Quick Link:
https://wildwestbasstrail.com/.../clear ... m-june.../
#WWBT #Clearlake #ProAm #BestInTheWest #FinalEntryDeadline #RegisterNow
Attachments
2021 wwbt clear lake pro am.png
Dave Brabec

Re: WWBT Goes Back to Clear Lake!

Post by Dave Brabec »

Should be a shared weight event .10 fish in the livewell in 100 degree days no good.
Csuhchris

Post by Csuhchris »

Every year... summer tournaments+dead fish= no bueno!

Post by 392 »

This is a horrible time to have a pro am at any lake. These type of tournaments that time of year will hurt the fishery.
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

You cant blame tournament anglers that are going to be bring dead fish to the scales
for this tournament. But you can educate tournament directors on what stress it will do to that fishery at that time of the year and the heat won't be kind. Good luck keeping your fish alive.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
coyote268

Post by coyote268 »

Well we can all sit here and complain about it and do nothing but we can also take some action to stop this madness. I just email the director as I did last year in regards to this. People wonder why the weights of tournament bass have gone down so dramatically. Its because of the massive fish kill last year where the best fish for a weigh in were kept and unfortuantly for the conditions were killed. The lake and the larger fish population has not recovered from this and with the same thing happening this year it will continue to happen. Once touted as the best Bass olake in the country we have gone to just another lake. No, I am not against tournaments as many of you know me and I use before age caught up to me fished many and enjoyed it especially while competing with my Daughter Sandi.
Bassmaxx

Post by Bassmaxx »

Guys,

Its good that you care for all the lakes in California and not just Clear Lake. I can tell you this Tournament Director does not need training on Fish Care.. I will speak for Wild West Bass because I know what we spend to haul and staff the 3 Release Boats we own and use for our events. We also use mesh bags and put out more ICED- holding tanks than any other organization in the West. We penalize our anglers if they bring us dead fish to weigh and we are Constantly Training on how to Properly FIZZ our catch. All anglers can learn to care for our fish population better and that involves using Ice and Salt and not putting fresh lake water in live wells but once a day. We all just have to work a little harder when the water temps are warm. Clear lake is in as good a shape as it has ever been and we plan on helping it to stay that way. If you want to help during weigh- ins for any Tournament we would gladly accept and I am sure that goes for any of the organizations out west.

Thanks,

Randy McBride
Wild West Bass Trail
coyote268

Post by coyote268 »

Well Mr. McBride, Clear Lake is not as good as it has been in the past. While limits continue to be produced the weight factor of the limits has dropped dramatically and many of us blame the massive fist kill that happened last year where the heavier fish to be weighed in perished because of the conditions. Now to be perfectly clear, I do not put all the blame on the organization but partially on some of the contestants for their care of the fish. Many do not want to run their live well as much as they should for fear of running their starting battery down. Given this it is the responsibility of the organizations to do everything they can to minimize the fish loss as much as they can and also taking into considerations the stress the fish are going to suffer in these very bad and high temperature conditions I feel the tournament at best should be a shared weight tournament. I feel the present conditions of Clear Lake warrant this consideration. Again, I am not against tournaments and I want to see them continue but the organizations had better strive to limit the mortality rate experienced last year or more stricter condition will be forthcoming by fish and wildlife if they ever get their act together
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

Don't get me wrong I'm not against tournament fishing I am against tournament fishing in 100 degree + weather 1 or 2 day tournaments or 6hr or 8hr tournaments day or night in the summer.
Maybe when I said educate
I should have said both the DFG and Tournament Directors
And for DFG allowing permits too be issued in June July and Aug to fish tournaments. Not a good idea
So way is it so important you need to fish this tournament in June why not Sept. Oct. or Nov. in much cooler weather.
Home Of The Original Puffball Jig
Building and fishing custom jigs
since 1977
Madera Ca.
Favorite Lakes
Eastman
Hensley
Csuhchris

Post by Csuhchris »

Why not utilize the kayak format during summer? Catch, record, release. TourneyX is money and anglers will understand...
MRoy

Post by MRoy »

I second the idea of a catch, record & release model at this time of the year. It's not as exciting as a live weigh in, but a thousand times better for the health of the bass population.
Pat

Post by Pat »

I was on Clear Lake the last two days, immediately after the WWBT Pro/Am. The water temperature was 68-74 degrees depending on time and where we were on the lake. This is not excessively high water temperatures for largemouth bass. With proper livewell care, weigh-in tank and release boat management the fish should survive just fine. Even after the lake had just been "pounded" by hundreds of tournament anglers, the fishing for us was was excellent with decent numbers, size and good healthy fish. California DFW has a 6 hour tournament restriction between June 15 and September 15. These restrictions were developed by professional fisheries biologists, some who are avid fishermen and even tournament anglers. I salute organizations like WWBT for their efforts to promote safe fish handling and survival of the resource.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

Good thing the WWBT wasn’t this week ! Triple digit temps all week !..