Folsom help

El Jefe

Folsom help

Post by El Jefe »

My son has a junior tournament coming up at Folsom lake. I've never fished there and won't have time to pre fish. I'm NOT looking for spots or waypoints just an overall of the lake.... I think it's mostly spotted bass? Any obstacles or underwater. boating dangers.... any weird rules specific to this lake like clockwise traffic or anything else? Feel free to PM me so we don't ruin anyone's secret spots or techniques....lol. Thank you.
kb

Re: Folsom help

Post by kb »

No weird rules about direction of travel etc. The lake is about 1/2 full right now and it raised alot and then dropped luckily that left most of the debris and wood on the bank but there is still some out there. You will see alot of hazard buoys and make sure you know that many of them are on granite rocks so it may seem deep enough but they come up quick...... also those rocks and points and islands are holding some fish right now.

Concentrate on the top 25 feet out there right now. Reaction baits, A-rigs, jerkbaits all good and it is a really good plastics lake Ocho or Senko, robo or ned rig all catch fish out there. Green Pumpkin is a favorite and any of the aarons magic, oxblood or peoples worm.

Lake has all three species the majority will likely be spots but will see some largemouth and maybe a big one or two. Rivers are running way too cold right now half way up is as far as I would venture and would concentrate on the main lake. lots of bait in the lake it is both pond smelt and shad minnows.

Hope this helps......

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Thank you sir.
Dek

Post by Dek »

Be careful if you don't have a map chip with the water level offset. Many of the marker buoys were blown well off their placements back in the big winds. I've noticed the barge has finally begun to pick some of them up and presumably place them near where they are supposed to be but I would be careful. Mostly spots with LM and some smallies. Been chasing ducks so I don't have any info on the fishing although KB has some great advice.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

Yes.... I have lakemaster maps on my hummingbirds so we're good there. If it was a tournament for me I wouldn't even bother with it.... showing up to a lake I've never been to, launching in the dark and trying to catch a limit lol. Hard to say no to the kids though.... we'll just take it easy until the sun comes up and see what we can catch. Thank you guys for the help.