Steering in Reverse

Morgan

Steering in Reverse

Post by Morgan »

I have trouble backing up my boat. It seems to not turn going backwards. I turn the steering wheel and it continue going the same direction. Turning seems to make no difference. I have to stop and then start over or put it in neutral and accelerate to overcome.

I read here recently that Skeeters have that problem also. (too bad since I was lookin at one of these to buy, but didn't want the same problems) That manuvering around docks and other boats is difficult. Are there some boats that turn in reverse better? Is there something I can do to make it turn when I want?

Morgan
Hipster

Re: Steering in Reverse

Post by Hipster »

Morgan,

I have driven many brands of boats, and now owned many different boats and going backwards is not shall I say not what a bass boat is built to do. Trim the motor way up high and you will have better results especially around docks and 5mph situations.
Accelerate faster than you think you need to as the repsponse in reverse is completely different than forward motion. Note that boats with a higher deep vee seem to veer off course more in reverse than say a boat with the lower profile. Always trim up!!! it helps.
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

Morgan,
I run a Skeeter, as Mark said , trim it up and you can back up with alot more control...
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Colebass

Great advice!

Post by Colebass »

Now this is fishing realted! Not some fruit juice for $100 a gallon! :lol: :lol:
Dave Cole
Ken C.

Post by Ken C. »

As was mentioned trimming up will definitely help. Also you have to "gas-it" to get the ***-end of the boat to move the direction you want it to go. As was said already most boats (esp. BassBoats) aren't designed to go backwards. Doesn't matter if it's a Skeeter, Ranger, 'Cat, Champ, Legend, Nitro, Bayliner or whatever.

I would not choose (nor discount) any particular brand over how well they back up. Once you get a handle on your boat and trolling motor backing up or maneuvering in traffic really won't be too difficult! :wink:
[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
MN

Post by MN »

I find myself useing my trolling motor more and more for backing up in tight place's you do have more control i think.Plus how far do you normally back up anyway,not much.
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

Morgan,
I know the exact problem your mentioning, and i can say that every boat i've ever had to back up at the ramp has done it - doesn't seem to matter which brand boat it is.

I've also noticed that water movement plays a big part of it too; especially on the delta. It's near impossible to back up into an incoming water/tide. Wind movement of water has the same negative effect.

If this is the case, the best solution, when there is room, is to forego the backing up and just go forward turning 180 degrees opposite from your original direction. Kind of like doing a forward u-turn. The boat usually will whip around real fast and get you going in the direction you wanted quickly.

Hope this helps,

kopper_bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Thanks for the help guys. It's usually when I'm in tight quarters like the ramp area at B&W or flippin docks or just before blastoff when the wind or tides push me too close to someone else that it really matters. I'll try the trim up higher next time.
Morgan