Decoy Placement

Ken C.

Decoy Placement

Post by Ken C. »

What is your favorite or most effective decoy spread? Pattern, distance from the blind, wind direction, etc. for different situations such as small ponds, large ponds, open water such as Franks Tract or even in flooded timber situations?

[i][b]To the world, you might be just one person. But to one person, you just might be the world...[/b][/i]
[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/shred1080/misc/Disclaimer.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Kadota.jpg[/img]
The Lone Angler

Re: Decoy Placement

Post by The Lone Angler »

I usually hunt in flooded rice fields south of Yuba City. Our blinds are on checks. I usually use 4 triangle patterns with the longest point of the triangle away from the blind. For some reason, ducks, groups especially get decoy shy fairly quick. I try not to have the spread farther than I would shoot at a bird. I can't speak for hunting timber. One thing though, in a strong wind, my dad always says have the majority of decoys upwind of you and the birds will swing in closer for the shot. In other words, if you put decoys too far downwind, the birds tend to swing off the edge of your spread and we all know just hitting a duck in the wind is tricky, much less at 50+ yards.

hope this helps,
Phil Thunen
rickd

Post by rickd »

I was just reading an article on DU's site, it's worth the read.

http://ducksunlimited.com/Hunting/Decoy ... gPage.html
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I don't know if I really buy into patterns in my decoy spread. I think I have used every pattern known to man and have found myself to becoming lazier with each passing year.
Having said that, I do think that different situations call for different tactics but a couple of things always hold true.
Never have all your decoys facing one direction, never allow them to touch or bang off each other, create pockets for the birds to land in and hunt in your decoys.
If the wind is really blowing and I'm hunting on a check or an island, I will always bring my decoys onto the land or at least close enough to be protected. I have shot more ducks this way than any other. In fact, if it's a blue bird day and I can't get any birds working, I will do the same thing. If you have ever takin one of the "refuge tours", one thing you will always notice is that every island or check levy will be loaded with birds.....

James
lucas boden

Post by lucas boden »

patterns are extremely important either when the wind is blowing or birds that are not pressured. they will suck into your landing area if you know how to call good and call at the right time.

for pressured birds calling is even more important and so is decoy placement. small groups of birds and very little decoys is what i always do on refuges with very pressured birds. unless, like i said before, you have an AWESOME storm move in with stiff wind and rain.

i think calling is more important than decoy placement, there are too many people that do not know how to call and only use robo-ducks, this makes me SO angry because i have been blowing a duck call since i was 6 (now 18) and i still do not think i am awesome at blowin a call.

just my 2 cents from someone that has lived and breathed duck hunting every october to february his whole life...
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

There are so many variables that determine the outcome of a hunt that it is often hard to pinpoint what made the day succesful or if some changes were made, would it have made it more succesful.

I agree that good calling is key, when the birds are responding. If you watch the body language of a working bird, they will let you know what you are doing that they like and what you are doing that they don't like.

It's harder to get a read on the birds when it comes to decoy patterns. If you have birds working your spread but won't commit I suggest making slight changes. If the birds are commiting but are landing out of range, either your decoys are too spread out or you are justing placing yourself in the wrong position for the conditions ie; wind direction, sun direction. In that situation, I would try to relocate myself first, since the decoy spread is working. If there is no available cover to get in shooting lane of the birds chosen landing/working zone, then I would move the decoys to change the landing/working zone.

James
krpierce

Post by krpierce »

I really like my decoys spread out into "family groups". Usually we put 5-8 decoys in a group. I dont agree with having all your decoys with your gunnin range. Ducks will land outside of your decoys more times then they will land within them. Thats why my decoys are spread out as far as I can get them with space for ducks too land in. I basically try to make it look as natural as possible. I strongly agree with having decoys on checks and or islands. Calling can make a big difference too.
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

j-hook pattern works for me w/ or wo calling or w/ or w/o robo duk. leaves a nice area for them to land in. i shoot a 12 ga light and kill'm close w/ this pattern
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"