Is color important? (reply to the post on color)

Senkosam

Is color important? (reply to the post on color)

Post by Senkosam »

These are colors I can count on for all water clarities and at depths less than 15':
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Why these color choices? What matters is that fish strike these lures in the colors shown. Every lure shape posted catches most fish species. This is my formula that includes certain elements that result in the strike:
lure size + lure shape = lure action Lure color brightness and maybe hue(s) emphasize lure action whether tail, body or both.
*Flash is not a color but does incite the strike regardless of the water clarity and draws attention to the lure's main body whether it be a skirt, soft plastic or other types. In fact Mepps spinners have no color to speak of and flash alone prompts fish aggression.

Simply stated, fish strike for many reasons and in the angler's mind, the fewer the better. Even when it comes to shape and action combined, I can close my eyes, pick up a lure from the box (of carefully selected lures) and be confident it will catch fish most times after first finding fish to begin with. As important is keeping in mind that lures contrast with nature - not simulate it whether in action, shape or color. Fish senses aren't stupid / fish are.

How was the above tested? I fish with an angler that uses few lures while I use many types in many colors. He catches an equal number of fish on any outing from my boat. This is no different for the five waters we fish.
*note about lure size and action
Larger fish seem to strike larger lures when conditions are supportive. For example, I will cast a 5" swimbait or a giant willow leaf blade spinnerbait for bass vs a smaller lure. Both have more extreme actions and vibrations and just maybe annoy the scales off large fish that sense the trespasser.

BTW did I mention that clear plastic - hard or soft - does very well catching fish regardless the depth and water clarity? Anyone ever catch fish on a clear plastic Zara Spook or crankbait? But then again, clear plastic underwater or looking up from below is not colorless.

Last but not least is lure speed and action limited by a speed range limitation. Finesse lures and a dropshot presentation are not ones that do well reeled fast.

Again, just my opinion base on thousands of fish caught -please don't shoot the messenger! - but color choice seems to be the least important vs all the other factors to consider though maybe important at times!