Lipless crankbaits in the fall

Shecomeoff

Lipless crankbaits in the fall

Post by Shecomeoff »

What's up fellow bass anglers? Wanted to talk lipless cranks/traps in the fall for California...

I know we all love them late winter into prespawn when the wateris cooler! But, what are your guys thoughts going into fall when the bass make a move and are chasing bait?

I've been getting on the pattern recently on the delta, but think it might be even better on our lakes here in NorCal... Assuming we have enough water to launch our boats
Whoopbass

Re: Lipless crankbaits in the fall

Post by Whoopbass »

Seems like for me the Motherlode lakes get tougher in the fall. The fish spread out so much and can be found at all depths. I have got onto them in the past in the backs of major creek arms. The fishing can be hot for a few hours and yes you can get em on lipless cranks. Just let the bait sink to the depth the fish are holding and reel it through the school. You can also go back to the same hot spot the next day and the fish have disappeared so it can be frustrating.
Seems like fishing always gets better after we get a storm or two and the water cools.
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

LV 500 is a staple here at Clearlake and Berryessa.They start eating it good in August and can catch them through the winter on them.Just slow down as it cools down. They will eat it at a fast retrieve when its warmer.
Winter fish it like a jig.
Shecomeoff

Post by Shecomeoff »

Whoopbass wrote:Seems like for me the Motherlode lakes get tougher in the fall. The fish spread out so much and can be found at all depths. I have got onto them in the past in the backs of major creek arms. The fishing can be hot for a few hours and yes you can get em on lipless cranks. Just let the bait sink to the depth the fish are holding and reel it through the school. You can also go back to the same hot spot the next day and the fish have disappeared so it can be frustrating.
Seems like fishing always gets better after we get a storm or two and the water cools.
Ya, those Spots especially can be a here today and gone tomorrow kind of deal. Thanks for the input Whoopbass!
Shecomeoff

Post by Shecomeoff »

Dave Brabec wrote:LV 500 is a staple here at Clearlake and Berryessa.They start eating it good in August and can catch them through the winter on them.Just slow down as it cools down. They will eat it at a fast retrieve when its warmer.
Winter fish it like a jig.
Awesome stuff, thanks Dave, tight lines!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I used to whack them on lipless crankbaits from early spring through late fall on the Delta. I can hardly catch a decent sized fish on them the past couple of years. The squarebill has been way more effective for me.
Smokie

Post by Smokie »

i love this fall lipless bite where you get to burn it back with jerkbait style twitches over slow n low on the bottm, when they push up shallow its deadly like that... but as dave said as it gets colder it gets time to yo yo slower n slower n hang on cause it catches the big girls in the cold, i love the trap if your really sitting on em and not using it to search, going rattle less with the yo yo method in the winter has really gotten me double the bites i was getting just soley fishing the lv... but you gotta be ON EM for that to matter, the whole deal is theyre staring at it not chasing it down and its gotta look like a dying shad... I got my P.B. on a lv though and countless other squanches, the lipless does it for sure, but ive found switching it up when your on a cold water school thats not moving much, the no rattle is way more looklin reel if theyre looking at it for a while before chomping my bait... if your ever just getting swipes with the lv try a no noise lipless, give it a steady yo yo a lil faster than the rattle verison since its all in the flash and i hope it works for you guys as well as it has for me 8)