XD Crankbait Rod

XD Crankbait Rod

Post by 95340 »

Hi all,
I spent some time after the spawn this year throwing some bigger / deeper diving crankbaits. This isn't a technique that I have a bunch of experience with but I'm curious what rods are out there that people can provide feedback / advice on. I'm currently using a Abu Garcia Ike Delay 7'10'', ( absurdly good deal so I figured why not ) and while I like it for bama rigs I find it underwhelming when it comes to feel / sensitivity for reading bottom composition when cranking. Crankbaits such as 8xd, 10xd and such would be a bit too heavy as well so just curious what people are using. I like Dobyns rods, and an 805cb, 806cb, or 894 swimbait is a consideration. Other rods that are meant for deep or xd cranking that Ive looked into and considered would be Daiwa Tatula, ALX Grind or Powerbolt, various Lews models, Megabass Orochi Launcher, Phenix X series, Shimano Zodias, St Croix Legend Glass....

Thoughts, comments and suggestions would be appreciated !
zethkinnettfishing

Re: XD Crankbait Rod

Post by zethkinnettfishing »

I build mine. Get exactly what you want for half the cost once you have basic supplies to build a rod.

https://www.rainshadowrodblanks.com/pro ... crankbait/
Many other good options for blanks out there as well
AVG.JOE

Post by AVG.JOE »

zethkinnettfishing wrote:I build mine. Get exactly what you want for half the cost once you have basic supplies to build a rod.

Blank:100$
Deluxe reel seat:20$
Guides :40$
WiInn grips w/butt cap:30$
= 190$
Let’s keep it reel! U do get what u want but 1/2 the price? My math does not add up. Based on mudhole pro series blanks prices ( conservatively) if u have all supplies and just have to buy a blank then I agree.
Custom rod builder/rod repair

Hook,Line and Sinker
2019/2020 A.O.Y
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

For the big XD's I highly recommend the Falcon Lowrider 7'9" heavy. It's their "XD Cranker." Built for those big ones. I have one from 2 generations ago, and love it. I would think it would be great for A-rigs too, but I haven't tried it for that. It's at the bottom of this TW page link...

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Falcon_ ... e-FLC.html
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

Dobyns is very strong with CB rods. We make many models from 6'3" to 8 footers. It seems you're looking at deeper divers and here's what I'd suggest.

805CB- best baits are DD22 and 6XD sized baits. It'll throw an 8XD decent. It'll throw a 10 XD but it requires a lob style cast and you will not get the distance you need to maximize the 10 XD potential.

806 CB - It will handle the 6 XD, DD22 pretty good. It won't load as deep into the blank and you'll give up a little distance on casting. Still a good choice for these baits. It's an excellent rod for 8 XD and 10 XD baits. This rod was made for 10 XD baits but throws the 8 XD even better. I believe this is your best choice for the baits you mentioned. Many guys throw lighter weight A-Rigs on this rod as well. I do it myself and so does my son Richard and all of his buddies.

794 SB - This rod was made for lighter swimbaits like hollow body 7" and so forth. A side benefit is how awesome it is with 10 XD baits. It takes a lot of the work out of fishing this bait. If you're a die hard 10 XD guy, this rod is the best I've ever thrown. It's a decent 8 XD rod but has too much power for 6XD and DD22 baits. A great A-Rig rod if throwing ¼ to 3/8oz heads. This rod has been getting very popular lately. It’s mainly guys that are 10 XD nutcases. I also love throwing the Whopper Ploppers on it. You can cast crazy distances with it.

I hope this helps, if you need addition info, just let me know and I'll do my best.

Good luck fishing!!!!
zethkinnettfishing

Post by zethkinnettfishing »

AVG.JOE wrote:
zethkinnettfishing wrote:I build mine. Get exactly what you want for half the cost once you have basic supplies to build a rod.

Blank:100$
Deluxe reel seat:20$
Guides :40$
WiInn grips w/butt cap:30$
= 190$
Let’s keep it reel! U do get what u want but 1/2 the price? My math does not add up. Based on mudhole pro series blanks prices ( conservatively) if u have all supplies and just have to buy a blank then I agree.
ok maybe not half but its going to be cheaper than retail thats for sure. lets take a loomis crankbait rod retails at $355. your custom built rod is going to cost you less and be equal or better in quality.

I will add that I only prefer to build nowadays because I get what I want as most off the shelf rods don't quite have what I want and the ones that do cost $400. Now the Dobyns like Gary said has a full suite of crankbait rods to meet everyone needs (one of the few companies that has a solid line of crankbait rods). But still gonna cost you a pretty penny so IMO just build one.
AVG.JOE

Post by AVG.JOE »

I agree: u get exactly what u want .
Since dobyns has switched back over to Fuji guides ( from kigans) they have a very extensive line of technique specific rods and I recommend them highly if u can’t build ur own. The best part is mr. dobyns himself can and will help u find perfect rod: just post a comment and he usually chimes in
Custom rod builder/rod repair

Hook,Line and Sinker
2019/2020 A.O.Y
Tony M

Post by Tony M »

I agree with Gary Dobyns on the DC 794 SB rod. I throw 2-3 oz. swimbaits on it and the 10XD.
It handles the 10XD with ease. It gets my vote.
Tony Mello
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I’m looking forward to the new Abu Wench rod for XD’s
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/