Clear Lake or Delta

fishnfire

Clear Lake or Delta

Post by fishnfire »

Have a guide trip coming up the first week of August for my son and myself. Hoping for my son to get a decent PB, his current is around 3lbs. We have the option to fish either Clear Lake or the Delta. I know we are still a few weeks out but if you had to pick one today which would it be?
Goin'Ike

Re: Clear Lake or Delta

Post by Goin'Ike »

Love both places but if chasing PB then is Clear Lake easily. Clear Lake is a Lunkerville fishery that's why is rank 1st All Decade lake. You 2 will enjoy and your son will get a new PB.
straightsixes

Post by straightsixes »

It’s pretty hard to go wrong with either of your options. If you only have one specific day you might want to make the decision a little closer to that date. Certain winds at Clear Lake can make it really challenging to fish as there are only a few places to hide. The delta has lots of breezes too but more places to comfortably hide and keep fishing.

If someone snags a Dobyns 805CB about 1/2 mile from the Redbud ramp... I would pay for its return, love that rod. Even though strapped down it didn’t survive a speared wave. Lots of other fisherman’s gear has gone the same way on rough wind days at Clear Lake.

Have a great time in your trip.
clum553946

Post by clum553946 »

Fishing at Clear Lake is really good right now and has been since reopening. I can’t predict how it will be in a few weeks & how well the Delta is fishing, but if it’s still on when you decide, I’d think hard about coming up here!
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

I'd go to Clear Lake. No CL expert, but most summers the bite is frequently off the hook in August. Temps can be 100+ but the bass don't seem to mind. The locals will tell you the big ones are tough to come by, but you will get plenty of 2-3 lbers and usually a 5 or 6 lber will be in the mix.

It sounds like you are going with a guide, so they should be able to give you some advice. If you are going with your own boat I'd recommend staying or launching in the south end of the lake. Say south of Shag Rock. If you launch or stay up north and the wind comes up, which it will, the waves can get ugly heading back up from the south.

Two years ago went up with my two sons. The youngest doesn't like fishing and only uses a spinning reel. The last day, off by 1:30 he had 50 and a 5 lber. Maybe 1-3 weren't 12". most were 2-3 #'s and a few in the 4's. Keep in mind I don't know what I'm doing out there. The oldest does love fishing and stopped counting after 75. 100 fish days are not unusual in the summer at CL.

Couple weeks ago I was on the Delta and had 20-30 bass with 3-4 maybe going 12". This is more indicative of my ineptness, but I think you have a better chance of coming up on a spot and being able to have three people fish easily at CL.

Whatever you do, hope you have a great time.
marinerfandave

Post by marinerfandave »

I just caught my PB on back to back days last week with fishing guide Bob Myskey of Clear Lake, you can see the pics on his website (a 6 lb. 11 oz. on Tuesday 7/6 and a 7 lb. 10 oz. on Wednesday 7/7). So I would have to say Clear Lake (and I live 30 minutes from the Delta).
marinerfandave

Post by marinerfandave »

Here is the link to those Clear Lake beauties I caught this week www.fishclearlake.com/july-2020
Hogbassing

Post by Hogbassing »

Clear Lake and if your looking for a true beast make it a night trip. An average day right know is 20 to 30 fish and a big around 5lbs. At night is when the big girls like to come out.