Water visibility

Ronje

Water visibility

Post by Ronje »

Hello all
I've noticed that some of you give water visibility in your reports.

Can you tell me please if the figure given (say 4ft) is the estimated depth to which you can see objects or does it refer to something else?

regards
Ronje
Ronje

Re: Water visibility

Post by Ronje »

Does the question seem too basic and silly?

I can assure you that its not meant to be.

I'm looking seriously at lake water turbidity (water murkiness) and wanted to get an idea of turbidity by working backwards from the depth at which an object underwater can be viewed from the surface.

There's a big difference between that and actual depth to which light actually penetrates (which is twice that depth).

Hence the question asking to which "visibility" the reports relate.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

I drop a white colored bait down and estimate it’s visibility in feet as it’s lowered. This could differ from other colored objects in the same area but I use white as a baseline for water clarity.

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Ronje

Post by Ronje »

Thanks Glenn.

Would it be safe to assume that is what most others do (not necessarily white)?

Can I suggest that white is probably not the best colour to drop down. White will fade out before other colours which penetrate further. But it would serve as a standard baseline for your comparative purposes.

The one that penetrates deepest in lake water is actually red. Bit different to what everybody's been told, eh!

Drop a red bait down and when it disappears, you know THAT is where the colour fades out.

Thanks for the answer.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Good points, I will have to drop different color baits down and see/note the differences.....

I would say it's safe to presume most anglers are referring to white. I know a lot of anglers use white baits when bed fishing for example and not other colors. I guess to the human eye, white contrasts better than the rest of them..... It is this contrast I make a note of....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Ronje

Post by Ronje »

Bit of info for you.

White is not how a bass sees white. We humans see it as white but bass eyes are different to ours. They can't see white at all.

Anything white appears as chartreuse to them.

You see, bass don't have a colour receptor which sees blue. They're colourblind to blue but they do have colour receptors for red and green (with twice as many red receptors as green). And that's no coincidence. Its also why I suggested red (a bass sees red as red very easily because its eyes are specifically "tuned" to peak at red...well redish orange).

White is a combination of equal amounts of red, green and blue colours.

That's why humans see white as white because humans have 3 colour receptors (red, green and blue). So we see white as white. Bass don't.

Because they can't see blue, what they CAN see is only equal proportions of green and red which = chartreuse (yellow).

You drag a white lure around and the bass sees it as yellow. Then the question becomes how far does yellow penetrate the water and does it contrast with the greenish lake water background?

There's an awful lot of misinformation around about this stuff mostly quoted by the bass writer gurus (who everybody trusts) and some of who operate with the philosophy that its better to be confidently wrong than hesitantly correct about things.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

Interesting bit of information!

Thanks and good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj