Hirz bay launch-Shasta

Champion Jon

Hirz bay launch-Shasta

Post by Champion Jon »

Anyone know what’s up with the Hirz bay ramp? It shows as being closed and I have a camping trip coming up next month in that area. Trying to figure out what to do. Thanks!
Brianw

Re: Hirz bay launch-Shasta

Post by Brianw »

Its been a while since I have been up there. The launch is closed so there is no dock. Small boats were launching off of a road. Its doable and I don't think you would need 4 wheel drive. Maybe someone will have some recent input.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

With the lake being 108 feet down and dropping daily most camping and boat launch areas are closed. One option may be camping at Lakeshore East. There is little water in front of the campground now but there is a low water launch about 2 miles south of the campground. Good but narrow ramp, good dock, but lousy parking on the rocks.

I will take a few pics of the Hirtz Bay area this afternoon and post for you look at.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

Hirtz Bay campground is closed with some logging going on. I took these pics of the launch area, hope it helps in your decision.
Attachments
IMG_2386.jpg
IMG_2384.jpg
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

You will be camping a longggg way from the water down Salt Creek Road right now. Lake is way low. Better off launching at one of the other main launches.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Thanks for the pictures and information. That’s funny one person said they launched at Hirz bay launch two days ago. We are at a group campsite nearby that is open. I’ll find somewhere to launch the Basscat. Just hopefully not all the way back to bridge bay.
Jboutfishn

Post by Jboutfishn »

A good 4WD could launch off of the point.
Packer Bay is still open, although very narrow. Long walk up the ramp to parking area!