5' or 5'6" spinning rod

Rod Martin

5' or 5'6" spinning rod

Post by Rod Martin »

Looking for something equal to a Loomis IMX or a Phenix UMB rod in a 5' or 5'6" medium action spinning fast tip but would take a casting rod. Does anyone know if anything is being made like that any more.

Or any blanks that would fit. While I'm at it can you buy a 6' or 6'6" blank and cut it at the butt to fit.

And what is the difference in a spinning and a casting blank.

Thanks
TR177 Ranger/ Mercury/Lowrance/ Ghost TM
WRB

Re: 5' or 5'6" spinning rod

Post by WRB »

What power? Lure weight range, line type/lb test, reel???
The rod builders can make you whatever you need.
My limited experience with spinning rods is the casting motion is very different, more of a snap cast with spinning vs a wrist cast to load up the rod when using bait casting rod. Spinning rods tend to be about 1/2 power less with faster action then casting rods from the rod maker with same rating.
Tom
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

WRB wrote:What power? Lure weight range, line type/lb test, reel???
The rod builders can make you whatever you need.
My limited experience with spinning rods is the casting motion is very different, more of a snap cast with spinning vs a wrist cast to load up the rod when using bait casting rod. Spinning rods tend to be about 1/2 power less with faster action then casting rods from the rod maker with same rating.
Tom
I came to Florida from California and had never skipped docks, so I use a 6'6" medium spinning rod with a fast action and 15lb power pro for that. Was thinking it would be nice to have a shorter version of that for tight quarters

After backlashing a LOT of bait casters I found that was the best for me
WRB

Post by WRB »

I don't think a short rod is the answer.
Practice skipping out away from the target docks in open water. You need to develop the right wrist motion and casting angles, like skipping a flat rock. Casting tackle use a 1/2 oz arkie type jig with a flat beaver trailer. Spinning use a wacky rigged stick worm. When you get the casting motion dialed in then target practice.
Our public Califorina lakes only have docks at the marinas unless it's a residential lake with private docks. I learned to cast spinnerbaits under docks at Big Bear lake in the 60's before skipping was popular using what is called a roll cast today to bounce the lure under docks with a pistol grip bait casting outfit.
Tom
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

WRB wrote:I don't think a short rod is the answer.
Practice skipping out away from the target docks in open water. You need to develop the right wrist motion and casting angles, like skipping a flat rock. Casting tackle use a 1/2 oz arkie type jig with a flat beaver trailer. Spinning use a wacky rigged stick worm. When you get the casting motion dialed in then target practice.
Our public Califorina lakes only have docks at the marinas unless it's a residential lake with private docks. I learned to cast spinnerbaits under docks at Big Bear lake in the 60's before skipping was popular using what is called a roll cast today to bounce the lure under docks with a pistol grip bait casting outfit.
Tom
I fish in some spots with low trees and bushes along with being very narrow and shallow to the point I have to raise the trolling motor and am casting around it as I go . I have a couple of 6' casting rods for pitching in these places and thought of using one of them but the action is to heavy for how I fish.
I do practice with a bait caster but in these tight places a spinning rod works best for me.
I just thought it would be nice to have a short rod in the arsenal for these tight places

But thanks for the information
rico

Post by rico »

A Gloomis IMX SJR 722 would work well for skipping
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

rico wrote:A Gloomis IMX SJR 722 would work well for skipping

Yes I have a 782 GLX I use but have not found a 722 in my price range yet.

just looking for an alternative at a little less price
WRB

Post by WRB »

St Croix PC56MF or PC60MF are pistol grip casting rods that should work.
Tom
PS, you need flat water to skip a lure.
milehi

Post by milehi »

I live on a lake that's wall to wall docks & started skipping tubes a millon years ago with a 6' spinning rod. Once I had the hang of it I tried different lengths from 5 to 7' & found very little difference. Gave that up years & use strickly bait casters, more accurate for me & power
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

milehi wrote:I live on a lake that's wall to wall docks & started skipping tubes a millon years ago with a 6' spinning rod. Once I had the hang of it I tried different lengths from 5 to 7' & found very little difference. Gave that up years & use strickly bait casters, more accurate for me & power

I just picked up a CR661(5'6" ) Loomis I am going to try it if it works I will see about changing the handle to spinning.

Everybody makes great points but where I plan to use this I will be sticking it through bushes trying to cast around into spots I cannot get the boat into
So hopefully it works and I catch those hidden little 6" bass I'm looking for :)
WRB

Post by WRB »

Rod Martin wrote:
milehi wrote:I live on a lake that's wall to wall docks & started skipping tubes a millon years ago with a 6' spinning rod. Once I had the hang of it I tried different lengths from 5 to 7' & found very little difference. Gave that up years & use strickly bait casters, more accurate for me & power

I just picked up a CR661(5'6" ) Loomis I am going to try it if it works I will see about changing the handle to spinning.

Everybody makes great points but where I plan to use this I will be sticking it through bushes trying to cast around into spots I cannot get the boat into
So hopefully it works and I catch those hidden little 6" bass I'm looking for :)
Changing the handle to spinning? What about the guides! Good luck.
Tom
milehi

Post by milehi »

Whatever you end up with, what you're doing sounds fun
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

WRB wrote:
Rod Martin wrote:

Changing the handle to spinning? What about the guides! Good luck.
Tom

The cast I'm making will be measured in feet probably 20' or less we will see how much affect the guides have on it.
Who knows if I like what it does I may buy a blank in an action I like and have a sling rod built and keep this as a casting rod.
At 5'6" tall and my trolling motor with the shaft in the raised a 5'6" or a 6' allows me to cast underhand with the bait being released just inches from the water in tight places , where the longer rods I end up hitting the water and interrupting my cast.

I know I should just get better at casting but that's not going to happen . LOL
rico

Post by rico »

Rod Martin wrote:
rico wrote:A Gloomis IMX SJR 722 would work well for skipping

Yes I have a 782 GLX I use but have not found a 722 in my price range yet.

just looking for an alternative at a little less price
Take a look at the BPS Carbonlite 2.0 JCT60LS $119
WRB

Post by WRB »

Sportsmans Outfitters has Dobyns rod 40% off sale going on, DC682S is 6'8".
Tom
DOBYNS40 code with free shipping
Last edited by WRB on Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rod Martin

Post by Rod Martin »

Thanks to everybody that answered. I now have a couple of rods to test and see if I'm trying to do will work for me
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rod Martin wrote:
WRB wrote:
Rod Martin wrote: I know I should just get better at casting but that's not going to happen . LOL
I have exactly the same problem. It's right up there with getting younger and healthier. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY