crank bait rod

jetlag

crank bait rod

Post by jetlag »

I seem to lose more fish than I should on my shallow to to mid depth cranking rod. Im using a Dobyns 706cb rod. I have all Robyn's rods and love them but was wondering if I need to go to a glass rod. Whats your favorite cranking rod thanks
mrheuby

Re: crank bait rod

Post by mrheuby »

Over the last five years or so I have made the switch over to longer cranking rods. The results have been not just longer casts but less lost fish. By longer I’m talking 7’3”-7’6” the added leverage and length of rod that loads up is quite a bit different than a 7’rod. So unless you’re looking for in tight casting the longer length definitely helps.As fat as glass or composite I honestly don’t se a huge difference however all the glass rods I have are Dobyns and there great I used to only use reels in the 5:1 gear ratio and have switched over to 6.3:1 to keep up with the fish has helped. One more thing the hooks on your bait don’t forget those premium round bends not EWG. Good luck hope this helps
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

I found a really good crankbait rod in the Dobyns lineup is the Kaden 735CB. It is a great squarebill rod and handles both small and large cranks pretty well. Also it’s in the mid range price point so it’s not too expensive.
stratosman

Post by stratosman »

I have a 706cb and a 705cbmf glass rod. I use the 705 cbmf glass rod with anything from squarebills to xd 6's. Pins them really well. The 706cb i use mainly for lv500's in grass. Never hurts to expand your arsenal!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Look at the dates on this thread. How does it even show up now?
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to look at changing the current rod application. Thanks for the advise
stratosman

Post by stratosman »

Monte300....Get out of the twilight zone...the dates are all from yesterday!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Oops I was looking at the date on the left side of the screen :oops:
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

We have lots of CB rods and you just need to find the one that fits you and the baits you're throwing. For shallow to mid depth CB's my first thought is DC 764CB. It's an awesome rod and one of my favorites. I rarely lose fish on it. I do worry if you're used to that 706 CB the 764 CB might feel like a big drop in power and you might not like it. But I'd bet your fish losses would go down, it's just an awesome loading rod. THX!!
Hogbassing

Post by Hogbassing »

I find if you're loosing fish a lot of times guys have too heavy of drag on.
jetlag

Post by jetlag »

Thanks for all the suggestions