Need Help with bantam 151 mgl Xg

Mienace

Need Help with bantam 151 mgl Xg

Post by Mienace »

Bought it new about 2 yrs ago, saltwater used only. The yoke got broken and the pinion gear is stock to the side plate, how do you remove it from the side plate?
I searched with no results, saw a vid on YouTube, pinion gear Was not supposed to stock to side plate..

Help please.......thank you
mark poulson

Re: Need Help with bantam 151 mgl Xg

Post by mark poulson »

Try posting your question here: http://www.tackletour.net/viewforum.php ... 1dec9135e1
Bantam1 is the official Shimano rep, and he can help you.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

It is not stuck it is corroded. Pretty common on baitcasters not properly maintained when using in saltwater. Chances are you will need a bunch if parts including anti-reverse both xship bearings and new gears. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Mienace

Post by Mienace »

Thank you for the reply!
It’s stuck to the casting knob bearing
AVG.JOE

Post by AVG.JOE »

As Dan stated it is corroded /rusted in place . U can soak in cleaner( corrosion x) or something similar and try popping out with punch and rubber mallet . Likely u will need to replace that bearing anyway. U are goin to need 100$ in parts(estimate:2-3 bearings,possible gears,anti reverse)and I'm sure once u replace those parts ur goin to find a few more that need replacing due to salt. As a rod and reel service guy I wouldn't take on job cause of extensive corrosion.
Custom rod builder/rod repair

Hook,Line and Sinker
2019/2020 A.O.Y
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

My suggestion is call Shimano and send it in. Their customer service is second to none. As of two weeks ago their service department was doing one week turnarounds. They charge a basic $25 fee and parts are additional cost. I had two reels done recently and they came out like brand new. Smooth as butter. One more thing. Don’t use freshwater bass baitcasters in saltwater! Better to buy a saltwater approved baitcaster (plenty out there) with shielded bearings made for salt use. Daiwa, Shimano, Abu, and Lew’s all make good inshore baitcasters.
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

If you want to have someone repair it Id be happy to assist you. Shimano is curently 3-4 week turnaround, Im at 4-5 days. Feel free to give me a call if I can assist you. Dan

650 454 4938
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
Mienace

Post by Mienace »

Thank you Dan for the offer I’m pretty sure I’ll send in my reel to you in the near future, but as of now I cleaned and replaced the yoke and it work. The corrosion was not that bad It’s was better than I thought....