Delta dink-fest, why?

nivanov30

Delta dink-fest, why?

Post by nivanov30 »

Last couple of days on CA Delta is a distinct dink-fest. Catching ~20 fish in 2-3 hours and most of them 1lb or less with a few 2lbs. Met 5-6 boaters on the water and on the dock - same story. Different baits (top water, punching, jerkbaits, drop shot, senko), different places, different tide or time of the day - all the same result.

The question is what drives this distinct "pattern"? Bigger fish didn't move, they are still there but seemingly less active while the smaller fish is actively biting. What's driving it? Why is this so pronounced sometimes like the last week or so? What makes the adult fish to shutdown?
JL

Re: Delta dink-fest, why?

Post by JL »

I'm not sure why, but I have seen this as well on the delta. But usually only during the early fall?
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

Experienced this at Clear Lake caught 150 dinks between the two of us, almost seemed like the dinks would not let the bait do anything and they ate it before a larger fish would even react to it.
Last few times on the delta seeed the same and past times.
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

That’s because you are fishing for bites and not the big fish
Fish for big fish and get 3-5 bites all day
JL

Post by JL »

Lawley wrote:That’s because you are fishing for bites and not the big fish
Fish for big fish and get 3-5 bites all day
Would love to get your INSIGHT on HOW to do that? Please EXPOUND on your statement Lawley!
JoeLanghans

Post by JoeLanghans »

The rats come out in full force in the fall, mostly because of the shad. Lawley is right, you gotta fish the bigger bite, punch and topwater.
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Guys - I don't think many, or nobody at all, are fishing for just bites on the Delta. When I posted the original post I've mentioned that I've talked to guys fishing exclusively top-water and punching (including myself as far as punching) - and still coming up with dinks...

I think it's more than just the selection of baits and presentations... And I don't quite sure what it is. Just look at the current tournament this week on the Delta: only two bags are over 20lbs, and majority ~12lbs. AM anglers can't even put 10lbs bag together.

So the question still remains: what makes the bigger fish (3lb+) shutdown?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Location, location, location.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
JL

Post by JL »

nivanov30 wrote:Guys - I don't think many, or nobody at all, are fishing for just bites on the Delta. When I posted the original post I've mentioned that I've talked to guys fishing exclusively top-water and punching (including myself as far as punching) - and still coming up with dinks...

I think it's more than just the selection of baits and presentations... And I don't quite sure what it is. Just look at the current tournament this week on the Delta: only two bags are over 20lbs, and majority ~12lbs. AM anglers can't even put 10lbs bag together.

So the question still remains: what makes the bigger fish (3lb+) shutdown?
I myself want a better explanation. Wish Cooch was still with us!
Imodify Dave

Post by Imodify Dave »

Having the luck of living a few doors down from Cooch for several years and getting to fish with him a few times, don’t be afraid to find deeper water and docks to 15 ft! Fall thru winter to weed out dinks! Good luck!
Lawley

Post by Lawley »

I don’t have all the answers
What I mean by “we are fishing for bites”
Is we go out with 7 or 8 rods all with different baits and presentations
We keep switching baits and running all over the river looking for a fish
We should really figure out what the big fish are doing instead of searching for bites
No one wants to get no bites for hours on end so we use what gets a bite thinking a big fish will eventually turn up
When you figure out what that one 7 pounder is doing right now you can bet all the others are doing the same

Isn’t that true with the smaller fish. They are all up shallow eating

The opportunity window time is short to get that big one to go
Big fish don’t usually mix with the small ones
When they do they are eating them and or running them out
It’s really tough unless you are fishing 5 days a week to figure it out
Punching. Top water. Location. Time. Tide
Light
eastbayanglers

Post by eastbayanglers »

Well on a sunny day i been on em shallow and in the overcast and rain i fish deeper on the bottom its one of those times of yr where i went out got on a 5 day bite with spinnerbaits its was crazy next 3 times out nada had to change it up if they will not take reaction than work it slow or deadstick. On a side note i have been working my cranks erratic fast slow stop go jerk pause ect Also all that rain means lots of food went in the delta possible the bigger fish are full or located in a different area where the food is stacked, and they need not do much.
Herboski13

Post by Herboski13 »

I always assumed that it was because the fish born during this years spawn have gotten to a large enough size to start eating baits and aren't smart enough to figure out what not to eat. I mean I catch rats year round, it's kind of my thing, but the fall does seem like a greater number. My thinking is that this is probably the point in the year where there are more small fish than any other time. By the spring next year a lot more of them will have died/or are a year old and probably closer to not being a true rat given the growth rate they have in this warmer climate. I'm no biologist or even a great fisherman but it always just kind of made sense to me.
nivanov30

Post by nivanov30 »

Well, based on off- and on-line chats I've had here's my own answer to my own question.

1. Fish deeper. It's pretty much given that majority of 3lb+ fish live "off-shore" on the delta, meaning usually 6-12ft only venturing to shallows for a short period of time (except, of course, during the spawn). More so during the fall and winter. During the late fall and winter - the absolute majority of the fish will be located in that 6-12ft zone.
2. Location. Fishing deeper is much harder if you are not intimately familiar with the underwater structure, etc. You also need to simply know that larger fish is present at or around the location you are fishing. Fishing on the low tide is a great tool to see what's underneath the boat.
3. Structure. Fall/winter bass needs structure. As underwater grass is dying - the bass will be forced to use whatever remaining structure making it simpler to eliminate water... (remember: fish on the low tide to see what's under the boat).
4. Larger baits. Fishing baits that "discourage" smaller fish, i.e. large worms, jigs, larger swimbaits, etc. Cooch is famously known for throwing 7in senko... away from the bank. At first - it is very counterintuitive.
5. Slow down. It's a Florida strain bass that we are fishing for and it is very susceptible to even a small temp change.

I guess that's the wrap for me. A lot easier to write it up then to do though... :-)
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Channeling my inner Cooch - this is that time of year where that Jig comes into play. Get off the bank and start on that outside grassline fishing the ledges. Those bigger fish move along those ledges and got big for a reason, I really like the Tulle islands and Rip Rap points for targeting them. Hop and pop that thing down a ledge, find the deeper grass that is still dying off on the tulle points and rip a chatterbait or swimbait through them. This is where I would pull out to once ya realize its a rat fest on the bank.

Oh yeah and if all else fails chase Line Sides for fish tacos :D
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/