Russo’s (Delta questions)

pflat

Russo’s (Delta questions)

Post by pflat »

Thinking about coming to the delta for the first time and may be staying there a few days…. Thinking about launching out of Frank’s Tract area (we may be staying in that area).. Is there any issues launching from Russo’s?

Also, wife and daughter will be with me, my daughter hasn’t learned how to use a casting setup so she’s limited to spinning gear..I was thinking about spooling up some 10 lb mono for her and just have her toss Senko’s or maybe even Speed Traps on weed edges? Any areas or tips would be appreciated.. Or anything to watch out for? iv’e only fished reservoirs my whole like and the delta is a little intimidating lol…
Last edited by pflat on Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

Re: Russo’s (Delta questions)

Post by Mike »

If you’re looking to camp then Sugar Barge is probably a better fit. They are about 1/2 mile apart and have a big camping/trailer area and a great restaurant.

As far as your daughter, I’d recommend spoiling her up with 30# braid. It comes through the weeds way better and she won’t get her heart broken on a Delta giant.
OG on WB since 1993
pflat

Post by pflat »

Mike wrote:If you’re looking to camp then Sugar Barge is probably a better fit. They are about 1/2 mile apart and have a big camping/trailer area and a great restaurant.

As far as your daughter, I’d recommend spoiling her up with 30# braid. It comes through the weeds way better and she won’t get her heart broken on a Delta giant.
Thanks for the info about about Sugar Barge, I’ll check into that and spool up some braid on a couple spinning rods for her..
MasterBassinator

Post by MasterBassinator »

pflat wrote:Thinking about coming to the delta for the first time and may be staying there a few days…. Thinking about launching out of Frank’s Tract area (we may be staying in that area).. Is there any issues launching from Russo’s?

Also, wife and daughter will be with me, my daughter hasn’t learned how to use a casting setup so she’s limited to spinning gear..I was thinking about spooling up some 10 lb mono for her and just have her toss Senko’s or maybe even Speed Traps on weed edges? Any areas or tips would be appreciated.. Or anything to watch out for? iv’e only fished reservoirs my whole like and the delta is a little intimidating lol…
Be careful of submerged objects (pipes, logs, boats, etc), stupid jet skiers, people ignoring the no wake zones, and large boats. Oh and nothing is really marked on the delta so you can easily harm yourself or your boat if you're not careful. Just go slow, have your killswitch hooked up to your life jacket and you should be good.

If it's a super windy day, no worries. You usually can find protected areas to fish that aren't so bad.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

pflat wrote:Thinking about coming to the delta for the first time and may be staying there a few days…. Thinking about launching out of Frank’s Tract area (we may be staying in that area).. Is there any issues launching from Russo’s?

Russo's ramp is the best one to launch from around Franks Tract.
The Delta is tricky if you're zooming around at low tide, but Franks Tract is a great place to begin learning it.
You can stay inside Franks, or in the sloughs surrounding it, and catch fish all day.
Navionics is a good place to begin learning about it.
https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#b ... %60gFtiheV
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I don’t suggest running around Frank’s Tract willy nilly because of submerged obstacles. If you decide to leave Frank’s choose a direct line and cross it ASAP.
AmberRusso

Post by AmberRusso »

Hi, I think it’s awesome your getting your daughter into fishing. The delta can be intimidating and yes there are hazards to watch out for especially if your in the middle of the tract or anywhere near little Frank’s however, it is a great place to catch a lot of fish. Your best bet would be fishing the inside of the wall “ the wall is a concrete wave break wall the goes from russos down to sugar barge” so regardless where you decide to stay ( russo’s/sugar barge” when you launch your boat you will automatically be on the “inside of the wall” which is where I suggest you start fishing. You can fish all the riprap tule berms and weed line that is pushed up against the wall from Sugar barge all the way down to russo‘s or from russo‘s all the way down to Sugar barge and catch fish. This will avoid any hazards, it’ll keep you protected from the wind and your daughter will be able to catch some nice fish on her spinning set up. If you do decide to venture out just be careful and go slow. Make sure you have a small red crank bait and a green pumpkin senko. The frog bite is getting better to. If it’s windy, use a chartreuse and white blade with gold blades. We would love to have you stay with us. We have a quiet campground with 30 amp power snd water hookups. We also offer boat slips for 20$ Per day To keep your boat in the water during your stay making it convenient to come and go as you please. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Good luck
Baseball

Post by Baseball »

Both are great. Russos is quit and the fisherman’s hotel. With the Rusty porthole, right next door. Fun restaurant. Sugar is the family resort w a pool. Lots of family camping. Don’t worry about Frank’s. Easy to navigate. Just don’t run on low tide. Miles and miles of fishy water.
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Baseball wrote:Both are great. Russos is quit and the fisherman’s hotel. With the Rusty porthole, right next door. Fun restaurant. Sugar is the family resort w a pool. Lots of family camping. Don’t worry about Frank’s. Easy to navigate. Just don’t run on low tide. Miles and miles of fishy water.
Does the Rusty Porthole still offer biscuits and gravy called the Porthole Special? Way back in the day that plate full of biscuits with white sausage gravy cost $5
pflat

Post by pflat »

Thank you everyone for the info, much appreciated!
Baseball

Post by Baseball »

Not sure about the porthole special. I’m sure they do. Only been there for dinner, after a long day fishing. Still have the New York steak sandwich, and the drinks are strong!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Baseball wrote: the drinks are strong!
I can attest to this :twisted:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/