Copolymer Line?

OCbassman

Copolymer Line?

Post by OCbassman »

Im new to the bigger swimbaits. I just purchased a Dobyns Fury FR 795SB. I will be throwing 168 swavers, hud 68 and 8" magdrafts with it to start.

My question is.
Would I be better starting with a Copolymer Line?

Thanx for any input.
Gary Dobyns

Re: Copolymer Line?

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Lots of guys will have a different answer here. With the baits you mentioned I stay in the 15-20lb test range. Lighter and I bust a few off and heavier I don't think I get as many bites. Might be my confidence. I either throw a good Floro or P-Line CXX. I love CXX as it's strong, abrasion resistant, and low stretch. My 2 cents. All are great baits too.
OCbassman

Post by OCbassman »

Gary Dobyns wrote:Lots of guys will have a different answer here. With the baits you mentioned I stay in the 15-20lb test range. Lighter and I bust a few off and heavier I don't think I get as many bites. Might be my confidence. I either throw a good Floro or P-Line CXX. I love CXX as it's strong, abrasion resistant, and low stretch. My 2 cents. All are great baits too.

Thanx Gary.
WRB

Post by WRB »

When I 1st started using larger swimbaits like the original wooden Ken Huddleston Castaic lures I used 20 lb Big Game and 20 lb CXX both around .018D. I soon discovered the reel spool diameter and width must be capable of holding at least 150 yds of line. The memory issues of .018 diameter copolymers or monofilament line are horrible on smaller spool reels. I was using a Calcutta 250 reel.
Changed to 20 lb Sunline Shooter slightly smaller at .017D and like it until random knot failures started to plague me, still a excellent FC. Tried braid and that was a nightmare regarding occasion backlashes in the wind.
About 5 years ago started using 25 lb Sunline Deifer Armillo Nylon line .016 D and now use it for all my swimbaits and wake baits without any issues.
Tom
rcjoutdoors

Post by rcjoutdoors »

I like CXX. I use 25 for added security. My buddy likes Izorline in 20lb.
80% off of SA Face Shields
Coupon Code: RCIR80
Bass boy dave

Post by Bass boy dave »

you don't need much for the 168. id say 15lb cxx. the softbaits I use 20lb fluoro and 25 for the biger baits
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

For the SWaver I like a braid to fluro 15-16lb 100% Trilene when I go heavier I feel like I lose action.

For the big soft plastic I use 20lb big game or Trilene XL. Truth be told I haven’t fished the 8” huds as much as the 6/8 and Optimum swimbaits
E315E7AF-CDB1-4A79-A311-5FF374E1F373.jpeg
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Bassmonkey1980

Post by Bassmonkey1980 »

Florocarbon Seaguar Invizx 20lb you want the swimbait /glide falling at the same speed as the line.
rcjoutdoors

Post by rcjoutdoors »

Bassmonkey1980 wrote:Florocarbon Seaguar Invizx 20lb you want the swimbait /glide falling at the same speed as the line.
good to know
80% off of SA Face Shields
Coupon Code: RCIR80
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

McCoy Mean Green or the "xtra clear" version. Best, most manageable co-poly out there in my opinion. I found CXX too stiff for my liking.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
DDG

Post by DDG »

Pline Tactical Flouro