Custom rod adjustments

Hookset5

Custom rod adjustments

Post by Hookset5 »

Hey all,
I bought a 7'1" St Croix BassX casting rod and I didn't like a few things about it. It didnt have much control at the butt section so I extended the butt section, PERFECT!
It was also too long for flipping so I clipped the tip 3" and put a new tip on. It feels much better in my hand, the action is perfect but I was wondering if changing the guide spacing matters? When I bend the rod, the line seems to be carried past the eyes and past the rod itself. I don't remember if it was like this before, do most casting rods do this?

Thanks
Chad Sweitzer

Re: Custom rod adjustments

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

This does happen occasionally on shorter rods. I'd fish it and see if it bothers me, and then decide whether to add a guide or not.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
WRB

Post by WRB »

Hookset5 wrote:Hey all,
I bought a 7'1" St Croix BassX casting rod and I didn't like a few things about it. It didnt have much control at the butt section so I extended the butt section, PERFECT!
It was also too long for flipping so I clipped the tip 3" and put a new tip on. It feels much better in my hand, the action is perfect but I was wondering if changing the guide spacing matters? When I bend the rod, the line seems to be carried past the eyes and past the rod itself. I don't remember if it was like this before, do most casting rods do this?

Thanks
Added a new tip? Do you mean added a new tip guide? Cutting off a rod tip 3" on purpose changes the action, anglers usually do this by accident!
Tom
MT

Post by MT »

You ruined a perfectly good rod. Best to sell a rod you don't like and then buy a different one.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Hookset5 wrote:Hey all,

Thanks
If it works for you, that's all that matters. Fish it and see how it behaves with a fish on.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY