Slow Day Near Rio Vista and Sherman Island

Polebrother

Slow Day Near Rio Vista and Sherman Island

Post by Polebrother »

Went fishing with my brother Saturday, Dec 2...launched from Brannan at about 8:30 a.m. Trolled west bank for nada until 11:30...rebels, Yo-Zuris, and bombers. Started bait fishing near power lines with sardines and shad and picked up a 4-pounder on butterflied shad right at the turn of tide while the boat was in mid-swing. Thought we were in for a good bite but we had no other significant strikes for the next hour. Went back to trolling the west bank but still couldn't muster a strike. On the way in just before dark decided to try the route inside Decker Island just for grins...couldn't do any worse. Well, nearly 3/4 of the way around the island we picked up our first trolled striper of the day in 8 ft water on a gold broken back rebel with white trick worm trailer...20 inch fish. Off the water ten minutes later, recovered boat in near darkness. Water temp was 56 degrees most of the day. I've been told that when water temp drops below 60 degrees the stripers become far less active. That was certainly the case for this particular trip. Still great to be on the water...we had an enjoyable day. Oh, no bragging rights as we both got one apiece. I had been talking a little smack until my brother's "miracle" fish presented himself at Decker. That made the ride home bearable for him.
lucas boden

Re: Slow Day Near Rio Vista and Sherman Island

Post by lucas boden »

san andreas shoals was always a good area for us when we used to throw bait... never got big fish, but always got bit. 20 inch stripers are killer on crappie rods!