Pontoon boat in the Delta?

Actionmclain

Pontoon boat in the Delta?

Post by Actionmclain »

Seeking some wisdom. I bass fish a-lot in the Delta and Ca lakes. My wife and I have been bass fishing for years out of bass boats with our two kids. I am just wondering now with the kids being bigger if I could get a pontoon boat with a ultrex to do the job and keep everyone comfortable. Let me know your thoughts.
ash
SpeedBump

Re: Pontoon boat in the Delta?

Post by ash »

i dont think it's feasible to fish on a pontoon boat without anchoring at either of these fisheries. With the wind and the tide that boat will be like a big sail being pushed around. I'm not saying you couldn't do it in certain spots at certain times, but mainly tucked in a cove on an anchor.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Actionmclain

Post by Actionmclain »

ash wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:25 pm i dont think it's feasible to fish on a pontoon boat without anchoring at either of these fisheries. With the wind and the tide that boat will be like a big sail being pushed around. I'm not saying you couldn't do it in certain spots at certain times, but mainly tucked in a cove on an anchor.
I was kind of afraid of that. I thought maybe a 24 volt ultrex with spot lock and some talons might help. I dont want to fight wind all day.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

It might help, but i dont see it brother sometimes it's hard enough with a bassboat that sits under the levy walls with an outgo tide and wind I think you'll find yourself spinning circles. My buddy had a centerconsole he outfitted with a TM and stabilizers in the back and it was doable but challenging for him. He ended up selling it entirely after two years.

Perhaps a fish and ski would be suited for you and the family?
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
monte300

Post by monte300 »

I would say a minimum of 36 volts and even that will probably leave you frustrated in Delta winds. Is there a scenario where you drag your bass boat behind a pontoon boat and do your fishing from the bass boat?
Actionmclain

Post by Actionmclain »

ash wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:44 pm It might help, but i dont see it brother sometimes it's hard enough with a bassboat that sits under the levy walls with an outgo tide and wind I think you'll find yourself spinning circles. My buddy had a centerconsole he outfitted with a TM and stabilizers in the back and it was doable but challenging for him. He ended up selling it entirely after two years.

Perhaps a fish and ski would be suited for you and the family?
We had a Reata for a couple years. It was nice. Sometimes the wind would push it around. I guess I need to convonce the wife we need two boats...lol
Actionmclain

Post by Actionmclain »

monte300 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:11 pm I would say a minimum of 36 volts and even that will probably leave you frustrated in Delta winds. Is there a scenario where you drag your bass boat behind a pontoon boat and do your fishing from the bass boat?
I guess I could just keep the bass boat. The wimd pushes it around a bit too.
rjt18b

Post by rjt18b »

There were a couple of guys that did the pontoon boat thing fishing the Future Pro tour a couple of years ago. In the wind, from a distance, they seemed to be in less control than a bass boat on the lakes... I can't imagine how tough it would be on the delta!!
monte300

Post by monte300 »

Boats are like pickup trucks, once you have one you never want to be without
fishndp

Post by fishndp »

Had a 20’ lowe pontoon and used it on Don Pedro and McClure to bass fish
Put a 24v power drive minnkota on it.
It worked, when the wind kicked up I would head for a nice big cove that I could use the tm to putt around in. Rarely put the Bimini up …
Tm batteries would get a work out for sure
Can’t speak as to how it would do on the delta since I’ve not fished it, but lake fishing it worked for me
ILW

Post by ILW »

Have you thought about doing a pontoon rental and giving it a try for a day? Maybe it would be a good experiment. I m sure Ive seen pontoon rentals on the Delta. Tower Park comes to mind but it could have somewhere else.
milehi

Post by milehi »

A couple of guys did it pretty well on my little lake that gets lots of wind & horrible boat trafic. Trick was a tm front & back
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Have you considered a deck boat? Something like the one made by Tahoe: https://www.tahoeboats.com/deck.html. It would be a happy medium between a bass boat and a pontoon boat and way more comfortable than a fish and ski. I have an older model (2008) which sits higher than the newer models and while it does get pushed around a bit more than a bass boat it is very fishable. A bonus is that it's awesome for waterskiing and tubing.
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I used a drift sock off the back and a remote controlled power driven T.M. Upfront. I could drive from anywhere in the boat. I always wished I had a motor on the back but it was doable... :D
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
Actionmclain

Post by Actionmclain »

Jeff C. wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:14 am Have you considered a deck boat? Something like the one made by Tahoe: https://www.tahoeboats.com/deck.html. It would be a happy medium between a bass boat and a pontoon boat and way more comfortable than a fish and ski. I have an older model (2008) which sits higher than the newer models and while it does get pushed around a bit more than a bass boat it is very fishable. A bonus is that it's awesome for waterskiing and tubing.
I have thought about a deck boat. looks like it might actually work well.I wonder if this one has a live well.
Actionmclain

Post by Actionmclain »

ILW wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:06 pm Have you thought about doing a pontoon rental and giving it a try for a day? Maybe it would be a good experiment. I m sure Ive seen pontoon rentals on the Delta. Tower Park comes to mind but it could have somewhere else.
I have thought about it. I wasnt sure if they hade trolling motors on them.