BassPro/ Tracker review

Sie805

BassPro/ Tracker review

Post by Sie805 »

I hate to write this as I am not the type of person to bitch or write bad reviews. However, enough is enough and its time people are warned about the incompetence of BassPro and Tracker sales/service. I bought a brand new 2020 Tracker Targa V19 Combo Tournament Edition from BassPro. Along with the purchase I upgraded and purchased the following options: Upgraded 200hp Mercury Pro XS with DTS (Digital Throttle and Steer), Mercury Pro Kicker 9.9hp, upgraded DTS kicker motor controls (the salesman said this meant both motors were controlled by the same controller and function was transferred back and forth via the push of a button with no manual cables involved), full enclosure top and upgraded premium boat cover. The deal was cash payment without financing and as a promotion, BassPro includes a $650 gift card and 10% off everything for a year VIP card.

To start with, BassPro gave me a written quote and charged 3 hours labor for installing the options. I left to look at a couple other boats and ultimately decided to return to BassPro and buy the Targa 2 hours later. With the written quote in my hand, the salesman said they had made a mistake and they would now have to charge me 5 hours of labor to install the options. It took 45 minutes and getting a manager involved for them to honor their original written quote. I ordered the boat in May and was told 4-6 weeks for delivery. 9 weeks later the boat came in, but they still did not have the kicker motor installation kit, the full enclosure, the boat cover, the gift card had not been delivered (via email) and the ski pole that came with my boat was “given to a different customer” who picked their boat up earlier in the day. I told them I would pick up the boat as is and would bring it back when all the other parts had arrived.

4 Months later, after multiple phone calls, finally I’m told my parts have all come in. Their excuse for the delay was “everything was on back order”….. apparently even the gift card. I take the boat to them with an appointment for the corrected “5 hour” installation of all the parts. As an apology, they said they were also going to do a 20 hour service on the Pro XS complimentary. (Mercury calls for a 100 hour service but Tracker recommends a 20 hour service to ensure there are no indications of pending problems. It’s a motor and lower end oil change.) Miraculously, as I’m questioning them about my gift card which I still had not received, I finally get an email for my gift card. They also explained there was no such thing as DTS for the 9.9 kicker and they had sold me an $1800 upgrade I didn’t need. Also, the kicker would be controlled via a separate controller that uses manual cables, and the cover still had not come in. I had them cancel the $1245 cover. They said they would need some time to refund the “DTS” kicker control and the cover. 9 days later, after multiple calls, they explain the kicker motor was done, but they could not install the full enclosure because not all the parts came in, and the ski pole still had not arrived. They explained the delay was because one of their technicians had retired and others quit leaving them with only one technician. When I went to pick up the boat, they said they forgot to do the 20 hour service because nobody put it on the work order. They also sold me the VesselView Mobile and told me it would Bluetooth to my Helix 7 graphs to show me motor functions (apparently this is incorrect and it will only link to phones and tablets with the app).

So here we are, over 6 months later, BassPro/ Tracker still owe me a ski pole that came with my boat, the full enclosure, over $2,000 in refund and a “complimentary” 20 hour service. As for the boat and items I have received, they are great and I am very happy with their performance. Hopefully some of you find this helpful and if you do end up doing business with them you know what you could be in for.
Mitch

Re: BassPro/ Tracker review

Post by Mitch »

Not to be taking their side, but could it just have been the incompetence of that particular store ?? Would you please post which PBS you had such a horrible experience with ? It's like buying a Ford or Chevy, you can get different prices and competent service at different dealers.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Sie805

Post by Sie805 »

The specific store is BassPro in Manteca California. I would hope they're not all like this, but it also wasn't just one person I dealt with there. It was people in their new boat sales, finance and service. Hard to believe but I was trying to keep the post short. There was several other aspects about this deal that I didn't even mention. About the only person who new what they were talking about and was straight forward was the actual mechanic I talked to. He's the one who pointed out the DTS discrepancy on the 9.9 and told the service people they had to make it right.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

My suggestion is to always buy from your independent Tracker dealer. Prices are the same, you usually get a way more seasoned salesman and much better rigging. Besides, the independent dealers swap inventory and can draw inventory from the BPS. That way you get the same pricing at a dealer you can trust with a professional boat salesman who knows what they are doing. I am Biased FYI. Sorry to hear hope you get it worked out.

Rick G
Anglers Marine
Anaheim Ca
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
ILW

Post by ILW »

Wow. I've had some customer service issues with the Manteca BPS but never involving this much money. Sorry to hear your new boat buy was tainted. It is sad to say that a businesses service and reputation are all up to the employees and it is pretty rare that I see employees (esepcially in retail or food service) that care that much about the business. Backorders, delays and out of stock answers seem to be the trend during covid times. Probably not a lot many can do to change that but like Rick said, at least at some of the smaller independent businesses the owner has a little more control over some things, especially customer service and making things right when mistakes are made. Hope things work out.
Sie805

Post by Sie805 »

I guess I just figured since they're an official Tracker dealer and a sister company, they would be just the same as any other Tracker dealer. I was definitely wrong. I tried to be understanding due to the Covid thing, but Covid doesn't cause refunds and gift cards to be delayed. Additionally, Covid doesn't misrepresent what options or abilities sold items have. Hopefully it all gets worked out. Thanks guys
kb

Post by kb »

My name is Kent Brown and I am the Regional Sales Manager for White River Marine. I am the Tracker Rep here in California. If you could please PM here on Westernbass.com or drop me an email at KBrown1@whiterivermg.com and give me your contact information so that I can get ahold of you.

I will try to help you with the issues that you are having. With the Covid situation there may be a few items we are waiting on from supply chains like covers and ski poles but the other issues we should be able to work through. The boat business has been crazy the past few months with a large influx of boat sales but with that being said we want you to be happy with your boat. Let's try to make that happen just send me a way to reach you.

Kent Brown
White River Marine
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
bshort

Post by bshort »

The Manteca BPS service department has been terrible for quite a few years. Doesn't seem to have the greatest communication between sales, service and the warranty department.
JLBassin

Post by JLBassin »

I bought my tracker from Manteca BPS in 2016. At that time there sales/service department was good. Up until about a year and a half ago I always took it there for service and never had any problems. The last time I took it in to replace a faulty trim pump it was a **** show. I had to call and hassle them once a week. When I dropped it off I was told the part was in stock and i should get my boat back in about a week. I didn't get my boat back for close to a month. There are alot more details to this whole thing like the service department basically lying to me for a few weeks because they hadn't actually ordered the part until like week 3 of having my boat. It took constant phone calls 1-2x a week to get them to do there job and give me my boat back. Never again will I take it to Manteca BPS for service.

There have been other issues I have had with them in regards to service as well. Now I just suck it up, pay through the teeth and take it to Boatmasters for everything because they do solid work and have great customer service; although their labor rates are probably double BPS lol
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rick G wrote:My suggestion is to always buy from your independent Tracker dealer. Prices are the same, you usually get a way more seasoned salesman and much better rigging. Besides, the independent dealers swap inventory and can draw inventory from the BPS. That way you get the same pricing at a dealer you can trust with a professional boat salesman who knows what they are doing. I am Biased FYI. Sorry to hear hope you get it worked out.

Rick G
Anglers Marine
Anaheim Ca
I am sorry you have had such a bad experience with the Manteca BPS.
I'd like to share my experience with Tracker, as a contrast.
In 2003, I bought my first boat, a Tracker 175, from Rick at Anglers. Anglers brought all their Trackers in fully CA compliant, and rigged to fish.
It was Tracker's first year with an all welded hull, and they had problems with the welds cracking at the hull.
In my first year I wound up having a boat that leaked. Twice.
The first time, I took it back to Anglers, and they had the cracked hull welded. No questions asked, and no charge. I was without my boat for two weeks.
The second time, I took it back to Anglers, and Rick sent it back to Tracker for evaluation. After two months, they decided to replace the hull with a 2004. Rick and Jordan at Anglers helped me through the process, and really gave me good advice every step of the way.
The boat came back as good as new, and I never had another problem with it.
For me, a carpenter with no experience dealing with boat manufacturers, that was huge.
The point of all this is to say, next time go through a dealer that you know and trust. You won't be sorry.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Pat

Post by Pat »

I saw the post of your nightmare experience on the BBC Nitro forum. I am glad to know now which store you are working with. I recently special ordered and took delivery of a 2021 Z19 Pro through the BPS in Rocklin. The sales, communication, and delivery were all excellent. I actively worked with my original salesman, his manager and the business assistant. They kept me up to date on the progress with my boat. I was told it would take 8-12 weeks to get the boat. I took delivery one day short of 10 weeks. The boat was very clean and ready at the time of my appointment. The business end was easy and fast. I was given a very thorough walk through of the boat. I was told about the Mercury Vessel View module and when I said I wanted it, they installed it on the spot. I am very happy with the Rocklin Bass Pro Tracker Nitro sales and recommend them. Clearly not all Bass Pro Shops have problems like you experienced.

I urge you to work with Kent Brown, I have known him for many years and he will help you.
Good luck!
Pat
Sie805

Post by Sie805 »

Thank you Kent. PM sent.
Sie805

Post by Sie805 »

UPDATE: Kent Brown who posted above was able to work some magic. Finally TMBC has refunded the money they owe me. Now I'm just waiting for the backordered parts which is somewhat understandable in light of Covid. Thanks again Kent.
kb

Post by kb »

Happy to help you...… enjoy your new boat!

Kent Brown
White River Marine
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140