Bass Boat

New To Bass Fishing

Bass Boat

Post by New To Bass Fishing »

I am very new to bass fishing at age 70. Is it specifically required to have a "bass boat" to compete as an amateur? Can I have a boat with a portable live well?.
MichaelB

Re: Bass Boat

Post by MichaelB »

If you are planning on fishing competitively in tournaments you will require a functioning and aerated livewell.
Does not need to be "built-in" ..... there are kits available to convert ice chests into a livewell, but they do not function as well as a built in livewell. It is very much frowned upon to bring dead fish to the scales in a tournament.
Converted ice chests are also problematic during hot summer months when it is a challenge to keep fish alive.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

New To Bass Fishing wrote:I am very new to bass fishing at age 70. Is it specifically required to have a "bass boat" to compete as an amateur? Can I have a boat with a portable live well?.
You could fish as a non boater and not have to worry about the livewell situation
Bass boy dave

Post by Bass boy dave »

make sure youre rigged as per instructions and rules and have at it. might be tough in the summer tho. seen two kids in a john boat upset about 100 boats in a future pro tournament a couple years ago lol. boat dont make the man.. or woman. good luck and welcome to the sport. also a bass club or co angler entry might be ideal
MT

Post by MT »

^^^I was thinking of those same two kids when I started reading this. They kicked alot of people's butts on several occasions.^^^
WRB

Post by WRB »

New To Bass Fishing wrote:I am very new to bass fishing at age 70. Is it specifically required to have a "bass boat" to compete as an amateur? Can I have a boat with a portable live well?.
Welcome to bass fishing.
Do you own a boat now that you want to add a livewell to? You can certainly bass fish woithout a livewell, it's only mandatory for tournament weigh ins.
It sounds like you want to be a competitive bass angler as a novice. My suggestion is join a local bass club and learn as a partner in team events.
Tom
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

Join a club even if you aren't a club "guy" and you can learn from all of our mistakes and insights. If you've never been in a bass boat in a tournament there are a zillion things going on at once. You could fish with your portable set up but you will see it will be eating up your fishing time having to obsess over the fish's well being all day. Any time away from actually fishing in a tournament is wasted and that is something you cannot afford. At a club level you can get away with more than when thousands of dollars are on the line. If new to the sport the best way to learn is from the ground up and a club makes asking questions and getting serious answers possible. Most of us here were in a club at one time or another I'd wager......

Rip
Welcome to our sport. It is humbling if nothing else... :wink:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
BASNFAN

Post by BASNFAN »

You really don't need a regular bass boat. I got you by about 10 years now. I don't fish tournaments but I used to have a 17 ft Nitro. About 13 years ago, I figured out that it is easier to fall off a bass boat than say a multi-specie boat. I then purchased a 17 ft Fisher, multi specie with built in livewells and it works great for me. The only real dis-advantage is that it sits higher out of the water and will get pushed around by the wind more than a regular bass boat. I am 80 now and I am still doing it and blessed that I can.
Fish bite twice a day - half hour before I get there and half hour after I leave.
WRB

Post by WRB »

Hopefully you will respond regarding if you have a boat or what your goals are for bass fishing.
I am at the opposite of the equation and winding down my bass fishing.
I can't image bass fishing in my 70's fishing without of a comfortable boat and the knowledge to catching bass regardless of the seasonal periods and weather conditions. Starting off at 70 to competitive bass fishing is beyond my comprehension.
I don't know where you are located? If near SoCal I would be more then happy to share my 70 years of bass fishing experience.
Tom
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

One and done it would seem. I have an open back seat 90% of the time Tom. I remember talking spoons with you like it was yesterday...A couple of 9 pound fish for you that day I recall. I have to admit that the jig is my weakest club in the bag. I just stray at times into a swimbait/Big bait thing at times and it can be months before I pick one up. As I get older I will have to cut back on throwing 2x4's with hooks on them. :lol: Casitas has been an ever changing fishery/ecosystem and it seems if I miss just one week it can take me weeks to hunt'm up again.If you get the itch let me know.

Rip
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
WRB

Post by WRB »

That was awhile back when I had my skeeter...2005? I remember stopping at the bouy line metering some marks that turned out to be a school of big bass feeding on Shad. Stopped a got into a good Magabas spoon bite. Good days at Casitas.
Tom
PM sent
Marine1

Post by Marine1 »

Participating in tournaments (the ones I know of) you will require a functioning and aerated livewell. All power to you and good luck!

Jim
https://www.vaughnmarine.com/
New To Bass Fishing

Post by New To Bass Fishing »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I live where I am only 30 minutes from new melonies and Don Pedro. I dont think I am to old you start fishing but I will take all your suggestions and put them to good use.
fishndp

Post by fishndp »

Never too old to take up a new hobby/sport. You may want to consider fishing McClure too..Having previously had a vacation home up there for 12 years, I fished Don Pedro and McClure. Pedro can be a tough lake. Many times we could hardly scratch up a bite. McClure has a big population of spotted bass and I found the fishing there to be more fulfilling because spotted bass are very aggressive and school up more....May make learning the ins and outs of bass fishing easier on you.
Just my .02¢