Ron Lewis wins Yak-A-Bass at Lake McClure

basstrophy

Ron Lewis wins Yak-A-Bass at Lake McClure

Post by basstrophy »

Ron fishing (1).jpg
https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/

Lake McClure water level was the highest it has been in many years due to the massive amount of water from the snow melt. With the constant change of water level, the fish were suspended and shallow along the shoreline. The weather was perfect for the fishermen with the air temperature reaching mid 80’s and the water temperature hovering around 72 degrees. Once the lines were out and all the fish were submitted to TourneyX, Ron Lewis won with 85.25” dominating second place by 4.75”. Lewis practiced on the south end of the lake on Friday and found some good rock walls with plenty of fish. He tried some topwater and A-rig in the morning of the tournament with no luck, then he used his jig to catch a limit within the first hour and a half. Lewis was fishing a Keitech brown and purple 3/8-ounce jig paired with a rage craw in green pumpkin in 5- to 10- feet of water just off the bank.

“I would cast the jig in about 5 feet of water and work it out to about 20 feet.” Lewis said.

Lewis continued moving around working the rock walls and points upgrading fish all day. The last 15 minutes of the day, he culled a fish with a 16.50”.

“Between 2 and 3 PM it was nerve racking waiting for all the anglers to submit their fish because this was my first win, it was a long time coming.”

Lewis thanked his buddy Danny Miller with Redonesystems.com and Kisler rods for all their support.

David Oien finished in second place with 80.50”. Oien’s alarm didn’t want to work the morning of the tournament, so he was a little late getting on the water. Oien worked a topwater bait with a few fish coming up but not committing. After a short run across the lake in the southern section, Oien found the key by throwing a small swimbait, a 2.8” Keitech. He caught around 15 fish on his swimbait but also caught a few key fish on the big TRD in green pumpkin.

“The secondary points leading back into the creek arm was where I caught most of my fish.”

Oien found that the rock was also a key to his success, plus his dog, Trinty. It was Trinty’s first tournament that they fished together. Oien thanked his family and friends for all their support.

Daigo Kobayashi finished in third place with 80.25”. Kobayashi came in blind to this tournament and decided to fish in the south area of the lake. He used a jig to catch 4 fish in the first hour in 5- to 10- feet of water.

“I threw a jig throughout the whole day working ledges, flats and points, anything that looked good.”

When the wind picked-up around 10 to 11 AM, Kobayashi started to use an underspin. He found a pocket that was loaded with both largemouth and spotted bass suspended in 7- to 15-feet of water. Kobayashi caught a 17.50” with a crankbait with just 30 minutes left of the fishing day which secured his third-place finish. Kobayashi thanked his friends and family, James Snyder for putting on a great tournament, also, his sponsors Motorguide, Bonafide Fishing, PLine, First Gen fishing, Woo! Tungsten, Fat Bass Apparel, Baitsanity, The Rod Glove and Coyote Bait & Tackle.

Top Ten:
1. Ron Lewis 85.25”
2. David Oien 80.50”
3. Daigo Kobayashi 80.25”
4. Brandon Miller 80.00”
5.Scott Savko 78.25”
6. Shaun Leytem 78.00”
7. York Sell 77.25”
8. Kolton Kruzic 76.00”
9. Pua Yang 76.00”
10. Joseph Tax 76.00”

Big Fish: