What Size Jet Boat?

Torpedo769

What Size Jet Boat?

Post by Torpedo769 »

Good morning fishermen! I am looking to purchase a used jet boat. I primarily fish lakes but would also like to try the river. There is a beautiful 24' for sale but I am nervous that 24' might be too big. Would I be better to staying in the 20' range? What are the thoughts of the jet boat owners?

Thank you in advance
rico

Re: What Size Jet Boat?

Post by rico »

I would get the 24. My friend has a 20, we took it on the lake when it was windy and choppy. Either he didn't know how to drive it or jet boats aren't made for choppy water.
Torpedo769

Post by Torpedo769 »

Thank you for the info Rico, are you thinking the extra weight of the 24 would stabilize better in choppy water?
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

There are better forums out there to get the best answer you're looking for. 24' jet boats are used primarily for large rivers.
24' isn't that big once you get used to it and you're fishing a body of water that's large enough to support it.
You also need a place big enough to store it.
If its a good deal then I wouldn't let the length scare me away from the boat. If you want to fish in narrower rivers then a 20' would be better.
Torpedo769

Post by Torpedo769 »

Whoopbass wrote:There are better forums out there to get the best answer you're looking for. 24' jet boats are used primarily for large rivers.
24' isn't that big once you get used to it and you're fishing a body of water that's large enough to support it.
You also need a place big enough to store it.
If its a good deal then I wouldn't let the length scare me away from the boat. If you want to fish in narrower rivers then a 20' would be better.
That's a great point. I will be on Shasta Lake most of the time plenty big for a 24'. Storage maybe a concern though
Alex Shawn

Post by Alex Shawn »

I guess it depends on where you would like to fishing. If you decide on going to the river i will suggest 24'. It will also fit on a small lake if you can handle it.
Dek

Post by Dek »

I had a 20' jet boat and I never thought it was too small. 24 is gigantic for personal use on the river or a lake IMHO. Towing, launching, fueling, storing, maintaining-24' is a lot of boat.
Torpedo769

Post by Torpedo769 »

Thank you for the feedback! I will be on a larger lake and larger river. Does anyone have an opinion on North River? I love their boats, is there another brand that is as good? Does anyone want to sell their boat :D