Potholes Fun

ttb31183

Potholes Fun

Post by ttb31183 »

My wife, son, and I spent Father's Day weekend on the water. Parts of three days were spent on the Columbia River, Potholes Reservoir and then Sprague Lake on the way home. The weather was great the entire time and we had a blast catching fish, swimming, and driving the boat around to keep our five year old entertained.

If you've never been to Potholes, you should if you are ever in the area. It's one of the most unique looking lakes I have ever been to and the fishing is great. The lake is filled with countless small islands and sand dunes with plenty of grass, bever huts and brush. The main lake is rocky and full of big smallmouth. We tried that a little but the bite in "the dunes" was hard to beat.

Here's a look at the lake with Navionics SonarChart shading.

The fish are post-spawn with many guarding fry and they were chomping a frog and jigs pitched into the grass.

We never found any real big ones, but plenty of three pound class fish kept us all busy. We even found a few nice bluegill on beds that were a blast to catch. It kind of brought me back to fishing as a kid and makes me want to target them more. My son sure likes catching them now.

We stayed right by the boat launch at Mardon Resort and had a great view of the lake in the evening while we cooked dinner. Since we had so much fun, we are headed back next week!

Tyler Brinks