Dominic Doan Dominates on San Vincente – 4/23 & 4/24/22

MKA

Dominic Doan Dominates on San Vincente – 4/23 & 4/24/22

Post by MKA »

Doan ABA.jpeg
https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/

Dominic Doan of Los Angeles, CA captures the win on San Vincente Reservoir and his third consecutive top ten finish in the American Bass Anglers (ABA) Ironman Kayak Series (also leading the AOY race) against some of the top western kayak anglers. In addition, he secured the Kayak Bass Fishing (KBF) Pro Series Division title, 2nd. place in the KBF Trail Series I on 4/23 and 3rd. place in the KBF Trail Series II on 4/24.

“Practice started out great throwing the jerkbait on mainlake points and coves. I tried not to land fish in any particular spot, but I literally caught jerkbait fish all over the north / east side of the lake. I knew the bite was wide open on the jerkbait but the fish were only an average of 15 inches. I then picked up the dropshot and moved out to 30 feet. I found a ditch with brush piles and picked up an 18 incher on the dropshot and I knew the better fish were going to be caught on finesse baits. On day 2 of practice, I went to another area and found fish in a ditch between 2 sloping points. I was locating fish on the Live Scope and was targeting them with the shaky head. I had 2 spots about ¼ mile from each other and I ended my practice early knowing I had what I needed.

On day 1 of the tournament, I caught my limit within 30 minutes. I then went to the mainlake point and caught suspended fish in 5 to 10 over 30 feet. I was using a dropshot and a 2.8 Keitech swimbait on a 1/8 oz. ballhead, they would eat it on the drop.

On day 2, the dropshot bite died out and I had to abandon that and focus on catching bass in 30 feet using the 2.8 Keitech. All of my fish came off the 2 spots that I found in practice. I lost a lot of fish, I fell in the water, inflated my PFD and had to fish like that the rest of the day. I stuck with it and found my limit. When the results were turned off Tim and I were tied up with Tim leading due to big fish. With 40 minutes left to go I found a 16.5 incher and was able to cull out a 16.25 incher and to pull off the win by 0.25 inches.

It takes a positive mindset and believing in myself first. I always envision the win no matter what. If you don’t see yourself winning, then why even do it. I really appreciate my supporters, I’ve taken the leap of faith and I’m all in”, said Doan.

Next up for Dominic is the ABA Ironman Kayak Series, KBF Pro Trail Series and KBF Trail Series events on Lower Otay Reservoir on 6/25 and 6/26/22.
Attachments
Doan KBF.jpeg