Mercury and lithium starting batteries

Javelinman

Mercury and lithium starting batteries

Post by Javelinman »

Does anyone know what the issues are with Mercury saying no to lithium batteries. I’ve read the service bulletin and it seem intentionally vague. Says won’t void warranty but also that they may not pay if they feel the battery caused issue. I currently running a Lithiumpro for about a year without issue. Lithiumpro says Mercury put that out because of all the cheap batteries hitting the market. They assured me their batteries won’t hurt the engine. I’m just a little concerned as I’m getting a new boat with a merc and don’t want warranty headaches. I’ve read it’s because of battery shut down to alternator burn up are reasons but can’t find a single case of either happening. Thanks. Merc also says lithiums must have BMS so are they really saying no lithium. Confused.
JL

Re: Mercury and lithium starting batteries

Post by JL »

If it was me, I would stick with a AGM until Mercury puts out a statement otherwise. A new Merc motor is EXPENSIVE!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Javelinman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:57 pm Does anyone know what the issues are with Mercury saying no to lithium batteries. I’ve read the service bulletin and it seem intentionally vague. Says won’t void warranty but also that they may not pay if they feel the battery caused issue. I currently running a Lithiumpro for about a year without issue. Lithiumpro says Mercury put that out because of all the cheap batteries hitting the market. They assured me their batteries won’t hurt the engine. I’m just a little concerned as I’m getting a new boat with a merc and don’t want warranty headaches. I’ve read it’s because of battery shut down to alternator burn up are reasons but can’t find a single case of either happening. Thanks. Merc also says lithiums must have BMS so are they really saying no lithium. Confused.
Call Anglers Marine in Anaheim and ask the owner, Rick Grover. He knows all things Mercury. (714) 666-2628
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Pat

Post by Pat »

I have seen this discussion/argument in numerous places on the web. The lithium battery people say their cranking batteries are no problem for Mercury motors. The Merc mechanics point to the service bulletins. I am trusting the people who would fix my motor, under warranty, if the electrical or charging systems fail.
birdman920

Post by birdman920 »

The only thing I was told by Merc dealer is lithiums require low amp charging and Merc V8 alternator is high amp output ? I run a Northstar 31 agm for cranking and Lithium Pros for troll motor….
scott39

Post by scott39 »

I ran a Lithium with my 06 Pro XS for 2 years with no issues. I now have a brand new 4 stroke and us a Lithium. I guess a good question would be if something does happen how would Merc prove I'm using a lithium other than this post. :D
Dobyns Rods
Javelinman

Post by Javelinman »

I thought of that. Have a failure and buy a wet cell before you take it in except I read the service bulletin and they can view freeze frame at time of failure. Lithium pros has been making starter batteries before fisherman caught on to it. They were making racing batteries. They assure me there will be no issues. I’ve had zero issues on my 2017 150 pro xs opti but it’s warranty is long gone. Just don’t know what to do.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Javelinman wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:13 pm I thought of that. Have a failure and buy a wet cell before you take it in except I read the service bulletin and they can view freeze frame at time of failure. Lithium pros has been making starter batteries before fisherman caught on to it. They were making racing batteries. They assure me there will be no issues. I’ve had zero issues on my 2017 150 pro xs opti but it’s warranty is long gone. Just don’t know what to do.
Javelinman,
Rick Grover is the largest Ranger and Mercury dealer on the west coast. He will have a real answer for you.
Just give him a call and ask him, or his head of service, who used to be Jordan Wisch.

"Call Anglers Marine in Anaheim and ask the owner, Rick Grover. He knows all things Mercury. (714) 666-2628"
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
C & C Marine

Post by C & C Marine »

Hi all,
Here is what it says for the warranty.
Warranty:
The use of Lithium Ion Batteries will not void the engine warranty, however, claims for failures on the engine components caused by Lithium Ion batteries may be denied. Refer any battery related issues to the installer.

I hope this helps.
Richard
C & C Marine
http://www.teamccmarine.com

C & C Marine - Modesto
747 South 9th st
Modesto, CA 95351
209-526-4120

C & C Marine - Newcastle
9390 Old State Highway
Newcastle, CA 95658
916-729-0590
Javelinman

Post by Javelinman »

Thanks. I’ll play it safe till Mercury updates.