Now that we can't fish what kind of maintenance are you doing to your boat?

d75bender

Now that we can't fish what kind of maintenance are you doing to your boat?

Post by d75bender »

Haven't had my boat out in 2 weeks and it feels like it's been a year. Was thinking today if there is anything I need to do to my outboard since it will probably be sitting for at least another 3 weeks? I've got all my batteries hooked up to a charger but is there anything anyone recommends that I should be doing to maintain my outboards health while we wait for the OK to go fishing again?
JL

Re: Now that we can't fish what kind of maintenance are you doing to your boat?

Post by JL »

Would be a good time to due your annual engine maintenance if you haven't already. I would check all your elect connections starting at the cranking battery and on the motor itself for corrosion, tightness, etc. Also all your trolling motor wiring for the same. Remove your trolling motor prop and check for line, weeds, etc. These are the things that if you have a problem with on the water will ruin your day! Another thing I do is go around the whole boat and check all the screws, fasteners for tightness. Vibration can cause a lot of them to back off. Good luck and happy fishing when it gets back to that!
Charles

Post by Charles »

Check and clean your battery terminals, water level in batteries (if applicable), check the cartridge in your aerator pumps in addition to annual maintenance. Just a few ideas
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

Fuel filters
Plugs
Oil if 4 stroke
Lower unit gear oil
Impeller
Trim unit oil level
Prop seal. Check it for fishing line
Batteries

Trailer bearings grease
Tire pressure
Trailers lights

Any upgrades you been looking to do
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Still fishing here Boats In great shape I always have a backup plan
I have private ponds I can fish from friends/customers that have land and river access. So I'm good for now.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

Changed lower unit oil yesterday , I try and do twice a year and have never had a lower unit fail
Also changed oil in my generator to prepare for power outages coming soon.
Also OP I dont suggest leaving the charger plugged in after batteries are charged up
J Gondal

Post by J Gondal »

Why not leave the charger on after charge?
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

No reason to. Ive seen to many boats burn up with un attended chargers .As long as there is no draw the batteries will still be charged 3 weeks later.
I plug mine in when i get home and they are fully charged in a couple hours.
Plug it in day before i go and even after a couple weeks they are still fine.
danny_c

Post by danny_c »

Changed the trailer bunks last weekend. Upgrading the bilge pump this coming weekend. Also have new wire and lugs coming in to rewire batts, I hate that the previous owner didn't use the right wire and lugs.....he used copper and what looks to be a center punch and a hammer to make the crimps :lol:

If Covid keeps us in past May I may just add new carpet throughout.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

installing new carpet ( about 60% done ) , then added new boat buckles , thinking about checking the trailer bearings
biteme

Post by biteme »

I did new carpet, new bow roller, wet sanded the boat and compounded it then polish and wax. Did new wheels, new gauges, full service on the verado, new steering wheel, new ultrex, made pattern for sea deck for floor. Waiting for them to send it now so I can finish everything. Oh, also sanded and painted the trailer.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

For those with PowerPoles” change you hyd fluid every 2 years !... the “Green Marine” bio degradeable fluid breaks down much faster the normal ISO hyd fluid !... actually turns to jelly like mess !... mine was 3 years old ‘ & very dirty!... after flushing & refilling’ my PP’s had a noticeable improvement in performance!.... check PP website for instructions!...
steve 101

Post by steve 101 »

Check battery cables and your engine power head for loose or corroded connections, also service all batteries. Check trolling motor for loose or damage electric connections, also mounting hardware. Check all fuel lines and primer bulb for cracks or loose connections. Replace fuel water separator cartridge if needed. Don't forget to check and replace if needed your water pump. Service lower unit lube if needed. Check live well and bilge pump water lines for damage and loose connections. Most motors have some grease fittings put some grease in them. And don't forget your trailer, check and service wheel bearings, lights and wiring and don't forget to check tires for any damage. A little maintenance now can save you problems on the water or while traveling. Good fishing.