Planning a Delta trip

Moray

Planning a Delta trip

Post by Moray »

Hello all. I’m new to posting on this site but have enjoyed reading posts for a while. I live in SoCal and Know nothing about fishing the delta besides what I’ve read on this site. I was hoping to get some general info on safe places to stay with my boat and areas to target for fishing. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Ray
kevin pugh

Re: Planning a Delta trip

Post by kevin pugh »

They are going into a summer pattern, at high tides there are still plenty of shallow fish, just think current flow and near deeper water meaning 10 ft or more, don't be afraid to fish the weeds and flats as long as it does get some current flow, concentrate off shore where there are breaks very close by or on the break, offshore sparse tulles are a plus, Let the current carry a senko where current washes in to a point or flat, Topwater has been good lately, square bills over the tops off weeds, dropshotting 7-10 in worms
Oh did mention fishing in or very near current flows, does not have to be fast flow, but dont be afraid to fish the eddies and breaks with fast flowing water. Visulise where the fish may be waiting for the current to carry a meal to them use that curent to drift a senko to them
At low tides move to the outside of the weedlines or where water is flowing out of flooded islands don't be afraid to fish 10 to 15 ft on some of these spots in front of where the current is outflowing
Good luck and have fun
Be careful where you stay in Stockton (sticky fingers) Tracy, Elk Grove or Antioch area may be better, Russios at franks tract would be a good area to launch from, great fishing nearby, I would avoid Ladds in Stockton
Moray

Post by Moray »

Thank you for the reply. With the water fluctuations is navigating tricky or dangerous?
WB Staff

Post by WB Staff »

Delta Reports are here, if you would like to read them for some more insight: https://www.westernbass.com/reports
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Moray wrote:Thank you for the reply. With the water fluctuations is navigating tricky or dangerous?
There are some good places to stay, I would check out B&W Resort Marina they have bungalows and a good launch ramp. Russo's Marine (if they are open to camping) It may be better to post where you intend on staying and launching from as to get advice as the Delta is so vast.

As for Safe Navigation - GPS and a quality mapping system are you friends. Stick to the main channels and dont short cut the tulle island points. If you stay out over the 10' zone you are pretty much in safe water to be running around in. Watch how other boats are navigating around the sloughs and it should be good to go. If you are staying near Bethel Island there is Dan's Delta Outdoors on Bethel Island and The Hook Line and Sinker in Oakley both can help get you setup for baits and what's going on with the bite.

As mentioned before you want current, dont concern yourself with "chasing a tide" as much as water movement and clean grass. If you have current your in a higher percentage place to catch actively feeding fish.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Charley Carvalho

Post by Charley Carvalho »

You could always try and find an air bnb In discovery bay and then possibly have your boat in the water the whole time and be centrally located
WRB

Post by WRB »

The Delta is a different world from SoCal. Leave your finnese tackle at home.
Get a San Jaquine delta chip for your sonar unit, the area is vast, easy to get lost.
Think crawdads in dark colors with high contrast, blue/brown or black/red work.
I would consider fishing Frank Tract area the 1st trip. This is a tidal river system with about 3' tide, use caution.
Tom
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Ray,

Drop me a PM once you get your trip set and I'll do my best pointing you toward a starting point. As Tom mentioned not really a system for finesse - Although the Bubba Shot and Stickbaits still account for a lot of big fish out on this river. But I am drop shotting with 20-30lb braid and a 12-15lb leader :)

Bring your frog rod, heavy flippin stick, topwater for that Brabec double Buzzbait and cranking / vibrating jigs and you will be set.

Seriously once you get dialed into the area you will be staying i would be more then happy to point you in a direction. Tom mentioned fish Franks tract and honestly you could spend weeks fishing around the tract and Dutch and Piper and burn a tank of gas while catching a ton of fish - but im sure you want to do some sight seeing :)

PS its easy to get turned around out there but IMHO as long as you can see mnt diablo its hard to get lost.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Moray

Post by Moray »

Thanks everyone for your reply’s they are much appreciated! Hoping I can make this trip happen soon.
TravisH

Post by TravisH »

If your new to the delta, the Navionics mobile App can be a very useful tool to navigate around an also keep you in tune with the tides..
Attachments
7C6F97E3-8B4E-40D7-8484-1DBBA9DFD732.png
Caleb.Smith

Post by Caleb.Smith »

I'll second what Ash has said, If you come to the delta tent camping is about your best bet. Although Sugar Barge has some decent little cabins to stay in,but not sure if they are booking right now. Cant beat Russos for a tent spot.
And prepare to move alot to find active fish, but topwater,punching and reaction will be your best bet!