Deep cranking with a Dobyns Swimbait rod?

ryanerb

Deep cranking with a Dobyns Swimbait rod?

Post by ryanerb »

Hi guys, I'm looking for a deep cranking rod to throw mostly things like a DD22 and 6XD.

I don't want to spend a ton, so definitely on a budget.

I was looking at the Dobyns Fred "Boom Boom" Roumbanis 803SB. It's rated as Moderate Fast for lures 3/8-2oz but made as a swimbait rod...

I'm wondering if it will be moderate enough for the treble hook baits like 6XD.

The rod seems to be designed first and foremost for swimbaits, so that is my concern.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dobyns_ ... -BBCR.html (on sale at Dobyns $100 off)

Anyone have this rod by any chance?

Thank you!
Beginner Bass guy, recreational
LookoutRanch

Re: Deep cranking with a Dobyns Swimbait rod?

Post by LookoutRanch »

Although this might be better served in the general fishing section I would likely use the 795 when throwing big plugs like 10XD, DD90 and C25’s, but feel like even the 795 might be to much for 6XD. It does have a tip that is lighter to keep fish pinned with treble hooks. It’s deep in my line up for deep cranking rods that I have and have caught fish with the 795. I know the Boom Boom rods are on clearance and your getting an XP rod cheaper than a Kaden so it might be worth giving it a try.

Best advice I can give you is call the shop. Gary or a few of the guys there will be able to zero you in on your price point and rod expectations.
Last edited by LookoutRanch on Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Ranger Z520C
ETec 250 HO

Let’s Go Brandon
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

WHOOPS... Posted this in classifieds. My bad.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to call out there.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Fred rods are on sale at Dobyns now for $169 and free shipping. Super good deal.
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

185vsfrog wrote:Fred rods are on sale at Dobyns now for $169 and free shipping. Super good deal.
Well yes, exactly the point of my post.
If it will work for my application, I would buy one.
I'm afraid the 803sb will be too stiff for 6xd.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

Ideal recommendation for a 6xd rod would be a 765cb Champion or an 805cb Champion series. Too bad Dobyns doesn’t make those in the Fury
or Kaden series. Gonna be outta your budget price range though. Other option is a fury 795sb Swimbait rod or the Fred 803 rod you were talking about. The Fred rod is rated for 10xd and is definitely stiffer than you need for a 6xd but would work in a bind. Tackle warehouse is offering 20% off for Black Friday if you get the mailer. That would help lessen the sting of getting the appropriate rod maybe.
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

Thanks for all the help guys. I called dobyns direct and there doesn’t seem to be a good 6xd rod for a budget angler. The swimbait rods they said are too stiff. Champion or bust I guess. Likely going to go with another brand regretfully. Hopefully they make somethin in the fury line down the road.
Isaac O

Post by Isaac O »

Funny how someone who doesn't know left from right wants the most accurate rod out there.

I'm picking up a couple of the Roumbanis rods myself.
ryanerb

Post by ryanerb »

Isaac O wrote:Funny how someone who doesn't know left from right wants the most accurate rod out there.

I'm picking up a couple of the Roumbanis rods myself.
I just like to do the research and make sure I’m buying the best rod I can afford. I already got a ton of rods and i fish once a month. I’m not a tourney angler.

Those should be great rods! Enjoy!!