Getting Pummeled

For political discussions
Marty

Getting Pummeled

Post by Marty »

The name Rodney King became a household word because of a videotape. Although King received the beating, it was the Los Angeles Police Department which got the black eye.

Now, a new video available on YouTube raises some of the same questions about LAPD misconduct. The video shows one officer holding down a suspect while a second punches him repeatedly in the face. While these few seconds of video certainly look bad, it is possible they are out of context. It is alleged that the perp had reached for one of the officers’ firearm. Therefore, an investigation may reveal that the totality of the facts are less clear than they appear on tape. Still, one thing is relatively certain, the alleged gang member who received the beating—although without serious injury -- and his lawyers will be smiling all the way to the bank. It is taxpayers who will end up the real victims.

It is important to acknowledge that police officers are often forced to make life and death decisions on the spur of the moment. And yes, sometimes they make the wrong choice. However, the need to decide in haste cannot be used as an excuse by the Los Angeles City Council.

The Council has voted a monetary award to a black firefighter who had dog food mixed into his food by colleagues. Like the videotaped beating, the initial conclusion one reaches is that this is a significant harm inflicted on the firefighter and some level of compensation appears justified.

However, in the words of Paul Harvey, it is important that we learn “the rest of the story.â€
bassrippin365

Re: Getting Pummeled

Post by bassrippin365 »

marty ,it seems its becoming more clear on a daily basis that todays world is a double standard place.tonight when i was watching tv i came across a program called kings of comedy.For the first twenty minutes i watched in disbelief how the comedian made references to the difference between blacks and whites.Now i don't know how that is acceptable,but the whole kramer thing is all over the news and the computer.Like i said it amazes that it is okay for for people of certain ethnic backgrounds to say whatever they want and that's okay.But if you are white you had better watch very closely what you say and do otherwise its racist(aka the trump card!).If things aren't going my way then i'll just play the trump card.
Fishin' Dave

Re: Getting Pummeled

Post by Fishin' Dave »

The only solution; keep speaking out. Let people know this is unacceptable. If you want to be equal, than be equal.
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.