Theories on why largemouth are getting harder to catch

WB Staff

Theories on why largemouth are getting harder to catch

Post by WB Staff »

Yes, largemouth bass are getting harder to catch. Some theories on why.jpg

Yes, largemouth bass are getting harder to catch. Here are some theories on why

Largemouth bass cruising Florida’s Rainbow River.isaac szabo/eric engbretson
Spend enough time at any boat ramp from Sam Rayburn Reservoir in Texas to Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota and you’ll hear a common complaint: “Man, it’s getting harder and harder to catch a bass.”

Your buddies will want to blame fishing pressure. And while real cause-and-effect is tricky to pin down, there is some good science to support those claims that bass may actually be getting tougher to catch.

Letting 'Em Go and Watching 'em Grow
Before we dig into the research, a quick history lesson. Sixty years ago, bass fishing was primarily a Southern thing. Many new reservoirs had growing largemouth populations, plus good habitat that was easy for anglers to identify. Bass fishing was excellent—for a while.

But over time, catch rates began to decline. Angler harvest was partly to blame. So agencies implemented minimum-­length and reduced-bag harvest limits to protect bass numbers. But the real game changer was an evolving catch-and-release ethos. Using bass tournaments as a stage, and with strong media support, the bass-fishing community promoted the idea of catch-and-release fishing during the 1970s. Today, live-release rates are at 85 to 95 percent among bass anglers, and fish are as abundant as ever in most waters. So…why aren’t you catching more of them?

Full story: https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/fishi ... -to-catch/
monte300

Re: Theories on why largemouth are getting harder to catch

Post by monte300 »

There's my excuse for not catching them! :mrgreen:
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I don't subscribe to that theory....Sorry you guys haven't figured them out. Remember they have a pea for a brain.
....................................................................... :mrgreen: .................................................................
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

Kelly Ripa wrote:I don't subscribe to that theory....Sorry you guys haven't figured them out. Remember they have a pea for a brain.
....................................................................... :mrgreen: .................................................................
Yes, a small brain, but why do weights get smaller and smaller each day on multiday large pro tourneys? Fish get smarter, fish are more beat up, etc.

Have you ever fished a farm pond that no one has touched for a year? It's almost like instant bites.

There is something to say about pressure, which is even discussed in more detail in the book, 'High Percentage Fishing'
https://www.amazon.com/High-Percentage- ... 1517384206
Beginner Bass guy, recreational
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

And yet a white spinnerbait still gets the blades torn off at Lopez lake. That's like 50 + plus years to figure it out. I don't really KNOW that the weights get smaller in a multi day tournament because of angling pressure and way to many maybe's to come to a theory. The fish at Casitas know what day of the week it is by the sound level alone so hard to say. I do know every day is different on the water. Casitas fish left alone for a mere 5 week hiatus from angling pressure/any boats noise etc because we were locked out for the covid thing left the fish chewing when we got back on the water but they still ate the same baits that they are famous for so...Nope I don't subscribe to that theory. I hope they figure'm out though... :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

Kelly Ripa wrote:And yet a white spinnerbait still gets the blades torn off at Lopez lake. That's like 50 + plus years to figure it out. I don't really KNOW that the weights get smaller in a multi day tournament because of angling pressure and way to many maybe's to come to a theory. The fish at Casitas know what day of the week it is by the sound level alone so hard to say. I do know every day is different on the water. Casitas fish left alone for a mere 5 week hiatus from angling pressure/any boats noise etc because we were locked out for the covid thing left the fish chewing when we got back on the water but they still ate the same baits that they are famous for so...Nope I don't subscribe to that theory. I hope they figure'm out though... :wink:
hmm you got some good points.
so are we making fishing harder than it needs to be?
are you able to catch tons of fish and big ones every time you go?
why typically do soft plastics catch more fish than hard baits?

always lots of questions, but this is fun to discuss!!
Beginner Bass guy, recreational
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I'd yak but I get up at 3:30 and trek off to work. Start another thread with those questions ...and yes "we" are making fishing harder than it needs to be. :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON