Helix not working right...Help!?

Hankrank

Helix not working right...Help!?

Post by Hankrank »

The helix 9 on the helm of my boat isn't working right. The unit itself is less than a year old and has been like this for a few months now. It also does this when it is on down scan and I can't quite figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions?
image0.png
Topwater All Day

Re: Helix not working right...Help!?

Post by Topwater All Day »

Not really enough info to tell what's going on there, but I would go onto the Humminbird forums at Bass Boat Central and see what you can find. Some really great info for sure and you can post your question as well. You will need to be a little more specific about your setup though...
Rob Ridge
Folsom Bass Team
Pat

Post by Pat »

Contact Humminbird, their tech support is very good. I have used the chat option and gotten a near immediate response. The people working that chat seem to be very knowledgeable.

https://www.humminbird.com/contact
Mark-C

Post by Mark-C »

Its possible the unit is experiencing voltage drops depending on how the power wires were run. Its always a good idea to run a dedicated power source to your electronics. Good place to start if you are having strange issues and don't know the cause.
JL

Post by JL »

Mark-C wrote:Its possible the unit is experiencing voltage drops depending on how the power wires were run. Its always a good idea to run a dedicated power source to your electronics. Good place to start if you are having strange issues and don't know the cause.
Some Damn good advice right there! :D
JLBassin

Post by JLBassin »

A note about what Mark-C had said about voltage drops, there is a diagnostics page on the Helix units I have (I have G3 units not sure which this is, but probably has the same page) that shows voltage. You can determine if it is a voltage issue pretty quick by pulling up this page and see the voltage the unit is getting from battery, it if its fluctuating rapidly and getting below 10 volts could be an issue. Most electronics have a certain voltage range for normal operation and if the power falls outside of that range performance and issues could arise.

Hard to tell the issue from the pic but pull up the diagnostics page and see what voltage is measured and observe. Also I will second the fact that Humminbird has solid Customer Service; calling them might be your quickest way to a resolution to your issue.
lp59

Post by lp59 »

Doesn't look like downscan to me. Not sure but it looks a little bit like a sonor setting with the boat on your driveway. You may lost your downscan view temporarily. Looks like a settings issue to me. My Helix has these types of issues. Humminbird will likely have you reset the factory defaults. The Helix will reset itself somehow and so I don't call them anymore for things liuke that, I just reset. Try resetting you factory defaults.