Trailer Hubs question?

callwakeup

Trailer Hubs question?

Post by callwakeup »

took my boat in for trailer service just now; shop suggested i change my Ranger trailer hubs from oil bath to grease-- any quick advice? thank you
mark poulson

Re: Trailer Hubs question?

Post by mark poulson »

I did that.
This is what Pacific Trailer told me.
Oil bath bearings weren't meant for submersion in water, they were designed for trucks.
The cold water quenches the bearing's metal parts, which are hot from motoring, and makes the shrink. The cold water is pulled past the seals by the sudden drop in internal pressure as the oil also cools and shrinks.
I had that happen to my Ranger trailers bearings. The oil levels looked fine, but I was seeing water instead of oil.
I had may bearings switched out to grease bearings, just like my old trailer had, and was able to monitor them myself. This meant new spindles, too, because the old bearings had frozen and scored the spindles.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

thanks Mark! always great to hear from an old CBC'er.... i appreciate your detailed response
Trace

Post by Trace »

I had oil bath hubs that leaked. All I had to do was put new grease seals on the back side of the hubs, pack the bearings with grease, and install bearing buddies and grease them up. No issues since.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

I hated the oil fill hubs . My 05 I had always leaked. I have vault hubs on my current trailer . Way better system
bustout

Post by bustout »

In that year range, Ranger changed to a different company for their axles, etc. It used to be UFP and they changed to tie down engineering.

If you have the tie down engineering version (see tongue on trailer for axle mfg) , its junk. Replacement parts difficult to get and ranger recommend going to vault hubs (grease).

The UFP brand supposed to be better, Ranger still sells replacement parts. I have an 03 tandem. So far so good. no leaks.
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

X3 to the Vault hubs. Call Pacific trailer and see what changes over to your existing set up. I purchased mine (Basscat trailer) from Pacific and they were good to work with.
zmyers
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

Vortex hubs are the way to go.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

zdbm2004 wrote:X3 to the Vault hubs. Call Pacific trailer and see what changes over to your existing set up. I purchased mine (Basscat trailer) from Pacific and they were good to work with.
My experience, too.
CLEAN AND DRY
CBS

Post by CBS »

Hated those Cool Hubs I was always anticipating a problem. I finally got one when I launched at Orwood. I noticed an oil slick emanating from my passenger side wheel. When I pulled the trailer out to check I found the entire outer hub housing had fallen off. Fortunately I put a call into Boatmasters, Drew got me back on the road in 2 hours. Since then I retro-fit with grease bearings and Buddy Bra and I now sleep much better the night before I launch.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I've had Cool Hubs on 2 different trailers, never had any problems, and now have Vault Hubs. If I were to be changing from Cool Hubs, I would advise going to Vault.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

I have bearing buddies on mine ---- Here is what the owner at Orlandi Trailer told me .
Specifically for bearing buddies -- most people do not use them correctly .
He advised --
Bring a grease gun with you to the lake , upon arrival AND when all the grease has slightly settled due to heat , use the grease gun and carefully add just enough grease to eliminate the " air " pocket created when the grease heats up and settles . That will avoid the inrush of cold lake water into the bearing area and keep any potential rust from starting . Be extra careful not to OVERFILL and blow out the seals .
Additionally , I bring an I/R gun to check temps on my bearing hubs and tires to ensure I have consistent temps .If I get a " rise " on one of the hubs in temp , that should be a sign of bearing wear . I also use it to check the sidewalls of my tires to make sure I have consistent temps ---- you can buy an I/R gun on Amazon for about $20.00
will.o

Post by will.o »

Hello Mark,
Did you use Pacific Trailers in Newark to replace your hubs and spindles? And was it recently? I'm trying to get a handle on where the mechanic went when they closed a few months ago. I'd like to get some work done on my Ranger trailer. Hopefully someone on this forum has the answer.
Thanks.
Old dog

Post by Old dog »

I had oil filled on all 4 of my Stratos trailers. The last for 15 years. Once you learn how simple they are to rebuild you’ll like them. I just rebuild them, 2 O-rings, every 3-4 years. No leaking, no grease gun & no remembering to add grease. They have a rear seal just like grease filled bearings. They gave a sight glass face, which most people don’t even realize they have, & when you notice the oil has turned slightly clouded it’s time for the rebuild.
DAVE MOEN
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

will.o wrote:Hello Mark,
Did you use Pacific Trailers in Newark to replace your hubs and spindles? And was it recently? I'm trying to get a handle on where the mechanic went when they closed a few months ago. I'd like to get some work done on my Ranger trailer. Hopefully someone on this forum has the answer.
Thanks.
No, I used the Pacific Trailer down south, because I was living in SoCal at the time. Jorday at Anglers Marine had them build a new trailer for me.
After I moved up here, I needed some more trailer work done to the winch, so I called Pacific down south for a referral. At that time they said their shop up here had closed.
Maybe they reopened it. Call them and ask. (888) 479-6920 was the number I had five years ago. If that doesn't work, call Jordan at Anglers amd ask him for their number. (714) 666-2628
CLEAN AND DRY
will.o

Post by will.o »

Thanks Marc. I called down to Chino a month or so ago and the front office had no info on the mechanic.
Meanwhile another forum member gave me a local recommendation (Thanks!) so I think I'm good for now.
callwakeup

Post by callwakeup »

truly appreciate all the responses and helpful notes on this topic thread.. ive come to find that the 2005 class ranger trailers used some real different engineering - Tie Down hitch and break assembly's and these oil filled bearings for the wheels. Both of which appear to be a bear to service and find parts for.
thanks again to all above.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

callwakeup wrote:truly appreciate all the responses and helpful notes on this topic thread.. ive come to find that the 2005 class ranger trailers used some real different engineering - Tie Down hitch and break assembly's and these oil filled bearings for the wheels. Both of which appear to be a bear to service and find parts for.
thanks again to all above.
And really weak axle mounts. That was not Ranger's finest hour.
CLEAN AND DRY