Does Speed really matter??

sTony

Re: I think the real and only point is that if

Post by sTony »

It doesn't always come down to the fastest boat ont he water gets to fish his spot first. If you 100th out you might be looking at other boats on your start spot solely because they had an earlier blast off number then you did.

For me, it's real simple, I'd rather get to a spot in one healthy piece with my gear still in and on the boat then beat myself and my fishing partner and our equipment to get to a spot. If I've done my job I'll have more then one place to fish in most cases. Rarely do I boil it down to one spot, do or die, and that's it.

sTony
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Sure Stoltz, spoken like a man with a slow boat, HA!

See that new $50k Ranger with a 250xs rolling down the street? It is seen by different eyes:

"What the hell does a guy need that big of a boat for?" said by guy with small boat.

"I just don't understand why you need a 250hp motor? I aint never caught a fish at 70mph" said by guy with 150hp motor

"That boat is just okay" said by rich guy.

"Rangers are slow tanks and cost too much money just for the brand name" said by Champion/Skeeter/Nitro/Triton owner

"I'd sure like to have a boat like that one day" said by guy with a wife with a frying pan

"Back in my day, a 90 horse on a 16ft boat was all you needed" said by man of many moons (PC for old guy)

"How the hell do you afford gas for that thing?" said by working guy

"That guy is just compesating for his "short" commings if you know what I mean" said by guy who has the "short" commings.

"Oh, I've got two of those at home" said by Jimmy Reese

"What the hell is that? There isn't even a wakeboard rack?!?" said by regular folk
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
sTony

Post by sTony »

Ouch, now that hurts Dave, hahaha.

sTony
Cooch

Hey Ball.............The only reason.......

Post by Cooch »

you like to go fast is two fold, ta win that bet with Bobby who said ya wouldn't jump, and ta set the land speed record for number of tumbles after jumping out of a boat at 70 mph! Hey, last weekend I was over at Pier 39, was that your new exhibit at Ripley's? HAR! HAR! HAR!
bassindon69

Re: Hey Ball.............The only reason.......

Post by bassindon69 »

Ok, I only do open tourneys and I have a 90 hp on a 17' I have placed many times in the top 3 so I say NO. I don't think at all that we would have done any better with a faster boat. It is infact time on the water and what you do when you get there. While everyone is racing from here to there, I am still catching them in the same spot.

Don.
Go Big or Go Home!
http://calfishing.com/gallery/v/members/bassindon69/basspics/
Slippy

Re: Does Speed really matter??

Post by Slippy »

Lazy M to Sherman..... Run up old river to Holland pass across Franks Track pass Fisherman's cut, spot Antioch bridge pass under stay to the right Sherman is about a mile from the bridge. About a 40 minute run, granted i may not be runnning 65 at all times but sometimes i can make up for the 40 mph spots by running 72 :)....... lets face it there is no speed limit on the water of 75% of the lakes that i know of so its fun to run.
LL
Jim Conlow Sr.

Yes what you say is true tony but

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

The guy with the fastest boat has more options at fishing different places on the water and maximizing the amount of time that his bait is in the water.
Speed certainly does not make you a better fisherman, and running around all over the lake may cause you not to catch fish that you would otherwise catch. Speed can be a too that you can use just as you use your tackle and lures. Used properly speed can give you advantages over the slower boats. If that were not true why wouldnt the major Pros be running 40 mile an hour boats.
Jim Conlow Sr.

Right on says I with many moons to have pondered

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Grasshoppers I have the many moons to have pondered the existance of my speed machine.
I Have pondered the question of those with shortcommings needing to get there faster. Not having those problems i can only take the word of those who do.

I do know that he with the faster boat gets there faster, but that the guy with the earlier draw may perhaps, but only perhaps get their first
I also know that he with the faster boat can stay there longer, and just perhaps get in a few more casts that may win him a slow boat that he can sell to someone else which will help to cut back on the compitition.
Jim Conlow Sr.

My trip record on my GPS shows my best speed at 76.4

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

I am not sure when I was doing that speed but I suspect it was sometime when I was alone with no water in my live wells. most times with two people it will do 71 to 72 when there is a light chop to create moer air under the pad.
If you get a chance look at the Legend on the trailer the configureation of the pad and the fact that it is clear back at the back of the boat is what very much helps its soft ride, cornering ability and rough water handling qualities.
In my opinion it is the best bass boat on the market. I would pay full price for a legend rather that drive anyone elses sponsored boat
Rob T

Nope - you should all use 90 hp motors...

Post by Rob T »

I've been fishing Clearlake and the Delta out of a 90 hp tracker for several years - caught plenty of fish-cashed some checks too.

Then again, I just got an Allison XB2002 with a Merc Racing 200/sportmaster/Mazco setup.

Should be worth a few extra MPH.

C-YA.

HAR!

Good luck, be careful, and God Bless,

Rob T
Jim Conlow Sr.

Write your name on the transom

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

Thats all any of us will ever see when you are running
Jim Conlow Sr.

Yeah I have that same not catchin em problem

Post by Jim Conlow Sr. »

But then once in a while I do
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

bones,
say you launch from Russos (delta) and take a run to say the meadows, go ahead and count in the idle time in areas up near wimpys if you want... one boat goes 60mph and the other goes 70mph and both leave russos at the same time...you dont think that you would gain more than 5 minutes of fishing time from the time you arrive at the meadows and the time that you get back to russos. I guess I was looking at it like a mile per minute (miles per hour)- 60 MILES PER HOUR....ya know :D
I am not being a smart Bass or anything, you just gave me another way to look at it - thanks.... I still think more money more better
same goes for the motor.. :lol:

Walker
Lance

Post by Lance »

But Bones,

How many casts can you make in that 5 minutes, or that 2.5 minutes. Throwing a Jerkbait or any sort of reaction bait you will be able to make at least 15-20 more casts in a 5 minute period and 7.5-10 more casts in a 2.5 minute period, and this is just usinig your example of 1 way numbers, these numbers would be double when concidering a "round trip" How many guys have caught fish in those last minutes.
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

So, one train leaves St. Louis at the same time as train 2 leaves New York City bound for Atlanta. If one travels 5.467 MPH faster than the other train with consideration to the age of the driver vs. how many beers the short guy in train number 1 orders in the dining car against how many glasses of wine the tall girl drinks in the dinning car of train 2 considering 3 snakes are on the tracks of train 1 and there is a 2 MPH head wind against train 2 excepting the fact that train 1 has 1.224 more fat men than train 2 and the grass is greener in St. Louis than New York......

Who will arrive in Atlanta first and by what margin?
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.