Ranger or Nitro

riceman

Ranger or Nitro

Post by riceman »

I'm sure this has been brought up before but looking for some fresh advice on 2019 or 2020 models. Retired and wanting a 20ft/250 HP dual console boat. These are the closest dealers to me and it will be one or the other. Weighing price vs. reputation and quality and is it worth spending the extra $ for a Ranger. I am more interested in ride than speed but is there that big a difference between the two? Also what are your necessities? Are the Talons that important? Will fish casual tournaments not hard core tourney guy. Thanks for any input. a 21 ft Nitro or 20ft Ranger, there similar in size.
BAble

Re: Ranger or Nitro

Post by BAble »

PM sent
not4un

Post by not4un »

I have a 2017 Nitro Z18. For the price it is hard to beat a Nitro. I have had several Rangers in the past. I love my boat except Nitro uses cheap carpet and wood on trailer bunks. I have to replace mine already. I have an Ultrex and don’t have talons. I wouldn’t use them all that often.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Back in 2000 I was comparing the 19 foot Triton to the 19 foot Nitro and the price difference was not significant. I learned that the biggest $ savings buying Nitro was in 18' or less versions. Keep in mind that Triton was not nearly as popular out west as it is today. Don't get me wrong, I like Nitro but I've never owned a Nitro or a Ranger.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

Depends if you plan on keeping or selling in a few years. Rangers hold their value better. New Nitros are real nice boats but harder to sell used.
StanL

Post by StanL »

I’ve had Rangers, Skeeters and my last boat was a stratos . Now I have a 2020 z20 nitro with the new NVT hull . I can tell you this is by far the best boat I’ve driven. it gets up on plane super easy and it is a dry ride with lots of Storage Hope this helps stanL
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I would have to agree with Dave. I know - I have sold many Rangers as they wanted me to upgrade often. When I was guiding, folks were besides themselves to finally ride in a "Ranger!" Once a great name - always a great name - and that is important!! Just a thought - when I put my last Ranger 520 up for sale on WB.Com - I had a deposit check in my hand in 4 hours from a buyer 50 miles away! Nine calls the same evening. Folks know I don't race my boats like tournament guys. I also joke they know 2 speeds - off and 6500 RPM. My BMW can go 155 MPH, but I don't do that 90 percent of the time.

Have a check done on the engine! Many bass boats are very good these days. Check the width - you want room!!
ditchpanda

Post by ditchpanda »

When I went to purchase a boat I had my mind set in a Nitro. Unfortunately I jumped into the 18ft Ranger Z518 first cause I liked the color and wanted to see what the inside felt like. I jumped in the Nitro next and felt the floor move... immediate turn off. I tried, I hopped in a new Triton also which is between the two.

I ordered a 2020 Z518 dual console Ranger with Lowrance HDS Live units flush mounted in the front and console with the new Lowrance Ghost trolling motor. Picked it up last week. I’m super happy with the fit and finish of the boat, it rides like a dream I’m not so great conditions which I tested out already and it’s got more room for tackle than I thought.

I’m not sure you can beat the Ranger but you can surely beat the price. Just my 2 cents...

Paul
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Just curious folks, when comparing apples how does the price of Basscat compare to Ranger?
riceman

Post by riceman »

Thanks for the input guys. We rode in a Ranger Z520 on the lake where we have our Nitro Z18. A world of difference which is what got us to thinking the change. Being retired we figured why not get exactly what we want and won't have any regrets so today we bought the Ranger. I can say this is a lot better boat than I am bass fisherman and a lot of money but it will probably be my last boat, maybe 2nd to last, we'll see how the ol' body holds out.
BigBassDaddy1190

Post by BigBassDaddy1190 »

riceman wrote:Thanks for the input guys. We rode in a Ranger Z520 on the lake where we have our Nitro Z18. A world of difference which is what got us to thinking the change. Being retired we figured why not get exactly what we want and won't have any regrets so today we bought the Ranger. I can say this is a lot better boat than I am bass fisherman and a lot of money but it will probably be my last boat, maybe 2nd to last, we'll see how the ol' body holds out.
Congrats!! Good choice!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

riceman wrote:Thanks for the input guys. We rode in a Ranger Z520 on the lake where we have our Nitro Z18. A world of difference which is what got us to thinking the change. Being retired we figured why not get exactly what we want and won't have any regrets so today we bought the Ranger. I can say this is a lot better boat than I am bass fisherman and a lot of money but it will probably be my last boat, maybe 2nd to last, we'll see how the ol' body holds out.
Congrats, great choice!
riceman

Post by riceman »

The new boat won't be here for another week in the mean time the dealer said to go ahead and fish from the Nitro. Went out opened the left rod locker and the strut fell off. Somehow unscrewed itself, can't contract it back or twist it so if one end is tightening the other end is loosening. If I had any reservations about my decision, well not anymore.