Helix ultrex new boat question

Justin Hawkins

Helix ultrex new boat question

Post by Justin Hawkins »

Getting close to ordering my first boat and have a question. I’m looking to order a ranger rt boat and wanting to go with 8 inch helix units and an ultrex. I’m just not sure which ultrex to go with. Is there an advantage to the mega down imaging one or side imaging, or should I just go universal? Having a hard time finding info and the reviews on the mega down imaging one seem to be not very good. Thanks guys
MichaelB

Re: Helix ultrex new boat question

Post by MichaelB »

Am not a Humminbird expert, but do know the Ultrex I-Pilot Link will "connect" with your HB Graphs and allow multiple other features to be used, including adding waypoints to your screen which the Ultrex will follow. This is in addition the mega down and mega side imaging.
The Ultrex US2 ( I-Pilot / Non-Link ) Universal Sonar connects with Lowrance Graphs for 2D Sonar only.
The Universal Sonar Ultrex is also considerably less expensive then the Link & Mega Imaging Ultrex

Try the Humminbird Forum at Bass Boat Central ..... you will receive more knowledgeable responses.

http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=133
Justin Hawkins

Post by Justin Hawkins »

Thanks
Pat

Post by Pat »

My new Nitro Z19 Pro came with exactly what you are planning. I have the Ultrex I-pilot link with the Mega Down Imaging transducer. It came with 2 Helix 8 G3N graphs. Mega SI+ at the console and Mega DI+ at the bow. It also has the Humminbird network module which you will need if you want to connect everything. If you only want to connect two graphs, you do not need the network module. It is very much plug and play. I have since changed to a Helix 10 G4N Mega DI+ at the bow. I just installed that and would recommend the larger unit at the bow, especially if you ever consider adding the Mega 360. I did have some interference issues initially but worked with Humminbird support and have gotten it resolved. They were very knowledgeable and easy to contact with their online chat. With everything networked, the units will share waypoints and even images. In order to do the contour following you need to get a Lakemaster map card for the bow unit. The technique to do that is a little cumbersome, but once you figure it out it works pretty well. It will also "Go To" a location or waypoint that you designate on the map. I have only used that a couple times, but it worked very well.

I came over from Lowrance Elite Ti units so I am still learning. The Helix units are not touch screen and in my opinion are not as user friendly and intuitive as the Lowrance units are. The images are very good.

I agree that Bass Boat Central is a great resource. Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people there. There are also a lot of videos on YouTube and at the Humminbird web page. Have fun with your new boat, I had a lot of fun deciding how I wanted mine.

Pat