Let’s talk about matching new electronics to trolling motor

Wannafishmo

Let’s talk about matching new electronics to trolling motor

Post by Wannafishmo »

Currently, I love Hummingbird electronics. I’ve had Solix and was pleased to find out the the Ultrex linked and could interact with the trolling motor (control it in some interesting ways). Well after using it for a couple of years I found I didn’t really use the link. Since I sold that set up I have an opportunity to start again and match my Birds with a new TM. I’m thinking about just getting the new Ghost(brushless) better efficiency. Probably won’t miss the link.

JIC,Anyone out there use their “link” often and for what purpose?
Topwater All Day

Re: Let’s talk about matching new electronics to trolling motor

Post by Topwater All Day »

I think the advantage of having the Ultrex with the link to my Humminbird's is huge! Spot Lock is great and I use it all the time, but a feature I use a lot is the Auto Pilot. I select a course, say going across a point in 25' for example, and I am able to see the course on my graph. I can then take my foot off the trolling motor and just focus on fishing that point, only having to make slight adjustments to the foot pedal. If I want to stay right on the 25' depth the whole time and not make adjustments, I will use the Follow the Contour feature that keeps the boat in 25' at whatever speed you set. I've now been in other boats that have an Ultrex and another brand of electronics and it still works, but you can't see your course on the graph or use the Follow the Contour.

Another pretty cool feature is to use the trolling motor to "idle" while graphing instead of the big motor. Drop the trolling motor and then sit back at the console and use that graph to operate the trolling motor with the iPilot Link. You can also select the front transducer if the HB units are linked so that you can see what's in front of the boat, not what you just passed over! This is awesome when fishing a little shallower and you don't want to go over the fish or an area with the big motor. Add in the new Mega 360 and you can view full Mega Side Imaging out in front, to the sides and all around your boat while sitting in the console and the big motor off... 8)

I'm sure the new Lowrance & Garmin trolling motor's are great and if you have that brand of electronics, would make total sense. But if you already have Humminbird or want to stay with them, then getting an Ultrex with the Link is the way to go!!!

Best of luck on your decision!
Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team
Wannafishmo

Post by Wannafishmo »

Thanks for your reply. This is why I wanted to start this discussion. Apparently, I will have to consider the “follow the contour”and auto pilot.

One other issue I had was interference with the Ultrex. I tried many fixes( ferrite rings, rearranging wiring, figure 8’s)but couldn’t get away from the streaks on my graphs when I hit the TM. The brushless motors have apparently solved this problem.
Topwater All Day

Post by Topwater All Day »

I run two Helix 9's at the bow, a Helix 10 at the console, MEGA 360 on an Ultrex with the link, all networked through the Ethernet hub. I have zero interference other than when I run the console and bow graphs on the same frequency...and there are plenty of ways around that. I do run all of my graphs on a separate battery and you almost have to with all the power these things need!

This is a great resource that you should take a look at, both the Humminbird forum and the trolling motor one:

http://www.bbcboards.net/
Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team