paying sales tax on used boat ?........

bassrman

paying sales tax on used boat ?........

Post by bassrman »

after buying a used boat!(or truck?),how long can you wait to pay sales tax when registering it ?,is there a penalty for waiting to long ?
Slippy

Re: paying sales tax on used boat ?........

Post by Slippy »

i waited about 10 months, i hope this helps.
LL
kopper_bass

Post by kopper_bass »

bassman,
thats a trick question - sorta.
You HAVE to pay the sales tax at the time you register. there's not choice! In order to register the boat, you'll be required to show proof you payed sales tax, or pay it there instantly.

How long you wait to register the boat & trailer in your name after buying it is your discresion., but don't be fooled. The previous owner has 5 days after selling it to notify the DMV that they sold the boat/trailer and thus are releasing themselves from liability for any incident involved. Otherwise, they are still the legally registered owners of the boat and they are also penalized, even though you bought it. DMV controls the title of the boat via the registration, so until you register it, you don't own it!

This is how the DMV now knows you are the new owner and Yes, there is a penalty and it's pretty steep.

Of course, there are things you can do to minimize the tax you pay; such as:
1 - make up a bill of sale for a lower amount (dont go crazy here, as they know approx. what a decent boat is worth and wont accept that you bought it for 1$).
2 - itemize the bill of sale. cost of boat, cost of motor, cost of trailer, cost of electronics. Reason is: you only pay tax on the boat and trailer, not the motor or electronics!

After you register, it will be 6 months or so before you get a bill from your local county gov't asking for their property tax money, but trust me it will come!

You can check it out here:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boattransfer.htm

good luck,

Kopper_Bass
Nobody remembers who came in 2nd place. Fish Hard - Play Hard!
Slippy

Post by Slippy »

kopper_bass wrote: After you register, it will be 6 months or so before you get a bill from your local county gov't asking for their property tax money, but trust me it will come!
yes they will come looking for there taxes. mine was about $200.
LL
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

it says you are suppossed to reregister the "vehicle" within 10 days of purchase-i waited about....35 but there was no fines or anything which actually surprised me!
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

bassrman wrote:after buying a used boat!(or truck?),how long can you wait to pay sales tax when registering it ?,is there a penalty for waiting to long ?
Man you need to do it as soon as possible, if you out there running you boat without it in your name and without Insurance, your asking for nothing but trouble. Same with just running down the road :?
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

That is correct...it says right on the title you are not allowed to put the boat in the water until it has been registered in your name or something to that affect. I dont know what they would do if you did but I know the fines and ticket would be a WHOLE lot more that registering it-SHHHHH but I still cant believe in this state we get by with paying so little for boat/trailer registaration/license!
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Cal makes up the extra money that they don't get you for at the DMV when they send you the Tax Bill for your boat every year. This is the 1st year I have had to pay it ( all my other boats have been reg. in Indania for the last 20 years) and it sucks that they get you both ways coming and going :roll: