When did you start??

Mike

When did you start??

Post by Mike »

When did you first post on NCBF/WesternBass.com??

Mine was in 1999 or 2000. I first went by Flipper, then RaiderMike. Then Mike A, because Mike Kennedy already had "Mike". Then Mike Kennedy tragically lost his life in a motorcycle accident. Some time later WesternBass changed to the regestered name that they have now, and I decided to carry on the "Mike" screen name.

So, when was your first? (post)
stickbait

Re: When did you start??

Post by stickbait »

Long long ago.. heck so long I don't remember... need help from the old timers on this one..

I have not posted in a long while but still pop in and check on the guys some times

seaya
mark
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I don't really remember either, except D-Dawg was posting, as well as SSC (Strawberry Short Cake), come to think of it so was Stickbait, Cooch, kb, and a whole lot of others that I don't recall right now..I know I started posting right after I moved next door to Calero, across McKean to be exact..Those were the good old days and they have only gotten better..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

It was June 1999 for me. I went by Kevin or Kevin Johnson until Craig Miller gave me the nickname "Hollywood" and I believe that was in 2000 or 2001 when 100% went to westernbass and had pro/ams... Ah. The good ole days for me;.......

Kevin
Jim Wilson

Post by Jim Wilson »

Back before the 1st NCC was even thought of. Forgot the year.

Jim Wilson
Jim
Eric Thoss

Post by Eric Thoss »

It was sometime in early 2000. I first posted under the name "ChampDriver".
ash
SpeedBump

Let me Think

Post by ash »

I believe it was 99' - 2000 still NCBF.com I was just introduced to bass fishin and found this site, ultimate bass.com and BFHP. I posted under Hawghunter but there was dom the hawghunter and some other hawghunter so I went with my club monicur SOCB (South Orange County Bassmasters Hawghunter) Now that I havent been with the club for a while perhaps I will just post as JMA - my initials.

Even though I was from SoCal I spent more time lurking and posting on the Northern Board as I was very intruiged by the style of fishing and some of the different go to techniques.

So I have been blessed enough that I grew up bass fishing with the internet and the Nutcases as a resource to grow my skills.

SO I BLAME YOU ALL FOR MY FINISH LAST SUNDAY ON FOLSOM :roll:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
JGB

Re: Let me Think

Post by JGB »

I'm not sure when, but I do remember Dom The Hog Hunter stirring the pot daily and I'll never get that Crossbow reference out of my mind.

Jgb
Scott V.

Post by Scott V. »

Before Bob Taylor owned NCBF, it was just posting fishing reports. Bob started the forums. I posted the second week of the forums starting. I believe Pat and Cooch beat me by a couple of days.

Scott V.
Paul W

Re: A looooooong time ago

Post by Paul W »

I think I started on here back around 1997 or so, I dont think the site was very old when I first found it. I lived in San Mateo at the time. I think I've gone by a few names over the years, none of which I remember.

Paul W
TTCal

Post by TTCal »

boy... relative newbie here... late 2002 or early 2003. First went by "sdesign" and changed once the new forum was created and after being brought on staff by TackleTour.
Dennis "Cal" Shew
Enthusiast Tackle Editor
Tackle Tour : The Angler's source for tackle news and reviews
www.tackletour.com

[i]fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside[/i]
Gator

Post by Gator »

97 or 98, don't remember exactly. Started out posting with SSC and Cooch, Pat, Stickbait, DDawg, etc. Started out as a newbie to CA bass fishin and was searching the internet for info and stumbled across the site. Who knew that fateful day would lead me to where I am now.
Marc

Post by Marc »

When did Bob Taylor take it over? That is when I started. I have gone by Marc from the beginning and continue to this day.

ciao,
Marc
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

BBT (Before Bob Taylor). Back then I was known as "Steve & Butch" . Been a lot of water under the bridge since then!

Hardshell-Jailer
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

actually just before the 1st NCC at clearlake in 97 but like others dont post much but do checkin now and again...if any of u are around for the 100 % TOC on the 20th will be on the dock workin with Korny....jack
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Stickbait was already a member when I started, so was Cooch and Jailer, Bob Santora, sTony, Zeke, Nico, TonyB, etc. etc.; a whole bunch of other 'old timers'.
My first time posting was just after the first NutCase event on that rainy day in January. Nico got me involved.
But just like Mark, I can't remember what year that was.
We used to have a history page of all the NutCase events. Where'd that go?
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I think that page was Dana's I am not sure. That may be why its not up anymore. Seems to me there was a conflict about some issue, and there was a falling out of sorts.

(Is that vague enough? Its worse than a fishing question answer.)

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
sTony

Post by sTony »

Just so that everyone has a reference point the first Nutcase Classic was January 3, 1998 and was won by Jim Wilson on the Delta.

The TopSix was won by the Nutcases Saturday June 20, 1998. Here's a photo of most of the winning group:

The second NCC was in spring of 1998 at Amador and Korny won Big Fish and Cooch won TopNut.

ImageImage

The First Annual Pro Teen tournament was July 1998 and here's a photo of Jim Owens from CAST for Kids and Andy 'Cooch' Cuccia who's talking with Pro Angler Mike Reynolds.

The first Rally@Clear Lake was the same year a month later in August of 1998 and was won by Mark 'Stickbait' Seaters.

Bubba and Tim were at the CAST Shootout on Calero put on by Mike Rexford in November of 1998. Tim won by the way.

Ol' DropShot Bob Santora then went back to back on TopNut honors in 1999 with wins at the Delta and Folsom.

And then Doug Watson won the second Rally@Clear Lake also in 1999.

Which means next year will be the Tenth Anniversary for both the Pro Teen event and the Rally! And for guys that have been around since the beginning of the site you've been hanging around here for over 11 years!!!!

There is a 'chronillogical' perspective fer y'all!!!

sTony
Last edited by sTony on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gator

Post by Gator »

How's this for a blast from the past??

This thread reminded me that I have a lot of the old stuff archived. These pic are from the original NCC. When I get back from my hunting trip I will get to work on building the NCC pages. Also, if you have pics of the events to share, please let me know.
Gator

Post by Gator »

Dang - sTony beat me to it - LOL
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

I didnt know cooch had brown hair??
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

December 1995 was when I posted my first fishing report on the Delta fishing page. I remember this only because after a year of fishing together, Rick Kraft and I won our first Delta team AOY title in some obscure circuit I don't remember. I posted the tournament results of the last tournament we won to take AOY. Back then, basically all the site contained was a variety of local fishing reports. I don't know who owned it then, I then recall one day during the summer of 1996 I got an e-mail from some guy named Pat Dilling that said I should come introduce myself on the new Forum put together by the new owners of the sight. The link was like WWW.TAYSYS.NorthernCaliforniaFishing.COM or sumptin like that.

From those infant days, I remember Pat, ScottV, Hippie, HawgHunter(Jerry Noble) and Chris from those very first few weeks. Then it seemed to grow very fast as we all began to inform our friends and word got around. Kind of amazing we've grown to 2742 registered users, and only the Lord knows how many are out there that just lurk as guests!

Personally I think it's been a great association for me to be involved with one of the biggest mega BASS fishing sites on the net! This site and the folks here, have all been instrumental in one way or another in advancing my career in bass fishing, as well as who I am as a human being. Been one of the more memerable stepping stones in my life! More importantly, the friends I've made since....... PRICELESS!

HAIL to NCBF.COM and WesternBass!
Last edited by Cooch on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Shambre

For me, I believe it was....

Post by Scott Shambre »

late 1997 or early 1998 under the handle NITRO DRIVER. I then went to BASSERONE then to my current Scott Shambre. What a long, strange trip it's been!!!!

Scott Shambre
Jeff Jewell

Post by Jeff Jewell »

It was in 1998 I think, I went by JJtopwater back then. I rememeber Conlow was Spinnerbait at the time, One of my first posts Cooch and discussed San Pablo reseviour.
When in Doubt " Set the Hook"
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Somewhere in 99 or 2000. I know because I had bought my Champ a 2000, and ran into Hookpoint, Rich Thiel at Bare es uh and BSd for awhile. I told him my name was Andy and I was from the Delta. He said,

"Well you aren't Cooch, because I KNOW that that guy."

I told Rich, that phone calls to fishing buddies were costing me a fortune, and he asked if I was on the net. He gave me the skinny about 24 hour bass fishing on NCBF, and I have been here being a pain ever since.

So if you get pissed at me, thank Hooky. :D

A.G.

P.S. Dom has started some big threads, but I still feel guilty about starting the huge fricken mess about the young Cuban boy.

A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Dom

Post by Dom »

I remember being new to the whole internet thing and I got this letter by e-mail (Spam) somthing about send 3.00 to 10 people etc.. I had no idea what spam was back then and I posted it on NCBF about the end of 1996. I was slammed by Cooch,Jerry etc..
I apoligized and was already fishing the delta from the bank and a few ponds I knew of around Tracy and Oakdale so I started my first post which was my apoligy for the spam as HAWGHUNTER I was again slammed and told Jerry was Hawg Hunter So Cooch did his Coochification and I was Dom The Hawg Hunter The rest is history I join the manteca Bassin Buddies and fished the club events and posted here quite often if you do a google search Dom The Hawg Hunter you will find fishing reports from way back I posted. Anyway I remember a time when guys Like The California kid,Big Dave,Colebass,Pat Dilling,KB,Dean Saults,Cooch,GW,Hitman,Smitty and a host of others were on here daily some of us fished the FPT it was good times.

I am happy with the way NCBF has turned out like myself it has learned from its mistakes, made changes, grown and matured over the years. Seems we have a new set of hungry anglers every year some stick around and some dont but one thing is for sure yall always managed to put a smile on my face Like the hate thread "now thats funny,right there...... I dont care who you are.!" :D

I have butted heads with a few people on here but on the other hand I have made some great life long friends on this site and I dont hate anyone, I might get mad but like my mama told me years ago I can get glad in the same pants I got mad in. :D

Hippie/Mark Yall can call me new NCBF or OLD don't really matter to me becuase either way I plan on sticking around for ALONG time. :D

Tight Lines
Dom
Tight Lines Dom
Ralph Harkins

Post by Ralph Harkins »

I got started as rdawg by jdawg my brother. Back then there was J-dawg, R-dawg, D-dawg. This was back in 1996-1997. There has been many to post on here and many to get Pissed off on here and never to post again. Many friend made and many friends lost. This has been a place where we could talk, b@t#h, fight and fuss any time of the day. Thank god for america. THis has been a place where we aired things like frinds, fathers, mothers, son's, daughters, dogs and even boats dying. We can put it in here and know some one some where cared. THank you!
We all have learned some thing for some one over the years. Where it is there fishing hole or how to throw a new bait or how to set up a boat.
I want to thank ever who started this. If that person could of seen how much $$$$ sTony is making now, Do you think they would of sold it back then?
Thanks for the friend ship to all I have made in the past years and hope to make many more in the next 10 tears.
www.tritonboats.com
www.reactioninnovations.com
www.galaxiemarine.com
www.dobynsrods.com
Pat

Post by Pat »

I actually don't recall the date, seems like I have been on here for a long time. Not so much anymore, but it is still the home page on my browser and probably always will be. Like Cooch i used to read and post fishing reports on Northern California Bass Fishing, aka NCBF. I have been trying to rememebr the guys name that had the page for the last 3 hours and still can't get it. He finally lost interest and needed the server space and sent emails to Scott Vaughn, me and a few others asking if we knew anyone who might take it over. Scott (I think) got in touch with Bob Taylor, who had a great fishing log software and Bob ended up taking it over. As others said Bob started the forum. This thread has brought a bunch of the original posters out of the shadows for sure. I have met so many good friends on this forum, I met Cooch in person for the first time at a Redman tournament our of Big Break. Did not know what to expect, but he immediately treated me like a brother and we have been like bros ever since. Also met stickbait at a Redman when we drew each other and told him about it. Mark was a newbie at computers and I remember him complaining when we were chatting on ICQ one night that his one finger was getting really sore. Man he was a slow typer! So many friends, Cooch, Mark, Scott, Dean, Steve, Chris, Dana, Brat, FIT, Rex, Korny, sTony, Cal and the list goes on and on, I don't mean to leave anyone out. Some are still here, others have gone on to other things and some are no longer with us. Through this board I have had the best fishing experiences, and some of the best friendships of my life. Heck hanging around Cooch I even found my love of the blues, which has become another great part of our lives. Well sorry if I am getting teary eyed, just like the Budlight comercial, I love you guys!

But now I gotta go get stuff ready cause I'm goin' fishin' tomorrow!

C ya Pat
rexford

Post by rexford »

I don't know when I first started but it was looong ago and
I have met so many great friends. I remember meeting
everyone in person for the first time at Cooch's house
and feeling welcome and like I had known them for ever.
That night we decided to dump the Titanic for the Pro Teen
award and the following weekend I was invited to fish my
first ever tournament with Dean.

I was not the first Coochification but Steve Greene often
reminds me that I have one. Hey Bonehead!! Yup thats me

Bonehead, Rex, Mike Rexford, NCBF Lackey
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Bob had black hair?? 100% must be stressful, HA! :lol:
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

1997 or 98. Met this fish catching son-of-a-gun named Micster and joined the West Vaslley Bassmasters. Micster introduced me to Cooch and it's been on since then.

I learned the dropshot with Tom Guersio in 1998, who learned it from Ish. We caught over 50 fish the first day we tried on a freezing January day with S20's. We kept it secret for about a year.

Ben Williams got me hooked on the Delta in 1996. He borrowed a Viper with a 300 on it an ran me around the dalta at 80+.
Sold my golf membership the next week and bought a boat.

Time sure flies...
Dave Mayo

Post by Dave Mayo »

Gosh! wow been awhile i'm thinking 1998 late early 1999 just got into bassfishing..i started out as Big D then Big Dave and now just Dave Mayo...boring isn't it? hehehehehe
its been great meeting all of ya at the rally's and turkey shoots and local tournies..I havn't made a ralley appearence in while but ill make the next for sure...ive fished all but the first Pro-Teen events just love that idea..wish i could have done that as a teen i'd would have started bass fishing alot sooner for sure..its really been a great learning tool having this forum...i've done well with the info shared here and thats what this formats about and the commeradery(spelling)between us as fisherman lets keep it going and and lets not take it to serious then its like a job and not fun we need a break from the real world sometimes well at least i do thats why im fishing...
well i know i rambled on so i hope to see you all real soon

tight lines and big wieghts

Dave
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Wow, all those old, familiar sounding handles from the NCBF era! I think I started lurking here regularly around the '97 or '98 timeframe (when I developed an interest in bass fishing again)--before that I mainly read BFHP.

I remember how I used to enjoy reading Jerry's reports for Shasta even though I don't fish that body of water. I was just scanning the Shasta reports the other day and it was mentioned that Jerry was "runoff" the board by tourney guys for being too detailed with what was working for him and by people who complained about his mentioning of his preferred brand of worm. That's too bad about the shabby treatment--anyone know the story behind that?
sTony

Post by sTony »

Jerry Waltman was told time and time again he could post whatever he wanted to post. There were complaints from more then one of our advertisers at the time about the spam nature of his reports but a couple years ago I talked with Jerry on the phone while I was in Long Beach working the Fred Hall Show and told him flat out to go ahead and post what ever he wants when ever he wants. Despite that he's boycott the site ever since and frankly if that's the way he wants it then that's the way it'll be. To my knowledge Jerry sends out reports via email to anyone that wants his take on what's happening on Lake Shasta.

sTony
Blue_R70

Post by Blue_R70 »

Thanks for the backstory, sTony...
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Your right on Tony. Jerry has helped many people out and he is a good dude. I finally met him last year @ the Shasta Bassmasters. When Bob was running the site I joined with the likes of Cooch and Pat/Sault. All I can say is that I wished I had not made excuses or been too busy to do the fraternal events because this group of people on NCBF is the finest I have ever met. God willing, there is time for all of us to share our passion that nobody can ever take away :lol: Richie Rich
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Wally

Post by Wally »

WoW, This question sure brings back alot of memories.
Been on here since the dinosaurs were here. Went to the 1st NCC and fished with Mark S. , Pat D. and Tony B. We all filled up on Dana's clam chowder, Cooch's sausage and my wife's potatoe salad. I remember all the posts the next day about how to clean the mud in your carpet in the boat, lol.
My youngest son, Jarrod @ 13, and I were also at the 1st Pro-Teen and barbequed the chicken and helped launched and parked the pro's vehicles. That's where I first met sTony and a whole group of other fine fishermen. D Dawg was my son's Pro and they took 11th place. Still have the trophy hanging on the wall in my shop. Hard to imagine Jarrod was only 13 and now he is a college graduate with a degree in engineering.
I have definitely learned alot from this site and am gratefull to everyone that has helped me.
gofish, Wally
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

Today, hi guys!
LL
Cooch

Welcome aboard Slippy!

Post by Cooch »

You are officially a NUTCASE now! HAR! HAR! HAR!
Colebass

A long time ago!

Post by Colebass »

1996 or 1997.........it was another site.

Then NCBF.com with some great guys and fun string of post. Most are gone now, but still some interesting post! :D

I started a site called westernbass.com, then my little brother left for college and I couldn't maintain the site. Sold name to sTony and now that money making, boat wraping, fishing machine has me wondering? :lol: :lol:

Nice job with the site Tony, Cooch and Gator!
Dave Cole
tommypV2

Imma johnny come lately..

Post by tommypV2 »

early 1999, i guess. I lurked for a while before that. posted as TommyP. The funnest posts for me were the 'initiation' posts, the "dawg" posts (where everyone changed their name to [insertname]-dawg. I remember all the folks you mentioned here and others like Angel, and fivebags :). Found some great people to hang with including Mayday and Old Dawg.
Back then was a time when folks spent more energy poking fun, growing the sport and having a good time rather than complaining about all the ills of the world.. of well - all in all, it's ALL GOOD.

If there ever was a MVP award over the years for this site, it would be a tossup for me between Cooch and sTony. Both you guys stand out for me as loooooong time contributors to the site & bassing in general - in different ways, of course.. Thanks to all the old guard for sticking with it for so long, and being there when i came back. <sniff!>
Santora! I still owe ya a big favor for getting me into the 100%. I'll have something for ya at the TOC.
aka TommyP - old school NCBF
FIT

Post by FIT »

I started posting in 1998 under Paul I think but after a midnight flippin lesson on the back of Cooch’s boat at the second NCC I became known as FIT, thanks to Cooch and his Coochification . I also had my first real “bass boatâ€
Jim Conlow Sr.

I think it was 1998 for me too as "Spinnerbait"*NM

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

*NM*
Jim Conlow Sr.

Be careful Slippy it is very adictive*NM*

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

*NM*
bassindon69

Re: Be careful Slippy it is very adictive*NM*

Post by bassindon69 »

Don't know.. it's been years....LOL! Made a few new friends.
I am trying to let go a few years and stay young :roll: LOL!

Best of luck to all.

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Fishin' Dave

Re: Be careful Slippy it is very adictive*NM*

Post by Fishin' Dave »

I never pictured you as a spinner Jim. HA! Jim Spinnerbait Sr.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.