519 or 520? And why?

johnabsmith

519 or 520? And why?

Post by johnabsmith »

In the market for a new rig. Ranger (but may consider phoenix or cat). The question is 519 or 520? I’ve read the threads saying the ride in rough water is the big difference but I’m 80% on the delta and the other 20% berry and maybe a trip or 2 to clear lake. If it’s windy on the river I’m not running across franks or any big water. I don’t tournament fish regularly but will jump in a team tournament here and there. Cousin has a 520 and I feel that’s huge compared to by 18’9 ranger. Never been in a 519. Don’t feel I need that much storage or to get it up to mid 70’s scooting around.

My question is I don’t see many 519’s for sale so I’m wondering if guys are holding on to them because they love em so much. I flip/punch mostly and fish docks occasionally. Let’s hear your 2 cents.
clum553946

Re: 519 or 520? And why?

Post by clum553946 »

I think you buy the longest boat that you’re capable of. It comes in handy the few times you wind up in big water,the platform is more stable, you will end up using the storage & the ride is a bit better. Having started with a Ranger 185 vs a long time ago & working up to a Phoenix 21 Pro Xp,every time I went up in size, I was always pleasantly surprised each time I upgraded! Of course, this is just my opinion!
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

Ive been in 520s and owned a 06 519
520 rides better .
Part of the reason i got rid of the 519 was it gave me whiplash in rough water
I switched brands and couldnt be happier with the ride
BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER

Post by BIG DADDY BLUE RANGER »

yeah, I'm right there with you on this decision...... 520 almost seems too bulky but the 519 isn't great in rough water... Tough call.

Looking at the other brands you mentioned... I really like that they offer 20 footers that aren't wide bodies... seems like a good compromise between shallow fishability and rough water ride... some of the shallow water Phoenix pro's choose the more "value" priced 721 over the wider 920/921 because of how it handles and how maneuverable it is with the TM down.... Greg Hackney comes to mind. Some of the shallow Cat guys (John Crews) go with the Eyra over the Lynx for the same reason.
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

I was in an 18' Ranger. I ordered a Phoenix 919 which should be here in about 2 weeks. Longer will make it a more comfortable ride. Basscat's prices went through the atmosphere, and priced me wayyyy out. Unless you make a bunch of money, they became the rich man boat. I've heard nothing but good things about the Phoenix 920's, and have seen several ranger guys jumping ship to them.
johnabsmith

Post by johnabsmith »

Dave Brabec wrote:Ive been in 520s and owned a 06 519
520 rides better .
I was looking 2016 or newer. Are the hulls from the 06 519 the same as the current one? I know the 520’s changed a bit. Half of the guys like the old model and half like the new hull style. Did you feel the 519 was comfortable fishing 2 people on the front deck? Could I run it with a passenger console and have the same comfort? I want the newer version with the console cutout so I can throw multiple 8’ sticks on the deck and not worry about stepping on em.
johnabsmith

Post by johnabsmith »

Water_Dog wrote:I was in an 18' Ranger. I ordered a Phoenix 919 which should be here in about 2 weeks. Longer will make it a more comfortable ride. Basscat's prices went through the atmosphere, and priced me wayyyy out. Unless you make a bunch of money, they became the rich man boat. I've heard nothing but good things about the Phoenix 920's, and have seen several ranger guys jumping ship to them.
What was your reasoning for switching from ranger to phoenix? I don’t know too much about them but have heard great things. I know the 919 and the 519 have the same exact lengths and the beams are within an inch. I’m interested in the difference in handling and wave cutting abilities.
cww300

Post by cww300 »

johnabsmith wrote:In the market for a new rig. Ranger (but may consider phoenix or cat). The question is 519 or 520? I’ve read the threads saying the ride in rough water is the big difference but I’m 80% on the delta and the other 20% berry and maybe a trip or 2 to clear lake. If it’s windy on the river I’m not running across franks or any big water. I don’t tournament fish regularly but will jump in a team tournament here and there. Cousin has a 520 and I feel that’s huge compared to by 18’9 ranger. Never been in a 519. Don’t feel I need that much storage or to get it up to mid 70’s scooting around.

My question is I don’t see many 519’s for sale so I’m wondering if guys are holding on to them because they love em so much. I flip/punch mostly and fish docks occasionally. Let’s hear your 2 cents.
Get a Bass Cat Caracal. They handle rough water better than a lot of 20' footers and run close to the same speed. I came out of a 520 and bought a Caracal. In my experience the caracal runs rough water/big water just as good, but fishes better in swallow water compared to the 520. I fish all the pro am's with mine and do not feel like it limits me in any way compared to the 20' footers. Only issue with the caracal is that people hang on to them and they are hard to find used. I went all the way to Texas to get mine.
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

johnabsmith wrote:
Water_Dog wrote:I was in an 18' Ranger. I ordered a Phoenix 919 which should be here in about 2 weeks. Longer will make it a more comfortable ride. Basscat's prices went through the atmosphere, and priced me wayyyy out. Unless you make a bunch of money, they became the rich man boat. I've heard nothing but good things about the Phoenix 920's, and have seen several ranger guys jumping ship to them.
What was your reasoning for switching from ranger to phoenix? I don’t know too much about them but have heard great things. I know the 919 and the 519 have the same exact lengths and the beams are within an inch. I’m interested in the difference in handling and wave cutting abilities.
Far better customer service, and ride. The Phoenix's are better built IMO. Ranger's customer service has slipped recently. I liked the deck layout, and the phoenix boats cut the rough water great. Ultimately boats come down to personal preference. Cats are awesome too, but the $19k price jump from the 2021-2022 models was hard to stomach.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

johnabsmith wrote: Get a Bass Cat Caracal. They handle rough water better than a lot of 20' footers and run close to the same speed. I came out of a 520 and bought a Caracal. In my experience the caracal runs rough water/big water just as good, but fishes better in swallow water compared to the 520. I fish all the pro am's with mine and do not feel like it limits me in any way compared to the 20' footers. Only issue with the caracal is that people hang on to them and they are hard to find used. I went all the way to Texas to get mine.
That Caracal is an awesome boat, wide beam with a great ride, plenty fast and gets around the docks easily. I had a 19' Basscat Classic and it was a great fishing deck and perfect lil go cart around the sloughs in the Delta on the windy days and bad weather at Berry, Clearlake and Delta it would have been nice to have a 20' but I would get another 19' in a heart beat. As stated BassCat makes a few excellent hulls in this size range and I've heard lots of good things about the Phoenix
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
kb

Post by kb »

You might check out the 2022 Ranger Z519 Cup package boat that starts at $59,995.00 with two Lowrance Live 9's, Live Active Target and Ghost Trolling Motor 36Volt and a Mercury 225 Four Stroke.

If you are looking for used start by getting in touch with your local Ranger dealers as well and they can keep an eye out for a trade in or check their webpages often they are all moving alot of boats and have numerous trade in boats available.

Ranger Cup is the most lucrative contingency programs in the West with prizes available in every major tournament circuit in the west and you don't have to be the original owner and it's free each year.

If I can answer any questions on Ranger please reach out to me

Kent Brown
CA Regional Sales Manager
White River Marine Group
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I've always really liked my Earl Bentz built 2000 Triton TR19. I think the nearest Caymas dealer is in Washington state, but I could be wrong. Check this out. The only negative is it appears to be priced right up there with Basscat.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1056850
Dave Brabec

Post by Dave Brabec »

johnabsmith wrote:
Dave Brabec wrote:Ive been in 520s and owned a 06 519
520 rides better .
I was looking 2016 or newer. Are the hulls from the 06 519 the same as the current one? I know the 520’s changed a bit. Half of the guys like the old model and half like the new hull style. Did you feel the 519 was comfortable fishing 2 people on the front deck? Could I run it with a passenger console and have the same comfort? I want the newer version with the console cutout so I can throw multiple 8’ sticks on the deck and not worry about stepping on em.
Couldnt tell you if new ones are the same hull.The 519 has a big wide front deck .
lobinero

Post by lobinero »

I have owned a 2006 Z19 and now I have a 09 Z520. The reason I move up was bc I hated the 19 ride. Coming from a 18.6 Champion, the ride of the 19 was too low. It seems I was going to spear wave after wave. The Z520 is an awesome fishing platform. It beats the champs and the 19. It also rides higher to my pleasure, but not like the champs. They really cut the waves better bc of their deep v design. Never been in a Phoenix or Bass Cat. I have fish the 19 and the z520 in the delta and you can get around better in smaller boats. Keep this in mind. you spend more time fishing rather than running. a comfortable fishing boat that can hold all your 8" flipping sticks and can get you were you want is more imp. than a water rocket. rough water ride is imp. too but if it's bad out there, you probably won't go out. And if you get into it (clear lake) bow up and slow down. List your priorities and do your homework. enjoy the search. It's an awesome time when you bring your new boat home.
DaLa

Post by DaLa »

My vote Caracal.

I have one and love it. I have ridden in plenty of 20'ers and say the Caracal rides as good or better. Plus it is easier to move around in tight spaces. best of both worlds.

Lots of guys running them on the Delta, I'm in So Cal so can't give a ride, but I bet you could get a test ride in one if you talk to boatmasters.

D
monte300

Post by monte300 »

DaLa wrote:My vote Caracal.

I have one and love it. I have ridden in plenty of 20'ers and say the Caracal rides as good or better. Plus it is easier to move around in tight spaces. best of both worlds.

Lots of guys running them on the Delta, I'm in So Cal so can't give a ride, but I bet you could get a test ride in one if you talk to boatmasters.

D
My understanding is that the Caracal is a deep hull boat. What's it like stepping up to the front deck after running? I'm an older gentleman and I find myself losing my balance and falling down in my boat more often than I care to admit.
Water_Dog

Post by Water_Dog »

D
That was my vote too until I got the $89k price quote for the 2022's. :lol:
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

monte300 wrote:

D
My understanding is that the Caracal is a deep hull boat. What's it like stepping up to the front deck after running? I'm an older gentleman and I find myself losing my balance and falling down in my boat more often than I care to admit.
Ive only leaned on a Caracal but I run a BassCat Eyra and it’s possibly the deepest cockpit of any. They have a large step to transfer up and down to/from the deck and it can be done with ease.
zmyers

Post by 96363 »

I have a 2017 Ranger 519. I fish club tournaments and for fun. The boat does ride a little rougher than a 520, but the fishing platform is very stable and there is plenty of storage. A 36v ultrex moves the boat well. For one or two people the 519 handles well and fishes great in my opinion.
Good luck enjoy
erickennsdy73

Post by erickennsdy73 »

I have a 2019 Z519. It's a great boat for me, fishing a lot on the delta with occasional trips to berryessa and clear lake like you mentioned. Yes the ride on a 520 is going to be better but the 519 is also more nimble and fits better in the garage. 519s are also cheaper which leaves room for graphs and accessories, especially if you're buying new.
The fishing platform on the 519 is really nice, plenty of space, sits flat, and drafts well in wind/current. It's not the best riding boat I've ever been in, but that doesn't mean it's bad by any means. I've been in some big waves running back to franks from big break with the wind and current going opposite from each other, and it handled it fine, but at some points I did wish I had a longer boat. With all of that said, after I've had mine for a while I drove a friend's 2019 Phoenix 919, and I was pretty impressed with how it rides, but I do like some things about the ranger better. It's a about what you like and value the most in a boat. If you got any questions specifically on the Z519 let me know. I can send pics as well if you're curious about anything
sharkbass12

Post by sharkbass12 »

I asked this same question a couple months ago because I was shopping for a newer boat for pro am's. I tried a bunch of different boats and ended up buying a Bass Cat Caracal on Facebook. The Caracal is competitive with the 20' footers in the ride category and ran better than some of the 20' footers I tried. I have had it in some bad weather recently and it did great in rough water. Pretty much just love everything about the boat. Can't wait to fish Wild West with it.