Ulterra 80

outdrsee1

Ulterra 80

Post by outdrsee1 »

I'm looking into purchasing a new trolling motor for my 06 nitro and was wondering if I could get some feedback on Ulterra 80. The reasons I'm considering the ulterra is because I have some minor back issues and think that the auto stow/deploy would be beneficial. I also have a young son (2.5 year and already casting in the backyard like a champ!) that I'm in the process of teaching how to fish. Figure with spot lock it could help from keeping of from blowing into the rocks if we are tying up, or have a fish on.
Are any of you experiencing maneuvering issues while fishing shallow?
I primarily fish the delta because I keep my boat at a marina year round.

Thanks for your feedback it very much appreciated.
Jeff C.

Re: Ulterra 80

Post by Jeff C. »

I have the Ulterra for on my deck boat. I got it primarily because of the GPS enabled features: spot lock, advanced autopilot and I-pilot Link. The auto stow/deploy is great, as is the ability to raise and lower the depth of the motor with a touch of a button. However, I will say that the electric steering isn't conducive for working close cover like the Delta. The steering is too slow and noisy for that type of fishing. From what I understand the Ultrex is the best of both worlds with the GPS features as well as cable steering. However the Ultrex doesn't have the auto stow/deploy so you'll have to decide if that feature is important enough to put up with the slow electric steering. If I fished the Delta exclusively I wouldn't want the Ulterra, especially since the GPS features aren't that useful in tight cover.
bustout

Post by bustout »

yea the ultrex is much better. spot lock is awesome and you get cable type control in the pedal
Javelinman

Post by Javelinman »

I was wondering if you ever decided on the Ulterra. I am also dealing with a bad back and also bad shoulder and knees. Already have an Ultrex but still experiencing problems. Plus it’s cable is so stiff and is occupying a lot of real estate on my relatively small front deck. Did you get it. Happy? Any input would be great. Thanks.
DiscoBassMan

Post by DiscoBassMan »

I have an ulterra and love it. Auto deploy and stow work great. Spotlock is a game changer. I fish exclusively in the delta and live in Discovery Bay. Very happy with it. The one issue I have had is that once in a while it wants to keep rotating around and I'm afraid that it will pull the cables right out of the unit. Seems like that happens possibly when the gps signal is weak or searching for a signal? All in all it's pretty sweet.