What's the best size jig for deep water bass?

Brassmaster

What's the best size jig for deep water bass?

Post by Brassmaster »

Hi - would love some advice on the best size jig to throw for bass in deep water (30+ feet). I'm used to to throwing jigs in shallow water under 10 feet, and have done well with 3/8 and 1/2 oz flipping jigs. But in your experience, what jig size is best for deep water?
MRoy

Re: What's the best size jig for deep water bass?

Post by MRoy »

The answer depends on several other factors, including what type of jig you want to use, and the strength of your line. I like to use 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz football jigs for deeper water. Here's an article with a nice jig size chart that may be helpful to find the right jig sizes: https://sportfishingbuddy.com/what-size-jig-for-bass/
BAble

Post by BAble »

That deep I use 3/4oz on 15lb trilene xl. In past I used fluoro but have gone back to mono with less problems and just as many fish.
eastbayanglers

Post by eastbayanglers »

I have fished them as small as 1/16 oz and up to 3/4 oz the most important thing is that ea body of water is different some lakes i fish like the smallest stuff when i go to a lake that big deep and holds a large pop of good size craws thats when i up size now in all reality its not what you like that matters its what the fish like!!!! just my 2 cents Fish On! Eastbayanglers
Brassmaster

Post by Brassmaster »

Thanks guys, that's very helpful. And it makes perfect sense that what matters in the end is what the fish want, not what the angler wants :)
WRB

Post by WRB »

In SoCal our lakes are mostly sparse cover steep rocky structure, even when near full pool.Now with most lakes drown down the cover is nearly none existent.
Deep casting jigs like football heads with standard to medium light hooks without weed guards help hooks sets using smaller diameter .012D or less. It’s line diameter that creates drag that becomes a bow in the line. I hate FC line but it does have very low coefficient of water drag with less line bow for better strike detection.
Jig weight isn’t as important as rate of fall that triggers strikes. Sometime bass react to a very slow ROF other time faster ROF. Consider the trailer water resistance, more tails and flapping appendages the slower it falls so jig should be heavier to keep in contact to detect the strike.
I prefer football jigs in the 1/2 oz hair with pork trailers year around to 30’ using 10 -12 FC line,5/0 #114 Grammy hook,#604 would my second choice. Go up to 5/8 - 3/4 oz or 1 oz depending on wind and the bass preference.
The key to success deeper water jigging is strike detection and hook sets. I don’t use the rod to move the jig, only to left it over obstacles shake it, I use the reel with the rod pointed at the jig.
With the rod held down it’s in position to detect strike by feeling line movement with my fingers and minimum line bow.
Hooks sets are reel fast to initially if you feel anything different load the point into the basses mouth and a firm rod sweep to set the hook. Rod length is taken out of the hook setting.
Remember not to fish below the summer thermocline.
Good luck, stay focused.
Tom
* top 5 deep water jig bass; 17.4, 17.4, 17.6, 18.6 & 19.3 lbs., this presentation works!
marinerfandave

Post by marinerfandave »

"very low coefficient of water drag", are you an engineer in So. CA who also loves bass fishing? I'm impressed...
Bruce Theriot

Post by Bruce Theriot »

[quote="Brassmaster"]Hi - would love some advice on the best size jig to throw for bass in deep water (30+ feet). I'm used to to throwing jigs in shallow water under 10 feet, and have done well with 3/8 and 1/2 oz flipping jigs. But in your experience, what jig size is best for deep water?[/quote]

Ask Tom, WRB, if he will send you a copy of his jig article he did for In-Fisherman magazine ( I think). Very informative and gives you a good place to start.
HawgHunter49

Post by HawgHunter49 »

Agree with WRB, Think lighter on presentation and heavier on concentration and technique. Your going to fool more bass most of the time, Especially the Lunkers.

Hook sets are free.
WRB

Post by WRB »

marinerfandave wrote:"very low coefficient of water drag", are you an engineer in So. CA who also loves bass fishing? I'm impressed...
Yep, retired after 50 years as a aerospace engineer.
Today’s bass anglers are impressed by how a state of the art lure looks to them, hair jigs are simple and ugly but bass eat them. Pork rind is so messy and plain that today’s anglers don’t use them, Bass eat them.
Anyone that wants a copy of my In-Fisherman articles PM me.
Tom
PS, Isabella is making a come back.I wrote a IF article “A Rare Chance for a World Record” and Horizontal Jigging (deeper water jig presentation techniques).
BassUnion

Post by BassUnion »

You honestly can’t go wrong with a 1/2oz jig. You can fish it shallow and you can fish it deep 8)