Why is there no log boom @ Castaic?

Rick G

Why is there no log boom @ Castaic?

Post by Rick G »

One of the hot topics at the store this week is why no logboom. Some of our customers last week had to swim to the ramp, as the dock was too dangerous to get off on. Lifeguards had to block the waves so the boats can get on the trailers. Why? Please dont take this the wrong way, but where does the 'Freinds of Castaic' money go? With all the events at that lake why cant some money go towards a safer launchramp. Is it because they dont have anyone to move it as the water fluctuates? Maybe they can sell advertising on the logs? " This wave brought to you by Anglers Marine". What is the problem? Please advise. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Ray L.

Re: Why is there no log boom @ Castaic?

Post by Ray L. »

I have wondered the same thing for a long time. A couple years ago I was told that there was no county money for such things. I also just yesterday asked D.L. where all the money goes that F.O.C.L. gets. I have not seen many things done to the lake with that money. He told me that they stock 4 to 6 inch bass every year. If that is the only thing done with all the money raised, they must have stocked a lot of fish over the years.
I am not putting down F.O.C.L. just happened to be a timely question Rick asked.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
Topwater Terry

I am really, really fascinated with the fact...

Post by Topwater Terry »

that there is no log boom at the lake, so lets start taking shots at the FOCL. Sorry guys, but that's what it looks like, and it really, really strikes a nerve. We have been trying for years to put in a log boom, and have been given a whole bunch of lame *** excuses as to why it won't work at the lake. First off, Boating and Waterways gives out grants to fund projects such as logbooms. Several years ago, I contacted those folks (I did it twice), and I told them both times not to ask the lake superintendent about it. Well, as a teacher, I know that the first time you tell a kid not to do something, they think it's time to go ahead and do it. So, boating and waterways immediately contacted the head honcho at the lake (Ron C's Friend, the lady who few people liked), and of course she said "we don't need one of those." She also said there was a concern about people running into it! Since then, we have had two supervisors, I think the first one knew as soon as he came there that he wasn't going to be there for very long so he didn't seem to care. Any concern we had fell on deaf ears as he rarely attended meetings. The next guy was better, but was only there for a short time as well. The new lady we have there is great. We have made several requests to her at meetings, including putting up buoy markers in shallow areas, closing off areas for spawning, etc, and those requests were met the next day. They usually took weeks before. We may have a winner on our hands, and she has been working at getting a log boom as well. But it takes time, you have to cut through the red tape of L.A. County, including the fact that they are afraid they will have to pay for the maintenance of the boom. For example, I'm sure you noticed the nice new building that was put up on the west side of the lagoon about the same time we were fighting to keep the lake open (and sending members to board of supervisors meetings). Boating and waterways put that building up with your taxpayer dolllars. They did their job, but the county and state are still fighting over the use of it, and to this date, nobody is using it!
So you can't do these things overnight. We're working on it guys, but please don't think the Friends are to blame for any of this crap. By the way, it addition to putting pure strain Florida bass fingerlings into the lake, which aint cheap, we also help fund the Jr. Lifeguard program, and some of those folks grow up into the people who put on the wetsuits and help you to get your boat onto the trailer during rough weather. We also make other improvements around the park, put in play equipment, put in hot charcoal dispensers to keep morons from throwing their hot coals into the bushes, and we fund the best fireworks show, just for the community, in all of Southern Cal. It's about the whole park, not just the lake. Anytime we have a meeting I'll update you guys on the progress of the log boom. But start blaming someone else, not the FOCL
Terry
Rick G

Re: I am really, really fascinated with the fact...

Post by Rick G »

Looks like I hit a nerve, but at no point am I slamming FOCL. Just asking a few questions, But since I grew up in Granada Hills and have been fishing that lake since it has opened, the wind has blown the same direction and the ramp has had the same problem now for over 30 years. Maybe it is time for a different approach. How about the local clubs moving the boom? How about selling advertising on the logs to pay for its maintenance or installation? The lake is concerned with safety, hence the 35mph speed limit, they have to know that the ramp at times is very dangerous. Also saw the brand new patrol boat with twin E-Tec motors on it. Not a cheap setup. Please dont get defensive, but someone needs to get-r-done. How about 1 " lets build a logboom tournament". Just looking for some ideas. If Boating and Waterways does not have the funds, tell them you want to put it in with private funds and see what they say. Keep up the good work. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Topwater Terry

Rick, I know you're

Post by Topwater Terry »

not slamming us, I just write too fast sometimes. I think maybe I'll take something like that to the Friends meeting on Tuesday, an idea for an event just for helping to fund a log boom. I think that may have been talked about before many years ago. I also think there was some concern with the depth of the water around the ramp and readjusting the boom with the water levels contantly changing. I have never been to DVL so I don't know what their ramp is like, but I know that at Piru, Casitas, Pyramid, and Cachuma, the lakes I frequent, the boat ramps are in good locations, not exposed to strong winds most of the time. The Castaic Lake main ramp was just not put in the right place. Either way, we're gonna keep on trying. Stand by....
Terry
Kelly Ripa

Have you seen Cachuma's new boom?

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Only an idiot would have strung it across the best area in the lake and I am still seeing a bunch of guys fishing in the restricted area by the cistern. Sorry Rick but the folks that run these lakes don't seem to understand much of anything. EXCELLENT idea for Hawaii'n tropic suntan oil yada yada....The place does need help. I doubt that they read any of our B.S. so someone will have to take the idea to them and watch them do less then anything about it for a few years. At least FOCL is putting some fish in the lake ...Thanks Terry :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Rick G

Re: Have you seen Cachuma's new boom?

Post by Rick G »

Terry, Dvl has a large diversanary dock to block the wind and it does a poor job at best. It is simply too far out in the lake and the wind blows around it. Maybe it is time at Castaic to get some boat companies or motor companies to come to the rescue for this situation. You know the first time some poor child gets hurt on a windy day at the dock, then they will have a big lawsuit and the boom will get put in. Maybe the 'Bass Fishing Community' can beat them to the punch. Talk it over at your next meeting and let me know the obstacles and we can plan an attack. Mercury,Ranger and some large tackle companies would probably be very interested in helping fund this project. Hope you are having a great Dads day. Rick G.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Ron T.

Post by Ron T. »

Rick , the log boom issue is just the begininng, as for the lakes poor management . They spent hundreds of thousands of dollars last year on the new roadway and pay booths to the entrance that we don't use do to who is going to pay for a merge lane on to hughes , or something like that . Ya and how do you like that cop boat , Looks like it belongs on Lake Shasta . Oh and how about actually paying to REMOVE a handicap walkway to the water on the west ramp ! And that new building ? Terry , they are using it to store C.Suns sail boats and canoes . The only power boats permitted to run on the Lagoon AND ski .Who's scratching who there . Back to the log boom issue , all they need to do is close the main ramp during the windy season and open the west ramp . 90% of the time the north west blows in the winter months the parking lot is 3/4 empty any how . Look out fisherman , that big police boat is really looking to scratch an itch when its cold .
Ray L.

Post by Ray L. »

First off Terry I was not bashing F.O.C.L. either.I know many things have been done by your group.I am just interested in a safety issue and have been concerned for a long time about the ramp. Yes the county are idiots and your group has saved that lake more than once. I along with many others feel the county should have done something but is unwilling and that maybe your group could help in this matter.
Ray L.
Sponsors:
www.legendbassboats.com
www.waderods.com
www.allengmc.com
www.gambler-bang.com
orange county circuit breakers

Five alive is good for me
mark poulson

I read somewhere that the payments on

Post by mark poulson »

Karl's new boat were sapping the FOCL treasury. :lol:
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

One of the guys in our club sent a letter to Mike Antonovich who forwarded it to Castaic people. While they did respond, the response was "we are looking in to it."

Who knows what is really going on.
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
MCSPIN

Post by MCSPIN »

It seems to me that they are losing alot more money each time the lake is closed due to high winds as oppose to the cost of installing a log boom. Just a thought.

Gary McNaught
Don't forget your MCSPINS
A good bait for all seasons
Remember Clean & Dry
www.Linexwest.com
www.Anglersmarine.com
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=basssssman&search=Search
http://www.myspace.com/mcspinns
JeffJ

Post by JeffJ »

Hey Terry,

Just a thought, but why can't the FOCL hold more night fishing events on the weekends during the summer months to help raise money for the log boom. I bet they make a lot of money at the rate they charge to fish at night. Plus with the heat we have been having a lot more fisherman would rather pay that just so they don't have to deal with the water skiers and jet skiers. Just a thought to throw out at your next meeting.
Jeff Jue
Skeeter Boats
Bob's Machine Shop
Powell Rods
Perigrine 250
California Reservoir Lures
Amphibia Eye Wear
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Terry,
Jeff has a great idea. I know tons of guys who won't fish Castaic in the summer, because of "lice" and heat.
Of course, that's assuming money is the issue. Maybe there's more at play. With so many govt. agencies involved, I wouldn't doubt that there's lots of politics, too.
CLEAN AND DRY
Topwater Terry

All this bitching about how bad things are

Post by Topwater Terry »

does no good whatsoever if you don't get on the phone or email and contact Mike Antonovich or his field deputy Millie Jones. Tell them about the dangerous ramp and conditions in wind storms. I already know all about it, I almost jumped off the back of DL's boat a couple of years ago at the main ramp, during January! I was going to get wet but I almost had no choice. Contact these people, otherwise all you sound like is that big bag of wind out Pearblossom Way. Ron, if you're at the AC event on Saturday I'll talk to you more, and make sure to talk to Mike Stern, he can fill you in on some of these things as well. The new Police boat, the new Roadway, were all either state or county projects, and had nothing to do with Lake management. As far as having more night tournaments at Castaic, five is enough, if we start having more than that then we'll start having smaller fields, just like at other lakes. We cannot start taking out money from the night events to fund a log boom. Any of you guys ever read Western Outdoor News? You probably see that just about every other week there is a danger of another fish hatchery closing because of a supposed lack of funding. Groups like the FOCL, called the Friends of Hatcheries, have started up in places like Kernville and Mammoth. And you know as well as I do that when the state sees this they think, "wow, now we can fund them even less if they are going to be privately funding themselves a little." So, maybe an extra day event or two per year might be an option, but I don't think money should be taken out from the night tournaments to fund maintainence of a log boom. I'll print out some of these posts (don't worry, I won't mention names) for the meeting tomorrow and see what I can come up with. It takes time....
John Barron

Hey Terry

Post by John Barron »

Terry correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that most of your money comes in from the Night tournaments. I also understand that you can't have any more because of agreements you already have in place. I again understand that the majority (80% or so) of your money goes to fund the hiking trails and 4th of July fireworks show of which neither generate any money.

I'm not sure I read anybody really slamming The Friends but attention needs to be directed to Antonovich not FOCL. Send him a fax or call his office and start complaining. I will save you the trouble of looking up the numbers. His office is (213) 974-5555 and the fax is (213) 974-1010.

jb
Skeeter Boats
Cousins Fishing Tackle
Ardent Outdoors
Robo Worms
Revenge Baits
Tackle Warehouse
Trapper Tackle
Drifterz Elite Fishing Apparel
Peregrine 250 Boat Cleanung Products
edk91390

Re: Hey Terry

Post by edk91390 »

A number of years ago when I was a member of both the FOCL and the Castaic Bass Club, both were pushing hard for a log boom. We even had a date and a permit for a fund raising tournament. The state of California came up with a study, I can't recall what department or who performed the study or who paid for the study. The study indicated that a log boom would not do any good at Castaic. After that all entities invloved with the lake, county, state and federal bacame adamant against a log boom.

If a serious quest for a log boom is beginning, I would like to help out in any way that I can.

Ed K
Ben M

Post by Ben M »

Well I can tell you that Terry said it pretty well. He and I and other members are just as frustrated as you all are. The Friends of Castaic Lake and especially the fishermen members have pushed this issue year after year. Frankly we never get a clear answer, just another reason for delays . Terry gave you some of the reasons, and how LA county drags their feet, but if you are all serious, I mean really serious, come on down to the FOCL meeting tomorrow night 7:00PM Tuesday June 20th lower lagoon life guard shack (launch ramp area), and maybe even join if your tough enough.(har!) Help us fishermen FOCL members get it done. Numbers will get the superintents attention, possibility lighting a fire. Safety being the issue to get it done.

Great idea to help finance it with Ranger boat, Angler’s Marine and some tournaments. But I’m sure, getting the money wouldn’t be the problem. FOCL will jump to get it paid for, and we will do tournament events to get her done if need be.

Do we have the anglers support?

Mark, As far as moon light fishing........ It's the participation that rules the moonlight events. 54 boats at the last one doesn't open any doors. The FOCL $6.00 per person entry fee goes to the overhead cost at time and a half. Do the math that doesn't leave much.

I have to fight for moonlight fishing, here's my ammunition; 1st event less than 25 boats, 2nd event around 35..... 54 the last one. I just can't impress anyone with these numbers, to make this a weekly or bi-monthly event in the summer. My only carrot is to support the ABA/FOCL night tournament to get those anglers out to pre-fish it. We fishermen member of FOCL do this for us of course, and the community. The lake gets the parking and launch fees right off. And that's not earth shaking either.

Seriously walk the walk and help push the cart over the hill. How do you think we manage to keep the lake open some years ago when they wanted to close it. The fishermen and ski'er came out. I afraid this is a Fishermen fight.
John Barron

Re: All this bitching about how bad things are

Post by John Barron »

Terry give me a call when you get a chance.
jb
Skeeter Boats
Cousins Fishing Tackle
Ardent Outdoors
Robo Worms
Revenge Baits
Tackle Warehouse
Trapper Tackle
Drifterz Elite Fishing Apparel
Peregrine 250 Boat Cleanung Products
Ben M

Post by Ben M »

The BISC is now being open to us for our FOCL meetings. That's the new building across from the launch ramp on the lower lagoon.
mark poulson

Re: Have you seen Cachuma's new boom?

Post by mark poulson »

Rip,
Funny how that "vital" boom was down for so long last year, and no one said squat, because it was too much trouble to put back up, according to the head ranger at the time, Brian.
No one died, or got sucked up into the water tower. And the fishing was killer!
With the water so high, there shouldn't be a need for that big a boom.
CLEAN AND DRY