$736 for 2007 Evinrude Etec Injectors, $250 for 2008 Evinrude Etec Injectors!

golfmonke

$736 for 2007 Evinrude Etec Injectors, $250 for 2008 Evinrude Etec Injectors!

Post by golfmonke »

Well, I need injectors for my 2007 Evinrude Etec 150 and i'm being quoted astronomical prices on the injectors.

6 x $736 ($736) for a grand total of $4416 for 2007 injectors (5007179 and 5007180). Oh, and $30 EACH for shipping! LOL

While somebody with a 2008 would be paying 6 x $250 for a total of $1500

It seems Evinrude changed the design of their Etec Injectors in 2008, and now wants to charge their 2007 customers for their design mistake.

This is highway robbery, plain and simple.

How exactly does Evinrude have the nerve to charge their 2007 customers who have inferior injectors 3x the price to cover their design problem?

Not only am I done fishing, as I can't afford and even if I could wouldn't be paying $3000 more than 2008 Etec owners, but now I also have an engine with reduced re-sale value.

I contacted Evinrude 2 days ago to give them a chance to do the right thing and offer these parts at reasonable prices and I was told to go pound sand.
monte300

Re: $736 for 2007 Evinrude Etec Injectors, $250 for 2008 Evinrude Etec Injectors!

Post by monte300 »

You can check with Boatmasters, they may have what you need used. I recently got a good used tilt trim unit from them for my 2000 Triton for $500 that would have cost me $2k new.
Whoopbass

Re: $736 for 2007 Evinrude Etec Injectors, $250 for 2008 Evinrude Etec Injectors!

Post by Whoopbass »

I saw your thread on BBC. I don't post there but I do check the Evinrude section from time to time.
That site is full of nothing but A -Holes. The owner is the biggest one of them all.

Evinrude is way out of line here on their pricing. You unknowingly got screwed when you purchased your motor just like I did when I bought my G2. Great motor but everything else sucks.
I would look around for a used blown motor for cheap.
Good Luck
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Can't you have them re-built ??
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
MikeR

Post by MikeR »

There are a couple of good companies back East that will rebuild injectors but no one I found would touch an Etec injector. Fichts and Mercury injectors all day long but no one would touch an Etec injector. They have to be individually programmed and synced with the EMM, the motors computer.

Not to question the steps you took to determine the injectors are bad, but It seems unusual for all to go at the same time. I've lost three over the life of my Etec.

The EMM could be the culprit if you haven't had that checked. It controls your injectors. It's still not a cheap fix and you'll need an authorized Evinrude mechanic to change that out, but it is less than replacing all the injectors. The diagnostic software is available on Amazon for less than $200.

I used Barnacle Bill's back East for the #2 injector I just replaced. The cost for each injector is ridiculous but they have you by the short hairs. For my last fix, if it had been the EMM, I would have chosen to repower. Barnacle Bill's will give you the injector pre-programmed but you'll need the diagnostic software and boot plug to communicate the change to the EMM. I'm lucky to have my son in law that is a master mechanic and all around "fixer of anything" as a resource. He did all the "programming".

Double check and make sure the EMM isn't bad before spending any $$.
Always lookin' for mud lines!
https://signarama.com/locations/ca-ventura/
golfmonke

Post by golfmonke »

monte300 wrote:You can check with Boatmasters, they may have what you need used. I recently got a good used tilt trim unit from them for my 2000 Triton for $500 that would have cost me $2k new.
Thank you! I'll check them out.
golfmonke

Post by golfmonke »

MikeR wrote:There are a couple of good companies back East that will rebuild injectors but no one I found would touch an Etec injector. Fichts and Mercury injectors all day long but no one would touch an Etec injector. They have to be individually programmed and synced with the EMM, the motors computer.

Not to question the steps you took to determine the injectors are bad, but It seems unusual for all to go at the same time. I've lost three over the life of my Etec.

The EMM could be the culprit if you haven't had that checked. It controls your injectors. It's still not a cheap fix and you'll need an authorized Evinrude mechanic to change that out, but it is less than replacing all the injectors. The diagnostic software is available on Amazon for less than $200.

I used Barnacle Bill's back East for the #2 injector I just replaced. The cost for each injector is ridiculous but they have you by the short hairs. For my last fix, if it had been the EMM, I would have chosen to repower. Barnacle Bill's will give you the injector pre-programmed but you'll need the diagnostic software and boot plug to communicate the change to the EMM. I'm lucky to have my son in law that is a master mechanic and all around "fixer of anything" as a resource. He did all the "programming".

Double check and make sure the EMM isn't bad before spending any $$.
I don't disagree ... so far haven't found the cause. I have the software. My plan was to get 2 injectors and see what happend to them while continuing to test and monitor.
golfmonke

Post by golfmonke »

this might help a little...

The injectors are "dead", all of them over 4ohms, 3 of them are weak on startup and get progressively weaker up to about the 25 minute mark, and then turning them off one by one in the software has almost no effect on the engine, and the engine dies shortly after.

2 are "completely dead" after 25 minutes, 1 pretty weak, and the other 3 are also about 4 ohms and I expect them to go anytime. I've tested new fuel, both fuel pumps, no air in the fuel, swapped coils, spark plugs were new this year, fuel leak down test, injector leak down tests, and then swapped bad injectors with the "good" injector's into their cylinders to test. The "good" injectors work the same in the bad injector cylinder, and the bad injectors are still bad in the "good" injector cylinders. The ignition voltage is fine, timing light tested the ignition, engine temps are fine ~153 degrees, port and starboard, thermostats open fine when externally tested as well. Oh, and compression is an even 120 on 5 cylinders, and 115 on one of the "good" injector cylinders, so all within spec. I've never run anything but Ethanol free through my engine, I have the upgraded engine mount fuel filter (can style) , as well as an off engine fuel filter. I have always run XD100 oil through my engine. Oh, and no recent codes in the software reported.

The injectors are spotless, i've pulled the 2 "completely dead" injectors apart, not a spec of dirt, ran them through my ultrasonic while actuating them for several hours, re-assembled them with new o-rings, no change, same 25 minute degredation of the injectors and then engine dies.

So while I only need 3 at the moment, according to the service manual anything over 3 ohms should be replaced, and my guess is the other 3 will reach the end of their life soon as well, and I don't want them taking out my cylinders when they do go.

These injectors seemed to have just reached the end of their life, their operating environment and fuel supply is impeccable and like I said, when I pulled them apart they were spotless.
golfmonke

Post by golfmonke »

Mitch wrote:Can't you have them re-built ??
No, they are not rebuild-able :(, there is a guy who claims to be able to clean them, but i've taken the injector out of their housing and there isn't a spec of dirt. I've also ran them through my ultrasonic while actuating them.... I posted something above that describes what i've done on the troubleshooting just above..