My Time At Home? Can't fish - look at photos!!

Larry Hemphill

My Time At Home? Can't fish - look at photos!!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

I was reading my latest issue of Bassmaste (Mar 2020) and as always, went to the photo pages first. And again, a smile came to my face as I looked at the photos comparing the "in your face" 11-8 (#1) from Jason, to the "distant" 10-10 (#9) from Zach. Those bass are only 14 oz apart in weight!! All photos are very personal with several factors in play, and are often a "catch of a lifetime" photo. Photos are a very personal subjects, as they should be. So, while some conditions make it impossible (weather, night), you always want the camera to be "READY." If you are serious about your fishing (of any species), timing is critical, especially for the large size of fish you are going to photograph. They require a tremendous amount of oxygen, especially in summer water temps. Winter - the biggest concern is the deep water concern - air bladder. BE READY - you or a friend (in my case, a client) could be an instant hero!!

Another thought! Look at photo 10 with the 10-2. I don't like to hold a trophy by the jaw, but the belly IS in full view. In other words - the whole bass. Now, #11 smallie and #13 smallie. Do you want to see the fish plus 4 fingers or the max amount of fish with only 1 finger. And they were the same weight - at least so they said!

Finally - bottom 3 photos. 10-4....Don't hold bass under the belly - too close to their organs and ruins a nice girth

10-6....Hold belly out, not in. Seems like that was a long bass. Left hand back a bit
and only use one or two fingers

14.9....Hold that bass up a foot or so! A downward looking photo of a fish always make
them look smaller. I know, I have made that mistake!! Also, The subject of the photo is the catch and the catcher, unless the background is spectacular. Too much background.

The best photo of course - Tiernan's 10-3 - priceless!!! Even if he is holding his dad's catch!

Remember, artwork and photography are very personal. These are just some of my observations on a very slow fishing day. Or, non-existent fishing day - LOL!!!
bass king

Re: My Time At Home? Can't fish - look at photos!!

Post by bass king »

Hello Larry!

Hope you're doing well! I'd love to see some of your pictures from all your years fishing and guiding! Lets see some examples buddy! :D
Larry Hemphill

Post by Larry Hemphill »

You mean here?? Then everyone would post a bigger bass photo - LOL!!!
Addicted Fisherman

Post by Addicted Fisherman »

Sounds fun during this time. Looking at everyone’s big fish. Let’s get it started.