Evinrude apparently done!

Bass Pro Shopper

Evinrude apparently done!

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

Wired2Fish article:

https://www.wired2fish.com/news/the-202 ... -to-texas/

BRP Discontinues Evinrude, Mercury to Support Boat Packages

BRP (TSX: DOO; NASDAQ: DOOO) announced today it has re-oriented its marine business by focusing on the growth of its boat brands with new technology and innovative marine products. We will discontinue production of Evinrude E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines. Our Sturtevant, WI, facility, will be repurposed for new projects to pursue our plan to provide consumers with an unparalleled experience on the water.
We remain committed to our Buy, Build, Transform Marine strategy which has been underway since 2018 with the acquisition of Alumacraft and Manitou boat companies in the U.S., followed by the acquisition of Australian boat manufacturer Telwater in 2019.
"Our outboard engines business has been greatly impacted by COVID-19, obliging us to discontinue production of our outboard motors immediately. This business segment had already been facing some challenges and the impact from the current context has forced our hand," said José Boisjoli, President and CEO of BRP. "We will concentrate our efforts on new and innovative technologies and on the development of our boat companies, where we continue to see a lot of potential to transform the on-water experience for consumers," he added.

Discontinuing outboard engine business and signing an agreement with Mercury Marine
Following our decision to discontinue E-TEC and E-TEC G2 outboard engines, we have signed an agreement with market leader Mercury Marine to support boat packages and continue to supply outboard engines to our boat brands.
We will continue to supply customers and our dealer network service parts and will honour our manufacturer limited warranties, plus offer select programs to manage inventory. These decisions will impact 650 employees globally.
Pursuing new opportunities within Build and Transform phases of strategy
With this announcement, BRP will be positioned to expand its presence in the pontoon and aluminum fishing markets through technologically advanced solutions. We will leverage our track record of ingenuity through our R&D resources to enhance the boating experience with unique new marine products, such as the next generation of engine technology with Project Ghost and the next generation of pontoons with Project M, code names for new products we expect to transform the industry.
Maximizing operational and functional efficiencies
Lastly, we will consolidate Alumacraft operations from two sites to one. All Alumacraft operations will be transferred to St Peter, MN and our site in Arkadelphia, AR will be permanently closed. In addition, we want to upgrade the boat production facilities to reorganize manufacturing sites and apply the modularity model used elsewhere. This move is designed to enhance productivity and efficiency and to allow us to respond with even more agility to demand.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
jiggin4bass

Re: Evinrude apparently done!

Post by jiggin4bass »

There blaming it on covid 19 and not poor management. That's original I'm surprised they didn't blame it on Trump.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

It IS Drumps fault. Can’t really blame BRP, get the gov’t business handout, keep employees on payroll and keep said handout and exit a dieing technology to enter a new electric epropulsion technology seed funded by the handout. Looks like good management to me!

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

That's too bad they decided to go this direction. I wish they would sell the name and technology to another company so these motors can still be produced.
People say its a dying technology but the G2 2 stroke beats every motor currently produced in every category. The only question is longevity and nobody knows if these hopped up 4 strokes are going to last longer then a DFI motor.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I’m still using my 20 year old Ficht. I wonder how this will affect those with newer Evinrude engines and their warranties?
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

Still running a 200 hp black max. Just keeps going. I am the only mechanic to ever work on it

The old 2 stroke is just a big version of a chain saw. Keep good oil in it. Don’t let it over heat
Might put live you
biteme

Post by biteme »

Wait, from all the forums I read they can't keep boats in stock. But rude is blaming covid for being down for a couple months and can't make it?
If you can't make it after a few months your going out of business sooner rather than later.

Could it be they're ignoring the demand for four stroke motors? Merc seems to be doing ok.
Last edited by biteme on Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

monte300 wrote:I’m still using my 20 year old Ficht. I wonder how this will affect those with newer Evinrude engines and their warranties?
Still running my 20 year old FICHT as well. I think the article said they were honoring all their warranties and parts commitments. Not sure how long parts commitments are for the marine industry, ten years? IIRC there are already aftermarket manufacturers for Evinrude's. Mercury would hopefully fill any void in parts left by BRP, but maybe they think owners will be forced to repower boats with Mercury's. Time will tell.

It is interesting that motor companies are buying boat lines and getting out of motors. Decades ago it was the other way around. The motor companies had to buy up the boat companies to have something to hang a motor on.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

biteme wrote:Wait, from all the forums I read they can't keep boats in stock. But rude is blaming covid for being down for a couple months and can't make it?
If you can't make it after a few months your going out of business sooner rather than later.

Could it be they're ignoring the demand for four stroke motors? Merc seems to be doing ok.
This was my response as well. Let's face it the G2 was not a big hit and the market demand for 4 stroke is high and BRP did not have a solution. They miss gauged the market or wanted out and its always easier for execs to blame a virus then their own lack of foresight. I do feel bad for guys with boats that are less then 5yrs old have warranties and wanted to flip them or sale them cause the resell just plummeted.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
biteme

Post by biteme »

ash wrote:
biteme wrote:Wait, from all the forums I read they can't keep boats in stock. But rude is blaming covid for being down for a couple months and can't make it?

This was my response as well. Let's face it the G2 was not a big hit and the market demand for 4 stroke is high and BRP did not have a solution. They miss gauged the market or wanted out and its always easier for execs to blame a virus then their own lack of foresight. I do feel bad for guys with boats that are less then 5yrs old have warranties and wanted to flip them or sale them cause the resell just plummeted.
I agree it does suck for those guys. I hear that motor is a good motor and those that I've talked to at the ramp love it.

Maybe they'll just run them until they die.

I own a verado 250 and love how it is very quiet. When coming off plan when I first got it I thought the thing would die. To this day when I take people out they ask if it died hahaha.

There's just no beating tech these days. No oil, prop is as clean as the day I bought it. Plus my motor has 700 hrs on it and runs amazing. If it pops I'll buy a powerhead in a second. Love this motor.
Mark Hiser

Post by Mark Hiser »

Just read they intend to stand behind warranty's and continue to have service parts.