CA RIVER DELTA... WHERE SHOULD I GO?!

Jbowman

CA RIVER DELTA... WHERE SHOULD I GO?!

Post by Jbowman »

Hello to anyone reading this! I am from KY currently staying in Southern Ca. I have recently bought a beautiful bass boat I am wanting to put to use. I have a 3 day weekend coming up and am planning on making the drive to the river delta. I have ZERO idea on where to shoot for and fish. Not looking for your secret honey hole but general guide lines on where I should start off at. I am traveling from Rancho Cucamonga and will be there the weekend of Oct 23rd. Also since I am a KY transplant, I know the seasons here don't quite line up with back home. What temp/weather would I be looking at this time of year? What are going to be my go to lures? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Back home im not use to fishing any water depth greater than 20 25 on local lakes so its been quite the learning curve out here in these deep reservoirs!

Thank you greatly in advance,
Josh B.

P.s. if anyone that reads this is in southern ca I'd love to hear from you about our local lakes down here as well. I have fished diamond valley, skinner, Silverwood and Paris so far.
ryanerb

Re: CA RIVER DELTA... WHERE SHOULD I GO?!

Post by ryanerb »

I'm not an expert, but I guess I can give you my .02 cents.

The delta can be tough!
Don't forget you're dealing with tides!!

Typical lures would be a punching rig, frog, etc. This is probably likely more in the summer. Fall I'm sure could start deviating a little bit.

I wish I could give you more info, but consider the following:
- Read old reports on here, for this time of year https://www.westernbass.com/lake/california-delta
- Read articles found online like this: https://www.westernbass.com/article/lea ... rnia-delta
- Call some local tackle shops
- Get a fish-n-map of the area which will show some hot spots (franks tract, etc)
- Watch youtube videos

Tons of good digging online, hopefully some other guys can chime in with some more tips.
Beginner Bass guy, recreational
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

One more example of a recent report:
topic129543.html
Beginner Bass guy, recreational
monte300

Post by monte300 »

How do you like to fish? Are you a reaction bait guy or a finesse guy? Also, use heavy line. It's not because the fish are so big but because of the terrain. When you hang a bait in a tule it can take 17lb mono or heavier strength in braid or floro to reel down and strip your bait through the tule.
BAble

Post by BAble »

PM sent
dvkawboy

Post by dvkawboy »

Pm sent
Chad Sweitzer

Post by Chad Sweitzer »

Sometimes a Senko can really give you an idea of what the fish are doing. If you ever find yourself struggling throw a 5 or 6 inch senko on a tule point, catch a couple and then maybe adjust presentation or area looking for bigger ones.
PB: Spot-9.625 (Shasta Record) LMB-13.27 SM-4.36
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

Russo's on Franks Tract is a great centrally located starting point and it's where the majority of delta tournaments are held. They have a few camp spots or you can find a motel/hotel in Oakley or Brentwood. Lot's of great fishing right there in the central delta from Franks to Mandeville to Mildred. If you want to explore a little there's great options within a 30 min run in every direction: go west to Big Break and Sherman; go south to Victoria, disco bay, woodward, Italian, grant line; go east towards Stockton area such as disappointment and 14 mile (lots of tournaments held out of Ladd's on March ln), or run north up to whites, sycamore, hog, and beaver.

There's fish everywhere in the system and you could easily spend all three days within a 10 mile radius of Franks and be around lot's of fish and some real giants.... not to mention the stripers, lot's of fun on top water in any of the big flooded islands
fresnoron

Post by fresnoron »

First time there, probably best way to get started...check tide tables and try fishing an hr before and through high tide...toss a wacky rigged 6" 925 or 214 senko tight into the tulie pockets and on tulie points....may want to tie on a red or shad colored rattle trap for rock walls and points especially in the wind....these are just starters but you will quickly figure out what you need to do.....35lb braid tied direct to hook or 17 lb floro tip will allow you to strip your hook thru the tulies if you get hung up.

there are a lot of other ways to fish the delta but this is usually good for numbers of fish

Franks tract or Mildred island good places to start.....you can have 35 -40 fish days or you can struggle, thats the delta, but just know that ANY and EVERY cast could be a toad. have fun and report back how you do.

PM me if you like and I can be a little more specific...Ron
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER wrote:Russo's on Franks Tract is a great centrally located starting point and it's where the majority of delta tournaments are held. They have a few camp spots or you can find a motel/hotel in Oakley or Brentwood. Lot's of great fishing right there in the central delta from Franks to Mandeville to Mildred. If you want to explore a little there's great options within a 30 min run in every direction: go west to Big Break and Sherman; go south to Victoria, disco bay, woodward, Italian, grant line; go east towards Stockton area such as disappointment and 14 mile (lots of tournaments held out of Ladd's on March ln), or run north up to whites, sycamore, hog, and beaver.

There's fish everywhere in the system and you could easily spend all three days within a 10 mile radius of Franks and be around lot's of fish and some real giants.... not to mention the stripers, lot's of fun on top water in any of the big flooded islands
Yup what BDBR said - you don't have to wonder too far away to find the fish when launching out of Russo's. You can literally put down the trolling motor and be on fish :D As for seasonal techniques, BBT will be hosting our TOC on the Delta October 12-13. The cool part for you is that we video interview and post 1-3 on what they used for a successful day. Also there are historical interviews posted on the BBT website http://www.fishbbt.com :D

I am fishing that event and will tell you Shad starts to become a big player in the fall, topwater like the gunfish if its breezy or Spalsh It's. A vibrating jig like the Cricket or chatterbait will be a player, cranks or Rattle Traps have historically done well and as always a flip stick with at least 65lb braid and a 3/4 - 1oz weight. If you have a true punch rod having a 1.5-2oz weight to punch is standard out there as well. If the bite gets tough a jerkbait and dropshot in Margartia Mutiliator could be handy.

Dont sweat "running the tides" be mindful of the current flows and direction. Fish into the current and pay attention to what flows you are getting better bites on and start looking for that type of flow. Have fun, take pictures and enjoy the CA Delta - nothing like it.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

This time of year I would target the Stripers and have some fun.