Fishing Hogan Sept 11

WB Staff

Fishing Hogan Sept 11

Post by WB Staff »

IMG_0471.JPEG
IMG_0473.JPEG
This one comes in from Stan L

Fishing Hogan Sept 11

So, both my kids are in their 30’s and can remember what happened 19 years ago on 9/11.

We decided the best way for us to reflect on the day is to spend some family time together. I decided to take them fishing and wanted to do a little something different so we headed to Hogan.

When we got there I was surprised how many trucks were in the parking lot which usually means one thing, the stripers are boiling!

And they were!

Even so, we decided to concentrate on catching largemouth and smallmouth. We started fishing about 7:30 am. The lake was at 46% of capacity. The surface temperature was in the mid 70’s and the water had about 6’ to 10' visibility. There was a good breeze. The smoke in the air made low light conditions.

We started throwing moving baits. It didn't take long before we had some action on topwater baits. By the end of the day my daughter and I caught 8 on Berkley Choppos. My son stuck with a Ned rig in the 15’ to 20' range. He mostly caught smallmouth. The fish seemed to be in the last deep water in the back of coves.

One other thing I always thought was cool about Hogan is that they offer free use of life jacket program. If you need one, check it out.

Hope this helps. Good Luck Fishing
StanL
Attachments
IMG_0474.JPEG
fastfiat

Re: Fishing Hogan Sept 11

Post by fastfiat »

Good job. Thanks for the report. Thinking about hitting it next week.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Checking out life jackets happens all over the state of Idaho. Another bonus with New Hogan is low cost due to it being Army Corps of Engineering
jimmyG

Post by jimmyG »

Great way to remember 9/11, being with your family and loved ones.
Whoopbass

Post by Whoopbass »

Myself and a buddy fished Hogan 3-4 weeks ago. We rarely fish the lake so we targeted Stripers right at sunrise. My buddy being hard headed wouldn't listen to me where to fish, he wanted to fish up the lake in a some cove he had action in last year. The guy is always fishing old patterns no matter if it was spring when he caught em and now its winter. To me it was obvious where to fish being that all the boats stayed out in the main lake and didn't follow us up river.
No stripers in our first two spots but I did hang a nice largemouth on a crankbait that came off. I talked him into going back into the main lake and the stripers were boiling. There were some nice ones in the mix. It was a solid hour or more since the sun came up and those stripers didn't want anything to do with any lure we threw at them. Out of all the boats around us I only witnessed one guy catch a 10" striper.
I presume that if we were on them at sunup we may have caught a few but those stripers were focused on tiny baitfish.
I would like to know what bait the locals use in that type of conditions or do they just go home. The smallest bait we had in the boat were 4" flukes and some small skinny fluke that Berkley makes.
We ended up going bass fishing for a few hours and caught around 8 bass with nothing bigger then 1.5 lbs.
He kept whining so we went to Salt Springs and it was fairly tough. Only about a dozen fish to 3lbs.