Yang Top Western Angler at B.A.S.S. National Championship

MKA

Yang Top Western Angler at B.A.S.S. National Championship

Post by MKA »

Image-1.jpg
https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/

Pua Yang of Elk Grove, CA was the highest finishing west coast angler competing in the 2021 B.A.S.S. Nation Kayak Series National Championship on Possum Kingdom Lake on June 9th. and 10th. in Mineral Wells, Texas. Yang climbed his way to a 16th. place finish out of 146 of the nation’s best kayak anglers with a 2-day total of 167.50 inches. I was able to catch up with him this week for a Q&A and here’s what he had to say:

MKA: How did you qualify for the National Championship?
PY: I qualified for the event with an 8th place finish at the 2020 Clear Lake HUK B.A.S.S. Nation event on August 29th. with an 88.75-inch limit. Unlike this year, the water was higher and the docks were more productive. I was throwing texas rigged creatures and stickbaits in the County Park area of the lake.

MKA: Have you ever fished in Texas before or out of the state of California?
PY: I have never fished in Texas before but last year I did have the opportunity to fish the Hobie BOS National Championship in Knoxville, Tennessee.

MKA: With no experience on Texas fisheries, how did you prepare for Possum Kingdom?
PY: Last years’ experience at the Hobie TOC taught me to keep it simple, fish my strengths and not bring too much gear.

MKA: Since you mentioned it, what are your strengths?
PY: Texas rigged creature and worms, and reaction baits (specifically bladed jigs).

MKA: How was your prefish?
PY: The first day of prefish I found muddy water in the first 3 spots. I was able to find some better water on the second day and was able to get 95 to 97 inches in 2 hours. The final day of prefish I went back to the same spot I found on day 2 and found it to be slightly more stained but the fish were still there and I finalized that spot as my starting point for the tournament.

MKA: Tell me about competition day.
PY: I started the day working the docks I found in prefish with texas rigged plastics and a flipping jig. I then started skipping the bladed jig up under the docks. When they stopped eating the bladed jig, I picked up the swim jig for a more subtle approach. I ended the day in 20th place with 84.75 inches.

MKA: After a strong finish on day 1, how did you approach day 2?
PY: The water had more stain to it on day 2 but I stuck with the same plan as day 1. I started on the docks, fished them a little faster this time and was able to secure my five fish limit, although it took a little longer than it did on day 1. I then slowed down and started working the swim jig once they stopped eating the bladed jig. I lost a few good ones on the underwater dock support structures, it wasn’t easy getting them out from under the docks. I ended day 2 with 82.75 inches for a two-day total that put me in 16th place overall with a 2-day total of 167.50 inches.

MKA: Coming off a strong finish at the National Championship, what’s up next for Pua Yang?
PY: I’m heading up to Clear Lake this coming weekend for the Yak-A-Bass event and also preparing for the Yak-A-Bass / KBF events on Clear Lake in August. Hopefully, I can do well enough in the KBF events to find my way to Louisiana for the KBF National Championship.

Yang has made a big splash on the CA kayak bass fishing scene in both live and online events and you will continue to see his name at the top of the standings (especially on the California Delta).