Minn Kota Ultrex Busted

Vegas Bass Life

Minn Kota Ultrex Busted

Post by Vegas Bass Life »

I was out fishing yesterday and had my spot lock on. It was a calm day on the water so I totally forgot the spot lock was on. Was about to move locations so I pulled the trolling motor out of the water, forgetting I had the spot lock on. The prop sped up and hit the bracket it lays in on the deck. It was a pretty loud bang, and the motor completely stopped working. I also noticed the foot pedal lost all resistance, not turning the motor at all anymore. I put the motor back in the water and tried again, and there was nothing there. I then pulled the motor back on the deck and manually tried spinning the prop but it was stuck. It did break lose with minimum force, but I heard some rattling noises, and periodic resistance as I spun it. When I tried to give it power at this point the motor did turn on but the power was useless. The foot pedal stayed completely loose with no resistance, and the motor did not turn at all. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? I haven't taken the prop off yet, and am really hoping it is something as simple as the shear pin but I have a bad feeling it's much more because of the foot pedal issue. It just doesn't make sense. I have never broken the pin before so I am not really sure what exactly happens when they do break. Can anyone help me???
basshol

Re: Minn Kota Ultrex Busted

Post by basshol »

As for the foot petal you broke the cables. As for the motor not a clue.
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

As noted previously, it sounds as if you snapped the control cable in your foot pedal.
There are two separate electrical systems in the Ultrex: one powers the prop and the other powers the steering module, which is your power steering. With your boat on the trailer and the Ultrex deployed, does the steering module rotate the prop head ? If not you may have fried one of the two computer boards ( located in foot pedal ).

Whether your spot lock was engaged or not, even if you were holding the "on button" down, the power to the prop is automatically cut off when you pull the motor out of the water. This feature is designed to prevent your rotating prop from hitting your hull or the TM mount saddle. This was obviously not working, or none of this would have occurred to start with.

Good news is: Your Ultrex has a 3 year warranty, which hopefully has not expired. This would be covered.
Don't ask me how I know all of this !!!
fishercurtis

Post by fishercurtis »

I cannot understand why the spot lock does not disengage automatically when you pull it out of the water. I have had that happen several times when I accidentally stepped on the spotlock. 2k for a trolling motor. Should have auto cut off
It's All About the Hook up
Esin Restaurant & Bar, Revel Kitchen & Bar